PDA

View Full Version : Nova, Jet or Oneway?

Mike Holbrook
03-30-2015, 11:59 AM
So I have been studying on lathes for a few weeks now, making some posts here and on the Neander forum. I am making chairs, Welsh Stick Chairs and Windsors. I have been calculating on what work I can/could do with hand tools and where I might be able to use a lathe. I am finding out that just about everyone who makes chairs uses a lathe. I have a constant source of green wood on the property I live on that I would like to be able to make things with.

I started thinking about a used or mini-midi lathe but I have determined that I want to have the flexibility to turn bowls, plates etc. too. Here are some of the lathes I have found locally that I am hoping to find out more about.
1)A local dealer bought stock from an Atlanta Woodworking Show. They have a General International 25-114QC, 3/4hp motor, speeds 250-800, 550-1700, 1200-3600, this one has a bed extension on it and legs that come with it $994.47.
2) Woodcraft has: Nova 1624-44 $1399.99, Nova DVR XP $2399.99, Jet 1440s & the popular Jet 1642 $2344.99. I don't think I would go with the Jet 1440 vs a Nova 1624-44 for similar money.
3) Highland Woodworking has a Oneway 1224 that would represent the max lathe I would consider buying at $2,490.

Looking up the General Lathe it only weights 93lbs which makes me suspicious that it is substantially less machine than the other options and the 15% discount off list does not get me very fired up.

I am probably most interested in the Nova 1624 as I believe it will handle the size spindles I make with it's 24" between centers capacity. I am having a hard time justifying spending another $1,000 to move up to a Jet 1642, Nova DVR or the Oneway 1224. The Oneway machine has a smaller motor than the other options in that price range, but I suspect it is the most sturdily built machine.

Reed Gray
03-30-2015, 12:11 PM
Well, if you are considering doing bowls, you have 2 main choices from the above. They would be the Nova DVR, or the Jet 1624. They will be ample for doing bowls, and you would get along better with the 2 hp motors and 220 volt on either. Not absolutely necessary, but if you are doing anything approaching production work, the extra horse power is an advantage. The advantage of the Jet over the Nova DVR is the mass (much heavier), and speed changing. If you do a lot of turning, and switch back and forth from bowls to spindles, then variable speed is way better than the Reeves drive on the Jet 1442 or pulleys on the Nova 1624. The Nova DVR has a very slow ramp up/ramp down speed change button. You can do several 'preset' speed selections. The Jet has a 3 phase motor and you just twist a knob. Much easier. I also prefer the sliding headstock on the Jet to the pivoting one on the Nova. If you are doing legs and chair parts, you may want more than 24 between centers. The DVR has bed sections you can add on, and the Jet is pretty much long enough as is.

robo hippy

Mike Holbrook
03-30-2015, 12:48 PM
My main interest at this point in time is making chairs with green wood. I am also interested in making spoons, bowls and plates/platters. I am very interested in working with hand tools. There are many hand tool guys who make bowls with hand tools and I am sure I will want to try that too. For now turning is more a means to an end than my main interest. I suppose that could change, which is why I am not looking at smaller lathes with an extension. The leg stock I have at the moment is around 24"x2x2 red oak. I think Woodcraft is going to let me try out a blank or two on their floor models.

I just talked to Highland and they apparently sold off their Oneway floor models. I could still order a lathe through them but at this point they apparently are not stocking them. Sounds like the smaller Oneway with a 1hp motor might not be a good choice for me anyway.

I know the Jet 1642EVS is very popular and it has the 42" capacity. I am just hesitant to spend the extra $1,000 in case I need more capacity. The info I am looking at regarding the Jet 1642EVS says it has a 1.5hp motor same as the Nova 1624? I may have to move this thing myself too so size & weight may be an issue unless I scare up some help.

Thom Sturgill
03-30-2015, 1:27 PM
I have the Jet 1642EVS (1 1/2HP 115V) and one *strong* person could move and assemble the parts, two is much better. The weight works in your favor when it comes to turning a rough hewn green bowl blank. Jet does sell a 20" bed extension if 42" is not long enough. The sliding head is a great option for bowls and platters as it is best to work from in front of the bowl/platter while for spindle work (legs and stretchers in your case) you stand parallel to the bed. Of the options you listed, IMHO, it is the best general purpose lathe.

The OneWay also has an extension available and is the 'cadillac' of the models you mentioned. To me its appeal is the high top-end speed which I want for turning miniatures. It is also probably the most stable of the lot being constructed of heavy steel rather than cast iron.

