PDA

View Full Version : Trailer hitch for an SUV

Don Morris
03-30-2015, 11:26 PM
Looks like we're going to have to drive from the mid west back to the east coast hauling some family things including at least a desk. I have a 2013 Acura MDX. My initial thinking was to just have Uhaul install a hitch and rent whatever size trailer to fit our needs. I did a little research on Uhaul hitch installation and there were some very negative comments about slip shod work. I've helped my daughter-in-law put a hitch on her Hundai, designed to hold a bike rack. which wasn't too difficult. However, a simple bike rack hitch and one for a mid to large trailer is another size and category up. Anybody out there with experience and knowledge about this subject please comment. I won't have any other use for the hitch after this one time use, but safety is paramount.

Keith Westfall
03-31-2015, 12:23 AM
Why wouldn't you go to a hitch place and have the right one put on properly?

Rich Riddle
03-31-2015, 6:52 AM
How much weight are you talking about pulling? I ordered a hitch from JC Whitney for a SUV that bolted to the frame and worked great. Most "hitch places" will simply install one of those on a vehicle and charge you a premium for the labor. Wiring will add another dimension to the project.

John Lanciani
03-31-2015, 7:13 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufacturing-13354-Class-Receiver/dp/B001EOYIRW/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Acura|58&Model=MDX|744&Year=2013|2013&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

$123 from Amazon; bolts on, no drilling required. Add the wiring adaptor, drawbar, and ball for about another $50 and you'll be good to tow.

ryan paulsen
03-31-2015, 7:38 AM
Piece of cake, most require very little if any drilling. The wiring is also plug and play, especially if you don't need surge brakes. Uhaul can be hit or miss. I like etrailer.com for parts, very easy to confirm make and model as well as detailed instructions.

Matt Day
03-31-2015, 8:27 AM
Another vote for DIY and etrailer, another option with good prices is hitchesforless. I installed my hitch on my Subaru Forester and it was easy.

It's nice to have the hitch there if you need it (trailer, bike rack, machine rental, etc).

Don Morris
03-31-2015, 8:32 AM
I thought about a "Hitch Place" too, but also thought I'd be charged an arm and a leg. Plus, are they any different than having somone like Uhaul do it. I worked on my cars a lot when I could lean over the wheel well and my back didn't hurt. I remember taking out several transmissions to replace the clutch, etc. So, I'm OK with working from a creepy crawler. My hesitation is: the comments from etrailer.com on installation of a hitch on my SUV is that I would have to temporarily remove some in-place pieces, drop/remove the spare tire, and even with their electrical part, "MAY" have to go to an Acura dealer for some type of electrical connector. That didn't sound to me like a straight forward installation. Whenever you have to remove an in-place part, you have to "hope" the bolt/screw/whatever holding it in isn't frozen/won't strip/break during removal, and can be replaced without problem. That can be easier said than done. But bottom line, if I do it myself, at least I know what I've got and that the job will be done to whatever they spec. I guess I'm leaning on going to Amazon or a place like etrailer.com.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-31-2015, 9:05 AM
If you don't mind dealing with those little potential issues you mentioned, DIY. If you don't want to, a hitch store. The dedicated hitch people will be better than uhaul. It's not a hard job really but it is definitely something of a filthy pain. Personally, if I had the tools, I'd DIY. If I had to buy tools, take it somewhere.

ryan paulsen
03-31-2015, 9:24 AM
If you don't mind dealing with those little potential issues you mentioned, DIY. If you don't want to, a hitch store. The dedicated hitch people will be better than uhaul. It's not a hard job really but it is definitely something of a filthy pain. Personally, if I had the tools, I'd DIY. If I had to buy tools, take it somewhere.

I agree. If you have to start removing parts, you could be spending a bit of time on your back. You sound way more handy than I am, so it shouldn't be a problem for you. If you decide to get it done, definitely get it done at a trailer/RV place. Might even be worth it to price it out there before you order, that way you can decide if it's worth it or not.

Myk Rian
03-31-2015, 9:40 AM
Put one on that has a 2" receiver. Many more options afterward than a 1", or frame style.
Trailer hitches require high strength bolts into the frame. You absolutely cannot go cheap on that.
Have one installed.

Randy Red Bemont
03-31-2015, 9:43 AM
I agree. I would go to a hitch/trailer store and have one installed. They would have one that goes around your spare tire too. (At least they do for trucks.) You say one time use, but it may come to more down the road especially if you're equipped now to do it. You may already have a pigtail electric connection near your back bumper ready to connect to. Good luck.

