PDA

View Full Version : Motor info lookup?

Jonathan Freinkel
03-30-2015, 5:37 PM
I bought A 1.5hp motor from grizzly about a week ago to put on my planer.
The item is part H4324.
The listing says it's a NEMA56 frame so I assumed it was the same as my planer had. .

Motor arrives and its got a 1" shaft diameter and .440" keyway. 56 standard is 5/8" shaft.

When I called today because it's obviously not standard 56 I was told they has no specs. And couldn't tell me what it came from.

Does anyone know where I might find specs or a 3" OD pulley with a 1" bore and .440 keyway?

Bill Orbine
03-30-2015, 6:36 PM
Not only you have motor that doesn't match the NEMA frame size, you probably have a motor rated for different and probably higher hp/amps loads. It just may be over rated for your planer's electrical wiring/switches/relays even if you can fit it into you machine.

You don't know what you got, do you? .440 keyway........?????? For a 1" shaft, usually it's a .250 keyway.

Jonathan Freinkel
03-30-2015, 6:47 PM
Those are some good points! The claim of nema upsets me because it's a standard which is not the case.

I have amp meters so I could work that out but I like the point. Even if they gave me specs I would feel better about it

I'll email them tonight and see what they say and report back.

Erik Manchester
03-30-2015, 7:30 PM
Jonathan,

What does the data plate say about amperage and speed? As long as it is the same rating and speed as your old motor you can always find a pulley to fit the shaft, though I would go to a power transmission shop that will have it or be able to get what you need. If there is no data plate I would be taking the motor back to the vendor.

Jonathan Freinkel
03-30-2015, 9:38 PM
I just went to look and there is no data plate. What I really don't like is everything was sprayed green and half of the paint is sitting in the box as broken pieces of paint.

Here is the unit https://www.grizzly.com/products/1-5-HP-3450-RPM-Motor/H4324

Will see if they insist I pay return shipping and the restocking fee

Erik Manchester
03-30-2015, 10:03 PM
Jonathan,

Though it may have sold cheap, I would not place great faith in such a cheap product if there are no specs provided.

I prefer to spend a bit more upfront and be certain of what I am paying for.

Good luck with Grizzly.

Andy Booth
03-30-2015, 10:11 PM
Grizzly's photo shows a conduit box - Is there anything onside the cover. How many wires, Capacitor bump on the side?
The 1" does not match NEMA 56. Shaft sizes step in 1/4 increments and are 5/8-7/8 - 1-1/8".
NEMA dimension can be found here http://kurz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Baldor-NEMA-Frame-Chart.pdf.
or here http://ecatalog.weg.net/files/wegnet/WEG-weg-technical-poster-ustechposter-brochure-english.pdf

There is an IEC motor with a 24mm diameter shaft however the .44" key dimension does not seem right.
A key that wide would cut too much of the shaft off. The pictures on their website show shaft with what seems to be a large key.
If the key is removable you could make it a step key and have it machined to an ansi standard size. Don't try and file it by hand, keys need to be a precision fit. The ANSI key for a 1" shaft is 0.25 wide.
McMaster-Car has a pulley w 1" bore, search v belt pulleys.

I would be cautious about applying power until I had some nameplate or wiring data. Without a name plate you do not know correct voltage.

Bill White
03-31-2015, 11:48 AM
Are you communicating with Grizz customer service or TECH SERVICE? Somethin' doesn't sound right about this deal. I've never seen a new motor without a specs plate.
Just offering a suggestion, 'cause my discussions with TECH SERVICE has always yielded great results.
Bill

Jonathan Freinkel
03-31-2015, 12:06 PM
Are you communicating with Grizz customer service or TECH SERVICE? Somethin' doesn't sound right about this deal. I've never seen a new motor without a specs plate.
Just offering a suggestion, 'cause my discussions with TECH SERVICE has always yielded great results.
Bill

I called a few moments ago and talked to cust services. Told them I wanted to return the motor because the specs were off. I was sent to tech support and the guy was great. He took notes. checked with his boss and will send an RMA!
I also ordered a new motor that wasnt on sale and hope its as specified :)

Rod Sheridan
03-31-2015, 6:41 PM
No name plate?

Obviously no electrical approval then.

Send it back..........Rod.