A number of people on this site use and like the Grizzly lathes and are waiting the new model impatiently. Grizzly has a model (G0632) very similar to the Jet 1642 which is only $1500 delivered. Their G0733 which appears to be a clone of the Laguna lathe is currently $1845 delivered and has 18" swing and 47" between centers, 2hp 220v motor with EVS.

Mike Holbrook
03-30-2015, 5:37 PM
Thanks again for your help Thom. I went to Woodcraft and looked at the lathes today. They did not let me actually use one like the guy on the phone implied they would but I did get to put my hands on them. The guy I talked to thought I should go for a real Variable Speed like the Jet 1642 or the Nova DVR XP. He thought I would want that feature should I decide to turn bowls from the free supply of wood I have. The issue being it is another $1000 to move up to one of those lathes.

Why are the Grizzly Lathes $1000 less? I am guessing they are lighter and not as heavy duty...?

Dale Gillaspy
03-30-2015, 5:41 PM
Exactly. You get what you pay for. Many people are happy with Grizzly, and that is great. They just have a reputation for cheaper parts and difficult customer support. You will not be sorry you went for EVS. It is worth every penny.

Thom Sturgill
03-30-2015, 6:04 PM
Why are the Grizzly Lathes $1000 less? I am guessing they are lighter and not as heavy duty...?

Grizzly is a direct importer. We think we have identified the actual manufacturer and also some think they sell to Jet, Laguna, etc and modify the product paint and other details to match the specifications of the company.

The manufacturer of the Harrison Specialties Simple Hollowing system did a side by side comparison on you-tube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gtgKssFdE4&index=8&list=UUFqvjsRSWJbjyyP-4dCb1TA) of the Jet 1642 and the Grizzly G0733 18-47.

Jet, if they are not the actual manufacturer, is simply an importer that then sells to distributors rather than direct to customers adding another layer of costs to the final price. As to actual specs, I can not answer that. I would suggest that you contact Roger Chandler who started the 'Green Monster Group' here on SMC. He's leading the charge to get the new model.

Reed Gray
03-30-2015, 6:12 PM
Grizzly tools seems to be hit or miss in their 'hobby' category. Some times you get good things, some times you have to 'work' with them a bit. Both the Jet and DVR can be done with 220 volt. You get a little hp boost with that. For bowls up to about 14 inch diameter max, they are fairly easy to sell. Anything over that is a specialty market, so being able to do bigger isn't a necessity. I went with a big lathe not for the extra diameter I could turn, I wanted a 3 hp motor. The 12 inch Oneway is nice, but I found it to be kind of weak for a 1 hp motor. I have a Robust lathe, which is as good as any of the Oneway lahtes, but it has a sliding headstock, which I found to be a huge back saver when turning bowls. The pivoting headstock works, but takes more time to set up, and move back again, and then you have to fiddle with it a bit for 'perfect' alignment. Another side note, the amount you spend on the lathe is at best about 1/3 of what you spend on 'accessories'. I have a number of turning clips up on You Tube. Type in robo hippy.

robo hippy

Dennis Collier
03-30-2015, 6:43 PM
Grizzly is cheaper because there is no middle man mark up. You are the middle man. Its been established that the Jet, Laguna, Powermatic, Grizzly and several others are manufactured by the same company (Burt Group). I was considering the Nova 1624-44 as well until I saw the new Grizzly. Its an easy decision if you ask me.

Ralph Lindberg
03-30-2015, 9:16 PM
Grizzly tools seems to be hit or miss in their 'hobby' category. Some times you get good things, some times you have to 'work' with them a bit. Both the Jet and DVR can be done with 220 volt. You get a little hp boost with that. ...

robo hippy

Minor correction Robo, the DVR gets a power boost from changing from 110 to 220 due to the DVR motor. It's an odd duck in that it's sort-of a 24-phase motor and sort-of a Sycnro motor. Unlike the 1-phase and 3-phase motors in most equipment which do not.

There are lots of odd things about the DVR motor, which really requires the digital support electronics, unlike other variable speed lathes. But it also results in some nice features like the "stop the motor on a hard catch". I also like the "boot at 500rpm, no matter what speed you were at when you turned the lathe off". Eliminates the "ah-!@#!!" moments when you accidentally turn the lathe on at 3
000 rpm, when you really wanted to start at 500.

Lloyd Butler
03-30-2015, 11:49 PM
If you are just getting into it, and you want to primarily do chairs, I would start with the Nova 16-44. It is not EVS, but the belt is quick to change and for spindles you will likely not be changing much any way. You can get bed extensions the same as the DVR. It is 110v, so there is no extra expense of installing a 220 line if you do not have one available already.