Red

Matt Meiser
03-31-2015, 10:10 AM
I installed a Reese hitch and Draw-Tite wiring kit on my Escape. Hitch took about 30 minutes and only required a torque wrench and the proper socket in addition to some special snake wires included with the hitch. Wiring took about 90 minutes--had to pull the taillights and plug in connectors, route wiring through the bumper to the other side, mount the module, and route a wire up to the battery which was the hardest part.

Steve Peterson
03-31-2015, 1:34 PM
We recently put hitches on 2 different vehicles. One was done at a local U-Haul. They did a great job for less than $100 labor. This is about the breakeven point for me. I would have done it myself if it was any more.

I installed the second one myself using a mail order hitch. They are not difficult to install, but I haven't messed with the wiring yet. We just use it for a bike rack, so the wiring is not needed at this point.

The hitches are usually made as an exact fit for each vehicle. All you have to do is bolt them directly to the frame. It's not rocket science.

Steve

Jerome Stanek
03-31-2015, 1:52 PM
I installed one o my daughters Vue about 45 minutes all together.

Nike Nihiser
03-31-2015, 4:50 PM
Have you priced what it would cost to ship the stuff? Might be an attractive alternative.

Mel Miller
03-31-2015, 5:03 PM
I installed a U Haul hitch on my Odyssey, and it was fairly easy. I did go to Honda for the correct tap into the factory wiring. I also had Honda install a transmission cooler. That way, if there were ever any transmission issues, they couldn't claim I had damaged it due to overloading.
My hitch has a 1 1/4" receiver, standard 2" ball, and is designed for a maximum 3500 lb towing capacity. This is what Honda recommended for towing capacity so there was no sense going to a 2" receiver with 5000 lb capacity.

Bill Orbine
03-31-2015, 6:44 PM
Have you priced what it would cost to ship the stuff? Might be an attractive alternative.

Or.......rent a truck/van...one way. Beats beating up the family car!

Wade Lippman
03-31-2015, 7:07 PM
. My initial thinking was to just have Uhaul install a hitch and rent whatever size trailer to fit our needs. I did a little research on Uhaul hitch installation and there were some very negative comments about slip shod work.

I successfully sued Uhaul a couple years ago for a defective installation. Of course, the one near you might be more competent.

Robert Engel
03-31-2015, 8:11 PM
Don't DIY it. Let someone who knows what they're doing do it. Plus they'll do the wiring for you, which alone is good enough reason not to DIY it.

I've had 3 hitches installed by UHaul with no problems.

I think it depends on the person, not the company.

Myk Rian
03-31-2015, 9:13 PM
Or.......rent a truck/van...one way. Beats beating up the family car!
Oh, I don't know. I've had hitches on 3 Pintos, a Festiva, 1 Aspire, and 2 Contours. No problems.

Mel Miller
04-01-2015, 12:47 AM
Oh, I don't know. I've had hitches on 3 Pintos, a Festiva, 1 Aspire, and 2 Contours. No problems.

Some really great cars there....:rolleyes:
:D

Don Morris
04-01-2015, 4:22 AM
Wade's having to sue Uhaul is why I'm leaning to DIY. Plus, I have to drive to Illinois from the East coat anyway and make the return trip with the stuff: dishes, desk, etc. Flying to the midwest with my wife, then renting a return Uhaul would be hugely expensive. Thus, a one way trailer seems the most economical, efficient way to do this. Additionally, there is a large number of people with positive experiences with DIY hitches that make the DIY process the most logical for me. Thanks creekers for the responses! That includes me putting one on my daughter-in-laws car, although that was just for a bike rack. At least mentally I've committed to the DIY route, and probably Etrailer.com. Etrailer has reasonably good videos on the installation. I did look at my torque wrench limit which was 80 lbs. The minimum needed is 90 for the Draw-tite model and 136 for the Curt. I'll have to go to HF and get the 1/2" Pittsburg Pro click torque wrench that goes to 150 lbs limit. The reviews on it were good and won't cost me a bundle like my old torque wrench that never made it back.

Jerome Stanek
04-01-2015, 5:54 AM
how big of a trailer are you looking to get.

Curt Harms
04-01-2015, 8:08 AM
If I ever need a hitch I'll look at Tractor Supply in addition to online. No shipping - (decent) hitches most likely ain't gonna be light.

Bert Kemp
04-01-2015, 2:58 PM
if its a one time thing why not just load your stuff into a pod and have them deliver it to your house??

Bryan Rocker
04-01-2015, 7:49 PM
Why wouldn't you go to a hitch place and have the right one put on properly?

Ditto and more importantly, if you stopped by a u-haul they would install the right one for your vehicle. I wouldn't consider a bumper mount hitch for any of the current SUV's since most of them are plastic........