PDA

View Full Version : Fiber Lasers

Mark E Wilson
03-31-2015, 9:04 AM
I'm looking for some information on fibers, specifically galvo. Interested in it for promo product marking (quick through put), marking of plastics, and metals (specifically knives and guns). My CO2 does okay, but I would like to step it up a notch.

I would love to get some feedback on some Chinese models. Huge price difference between them and some US made version. I would like to buy US and would certainly consider a used machine.

Thanks,
Mark

Dan Hintz
03-31-2015, 9:13 AM
I would love to get some feedback on some Chinese models. Huge price difference between them and some US made version. I would like to buy US and would certainly consider a used machine.

The huge price difference with fibers is for the exact same reason you see a similar price difference with CO2 models... you're paying for tech support, quality control, and higher-quality components. As with the CO2, many happily get away with a Chinese machine, while others prefer the stability of a western machine.

Gary Hair
03-31-2015, 10:52 AM
I've got a G. Weike 30 watt fiber and it has worked out really well for me. Dan is right about the tech support but the quality of the machine is way beyond what they do with co2 machines. It may not have the finishing touches like the big brands may have, but the working parts of it are functionally identical to what you would pay several times more. I have recommended their machines to a few people and I know of at least two that have bought them and are doing quite well with them! It's not like the Chinese co2 machines where they have glass vs metal tubes, the fiber source is virtually identical and performs as well as it's more $ counterparts. The software is lacking but functional and the support is almost non-existent, but the more people that buy them the better support network we can put together. If you want specifics feel free to email me ghair at nwlaserimage dot com

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-31-2015, 5:23 PM
The software is lacking but functional and the support is almost non-existent, but the more people that buy them the better support network we can put together.

Do you have to use their software or can you use Corel Draw?

Gary Hair
03-31-2015, 6:55 PM
Do you have to use their software or can you use Corel Draw?

I use Corel for all the initial drawing but you have to use their software to send it to the laser. The processing needed for a fiber is 100% different than a co2 and can't simply be done within a driver like you can on a co2. Sometimes it's frustrating when I want to laser an image that would be a no brainer on the co2 but on the fiber it's a royal pita... and that's not because of the fact it's a Chinese laser, it's because it's a fiber.

Kev Williams
04-01-2015, 5:39 PM
I'm getting interested in a fiber also, 50w or more, but it has have at least a 12x12" engraving 'footprint'. These 100mm engraving area machines are useless to me.

Seems a gantry fiber in less that 500w doesn't exist...

Dan Hintz
04-02-2015, 6:30 AM
I'm getting interested in a fiber also, 50w or more, but it has have at least a 12x12" engraving 'footprint'. These 100mm engraving area machines are useless to me.

Seems a gantry fiber in less that 500w doesn't exist...

The Trotec Speedy 300 comes in a 50W package...

Tony Lenkic
04-02-2015, 10:00 AM
The Trotec Speedy 300 comes in a 50W package...

Epilog offers FiberMark 24 in 20, 30 & 50 W

Mark E Wilson
04-06-2015, 7:34 AM
Gary - does it run on SCAPS, the German scanner software? Did you deal with a state side dealer or go direct? Trotec contacted me because of the initial post. I'll give their machine a look. I'll send you a PM. I wish we were closer!

Mark

Scott Shepherd
04-06-2015, 8:00 AM
Gary - does it run on SCAPS, the German scanner software?

Mark

LOL, I don't think you'll find German scanning software running on the Chinese lasers.

Gary Hair
04-06-2015, 9:40 AM
Gary - does it run on SCAPS, the German scanner software? Did you deal with a state side dealer or go direct? Trotec contacted me because of the initial post. I'll give their machine a look. I'll send you a PM. I wish we were closer!

Mark

It uses a program called Ez-Cad. It is a workable program but nothing to get too excited about. I bought direct from G. Weike. I'll reply to your email later with more info, lots of work to do this morning!

Gary

Patrick Smithwick
04-11-2015, 4:30 PM
I have a Wisely 20W Galvo and am very happy with it so far as I've only had it a few weeks now. It does everything it is supposed to do and does a beautiful job. I am running the Ezcad 2.8 and it is pretty easy to operate. The manual is actually pretty good. Much better than Laser Cut manual I have for my CO2 laser. I find Corel works well with it.

Mark E Wilson
04-13-2015, 6:56 AM
Actually, a while back someone pointed me towards a Chinese fiber that ran on SCAPS. I gave up trying to get more information out of them.

Ken Tan
06-04-2015, 11:19 PM
I've got a G. Weike 30 watt fiber and it has worked out really well for me. Dan is right about the tech support but the quality of the machine is way beyond what they do with co2 machines. It may not have the finishing touches like the big brands may have, but the working parts of it are functionally identical to what you would pay several times more. I have recommended their machines to a few people and I know of at least two that have bought them and are doing quite well with them! It's not like the Chinese co2 machines where they have glass vs metal tubes, the fiber source is virtually identical and performs as well as it's more $ counterparts. The software is lacking but functional and the support is almost non-existent, but the more people that buy them the better support network we can put together. If you want specifics feel free to email me ghair at nwlaserimage dot com

Gary, did you get the LF20 from Weike? How much they quote you? PM will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Gary Hair
06-05-2015, 12:02 PM
It's an LF30 actually - the 30 watt version of what they show on their website. I bought it over a year ago so the price I paid is completely irrelevant and I won't share it now. Contact Lucy - han@wklaser.com, she will treat you very well!

Ken Tan
06-06-2015, 7:17 PM
It's an LF30 actually - the 30 watt version of what they show on their website. I bought it over a year ago so the price I paid is completely irrelevant and I won't share it now. Contact Lucy - han@wklaser.com, she will treat you very well!

Very much appreciate your feedback. Emily from Weike contacted me with two laser type, Raycus and IPG.

Which version did you get? How is the laser quality and speed holding up?

Gary Hair
06-06-2015, 9:21 PM
Very much appreciate your feedback. Emily from Weike contacted me with two laser type, Raycus and IPG.

Which version did you get? How is the laser quality and speed holding up?

Mine is Raycus. The quality is fantastic, can't imagine how it could be much better. The speed is fine as well. Being 30 watts, it does allow me to run jobs much faster than I could with 10 or 20 watts.