If you decide to move up to bowls the 1-1/2hp on the 16-44 will handle that. You will not be able to toss on a really wonky chunk of wood as the low speed is only about 200 rpm, but I have had no issues with anything I have asked of mine so far with a little prep work. The lathe is lighter than some if you get the hybrid legs, but you can get cast legs for it that will add extra weight.

The good part, is that it will not loose much value if you decide to replace it because you want to go larger and heavier in the future.

EVS is great, but if you are just getting into this then you will also need some tools, and what you save on the lathe initially will allow you some good tools to get you going.

Len Mullin
03-31-2015, 2:38 AM
EVS is great, but if you are just getting into this then you will also need some tools, and what you save on the lathe initially will allow you some good tools to get you going.

I'm sorry Lloyd, but, I disagree with this part of your statement. I was one of those guys that always tried to save a few bucks, so, I would always buy the cheaper models not the cheapest, but, cheaper of whatever I was buying. Then after buying what I wanted I would get a chance to try out a model with all the bells and whistles, every time I was sorry that I bought the lower model and would try to upgrade asap. That cost me a lot of money over time, upgrading I mean. So, I think that it is wise to buy the best you can afford when first starting out, then you won't have to think of upgrading and if you want to resell it, it will be a lot easier to sell if it is EVS.
Len

Michelle Rich
03-31-2015, 7:10 AM
having made numerous "green" chairs...you don't need a lathe at all..I made them with a homemade springpole for many years..only turnings are short & stubby pieces..i.e. legs & short posts. A mini-lathe is more than sufficient. All the rest of the parts SHOULD BE RIVED & SPOKESHAVED & run with the grain.. If you want to make bowls, any lathe that turns from 250??? & up will do the job. As for $$$, turning is not cheap..it is a $$$$pit..get ready to break the bank

Tom Brouillette
03-31-2015, 8:04 AM
310471Rockler puts the Nova 1624 on sale for $999 every now and then. I bought one in January, and have been very pleased with it. My buying criteria were a little different than yours. I wanted 110v, because my garage isn't wired for 220v, and doing so was not in the budget. I wanted it reversible for finishing, and wanted the rotating headstock for large work and easy access turning for small stock. Electronic speed control would have been nice, but belt changing is not a big deal, plus I don't change speeds that often. the 1.5 HP is plenty for what I need. It is a heavy beast. I put it together by myself, but needed my better half to help stand it up. Just my $.02.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-31-2015, 8:07 AM
Aren't you glad you asked? I'm sure everything is clear to you now. If you put 100 turners in a room and ask our opinion of what lathe to buy we can't help but recommend what we like best. After all that's what you asked us to do. Which ever you buy, enjoy and be safe.
faust

Roger Chandler
03-31-2015, 8:46 AM
Exactly. You get what you pay for. Many people are happy with Grizzly, and that is great. They just have a reputation for cheaper parts and difficult customer support. You will not be sorry you went for EVS. It is worth every penny.

My experience with Grizzly has been one of superb customer support, and while back some years ago, their line up of lathes were on the low end of tech and features, they have now caught up for sure. Their higher end lathes will match performance of the PM 3520b [I have turned on 9 different 3520b units and like them!] I have also turned on several Jet 1642 evs units, and I can say that the Grizzly G0733 and my G0698 perform on a par with them........

People, myself included form opinions based upon an experience........years ago, I would not even consider owning some makes of automobiles.........now those same makes have upped their game, and can rival most any American car on the road. Years ago, I would not even consider a Honda or Toyota.......I have owned one Toyota since then, and it was a great machine........My son owns a 2013 Honda Accord.....sweet ride! Things change! Companies who want to stay in business have to adapt and improve........that is the case with the higher end Grizzly lathes........now this is just my personal experience and opinion.....;)......yours may vary!

Mike Holbrook
03-31-2015, 9:41 AM
I read a good deal of Roger's thread on the new Grizzly's. Sounds exciting. Apparently none of the newer G0733's will be available for shipping until at least May, maybe April from what I read. I am also wondering how many they are making. It starts to sound like it could be a long time before someone interested in ordering one now could get delivery. Until Grizzly actually starts shipping we may not know. I am anxious to read Roger's report on his when he gets it. I believe Roger is up at the front of the line.

The G0733 sounds like it might be even more than what I need, but at the price it is apparently being offered at it might be hard to pass up.

