PDA

View Full Version : Gennou

Brian Holcombe
03-30-2015, 9:03 PM
Just picked up one of these by way of So Yamashita.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/2014-06/E11854FD-220E-4292-9000-931AEF1AFD1E_zpsd6mcfrc2.jpg

I discovered this by way of Derek's website, so thank you sir!

Malcolm Schweizer
03-30-2015, 9:32 PM
Nice! Taking advantage of the yen at .0084 to the USD are we?

Brian Holcombe
03-30-2015, 9:45 PM
Thanks! Indeed, it's been very favorable lately so I have a few things on the way.

Winton Applegate
03-30-2015, 10:21 PM
Sweet !

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.
Peace oaf.

ken hatch
03-30-2015, 10:25 PM
Brian,

Beautiful. I expect it will function as well as it looks....congrats.

ken

george wilson
03-31-2015, 8:19 AM
Nice rhythm in the hammering. It takes real skill to get those hammer marks so much the same size all over. Some silversmiths should be so skillful.

Brian Holcombe
03-31-2015, 8:42 AM
Thanks gents, enjoying this tool addiction!

Derek Cohen
03-31-2015, 9:02 AM
Hi Brian

I think that you will like that gennou ... very much!

Did you make the handle or did it come with the head?

In my case I purchased only the Tenryuu gennou head from So ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/AHandleforaGennou_html_3018016f.jpg

The handle I made from Jarrah, with So's blessing, since he believes it has perfect characteristics. The shape and the head attachment are traditional. The handle is curved to identify the domed from flat gennou faces, while the head end of the handle is compressed until it can squeeze through the tapered fitting. It then uncompresses and becomes tight. There is a description on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/AHandleforaGennou.html

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/AHandleforaGennou_html_m73069e39.jpg
Enjoy!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brian Holcombe
03-31-2015, 10:04 AM
Its enjoyable to use as well. Interesting how the hardened faces transfer energy, maybe it's just me but it seems to drive the chisel harder than the heavier (750G) gennou I have with iron faces.

So made the handle and I did the final fitting and install. I'm still working at the install, ebony does not compress easily, so I'll keep 'installing' for a few more days to try and eek a hair more out of the compression fit.

Bill White
03-31-2015, 12:17 PM
The "tricks" in/of Japanese tooling and woodworking never fail to amaze me. Beautiful hammers guys. I'd be hard pressed to even use them.
Are they as expensive as I would expect?
Bill

Mike Holbrook
03-31-2015, 12:55 PM
I found the web site but it is a little hard to figure out in terms of what might be available for how much.

Derek site says he made his handle with a spokeshave. I am guessing there was a little more to it than that, but I have plenty of spokeshaves. Sounds like a fun project. I am planing to harvest wood from a few trees that came down in a storm not long ago, enough to make some chairs I hope. There should be plenty to make a handle or two. I need to replace the handle on my splitting axe too...

Steve Voigt
03-31-2015, 1:25 PM
Its enjoyable to use as well. Interesting how the hardened faces transfer energy, maybe it's just me but it seems to drive the chisel harder than the heavier (750G) gennou I have with iron faces.

Brian,
Where does one get a 750 g gennou?

Brian Holcombe
03-31-2015, 2:20 PM
The "tricks" in/of Japanese tooling and woodworking never fail to amaze me. Beautiful hammers guys. I'd be hard pressed to even use them.
Are they as expensive as I would expect?
Bill

Thanks Bill,

They are about $200~

Brian,
Where does one get a 750 g gennou?

Sorry Steve, I misremembered, my first one is actually 675 G, I got it from Stu (tools from japan). It came with an oak handle which was fitted with a wedge. The wedge did not allow me to make it tight enough so I fitted it in the same manner as So Yamashito explains (also same as Derek Cohen).

The one I purchased from So is also 675 G, but he does offer one as large as 750G, but they appear to be sold out at the moment.

I truly had no purpose for buying the new hammer, just couldn't resist.

Steve Voigt
03-31-2015, 2:27 PM
Cool, thanks!

Jim Matthews
03-31-2015, 6:51 PM
Dude.

It's a hammer.

Brian Holcombe
03-31-2015, 7:06 PM
Japanese hammer addiction is quite dangerous, before you know it you will be looking at So's site or Tomohito's and you will be both questioning your sanity and wondering why not...

Stanley Covington
04-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Japanese hammer addiction is quite dangerous, before you know it you will be looking at So's site or Tomohito's and you will be both questioning your sanity and wondering why not...

They have drugs that can be used in recovery to help deal with hammer addiction..., but they didn't work for me...

Brian Holcombe
05-07-2015, 11:56 PM
They have drugs that can be used in recovery to help deal with hammer addiction..., but they didn't work for me...

I have it bad....I needed a lighter hammer for light carving (or maybe I didn't, but too late now, lol)

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c181/SpeedyGoomba/edc61c553d2aa31b588920c2e283712f_zpsbel91wqq.jpg

i'll post some pics once I receive it and attach the handle.

ken hatch
05-08-2015, 12:30 AM
I have it bad....I needed a lighter hammer for light carving (or maybe I didn't, but too late now, lol)

i'll post some pics once I receive it and attach the handle.

Brian,

They are beautiful. Too bad I've over spent my tool budget this month, of course I could say that most months :)

ken

Brian Holcombe
05-08-2015, 7:21 AM
Hah, I know that feeling.

I've only got one on the way, I like to dabble too much for a full collection. Luckily I've managed to avoid falling in love with the wood grain patterned tools.