Michael Mills
03-31-2015, 10:17 AM
I've had the 1624 for 5+ years and it has met my needs. Like Tom B. I never changed the speed for spindles and usually only once for bowls.
There is a convenience with electronic speed control, particularly with an out of balance bowl blank.
Tools-Plus shows the DVR at 1900 and free shipping. For some reason they are not showing the 1624 right now.

http://www.tools-plus.com/nova-lathes.html

Wayne Hendrix
03-31-2015, 10:34 AM
I think the best advice is to buy the best lathe you can afford when you buy one. You can turn smaller things with a bigger lathe but no the other way around. You will also never wish you had less mass and less power or that you lathe is not as rigid. I know lots of people work with non-variable speed lathes but I absolutely love the variable speed. I can go from roughing an out of round bowl blank at the capacity of the lathe to finishing a pen with the twist of a knob. And I can easily tailor the speed to exactly the material and tool to get the best finish.

So, according to Wayne, who really doesn't know much but likes to give his opinion.
- best you can afford
- more power is better
- heavier is better
- solidly built is better

From your list I would buy the JET 1642 EVS, or wait for the Grizzly, and I would save up the money to get one of those rather than compromising on something thinking you are only going to turn one specific thing. Once you have the lathe you will want to turn lots of things. Don't limit your options down the line by your choice now.

Thom Sturgill
03-31-2015, 11:57 AM
Aren't you glad you asked? I'm sure everything is clear to you now. If you put 100 turners in a room and ask our opinion of what lathe to buy we can't help but recommend what we like best. After all that's what you asked us to do. Which ever you buy, enjoy and be safe.
faust

Or what we know, which is what we like because that's what we own....

Steve Peterson
03-31-2015, 2:59 PM
I'm sorry Lloyd, but, I disagree with this part of your statement. I was one of those guys that always tried to save a few bucks, so, I would always buy the cheaper models not the cheapest, but, cheaper of whatever I was buying. Then after buying what I wanted I would get a chance to try out a model with all the bells and whistles, every time I was sorry that I bought the lower model and would try to upgrade asap. That cost me a lot of money over time, upgrading I mean. So, I think that it is wise to buy the best you can afford when first starting out, then you won't have to think of upgrading and if you want to resell it, it will be a lot easier to sell if it is EVS.
Len

I agree with Len. Variable speed is important to me. It is so nice to be able to fine tune the speed while roughing out a bowl. Many EVS lathes allow low speeds well below 100RPM.

Steve

Mike Holbrook
03-31-2015, 3:50 PM
All of the discussion is very helpful, it is what I wanted to hear. I learn a good deal from these discussions.

I do not have any problem spending money for nice tools. I do have a problem spending money for tools that collect dust. I put a subpanel with 220 in the room with my woodworking machines years ago. I think I can work a lathe into that room.

A table saw is many woodworkers favorite power tool. My table saw has not been turned on for quite a few years now. I do longer cuts with a Festool circular saw (with Festool vacum system) or a bandsaw. I do shorter cuts with hand/bow saws or restored miter boxes. My table saw has become a work table. If I find another home for the table saw I can work a lathe and probably a better work table/bench into the room. We all work in different ways that suit our preferences, style and physical skills best. One way is not better or worse IMHO.

I also heard some discussion which suggested variable speed lathe motors may have less torque/power at lower rpms vs a pulley system. The Woodcraft person telling me this prefered a variable speed machine though.

Reed Gray
03-31-2015, 4:01 PM
Some consider the variable speed to be a luxury. Well, once you have it on a lathe, you never want to go back to changing pulleys. It will for sure help if you want to sell the lathe some where down the road.

robo hippy

Ralph Lindberg
03-31-2015, 10:58 PM
Robo has an excellent point. True variable speed is something that once you get used to it, you will never go back.
My first lathe (when I knew about -><-) that much was a six-speed "Midi" lathe.
I quickly figured out I need actual variable speed, for various reasons I sold it and bought a DVR-XP.
I later decided I needed a small lathe for just finials and pens, for that I bought a 1014i and just left it at the max speed.

Then my DW got into woodturning and.... We have more tools, a larger "variable" speed Jet 1220VS, etc.

Some comparisons between a conventional variable speed lathe and a DVR powered.
* Conventional variable speed lathes still have to switch belts to maintain full power over the entire speed range, the DVR does not (newest versions provide full power from 100 to 5000 rpm). Even the best variable speed (3-phase) lathes have to have a couple belt changes to have full power at 500 rpm and 3000 rpm.
* Conventional variable speed lathes start at what ever speed you turned them off at. If you were turning a small spindle at 3500 rpm today, and put a bowl in a ColeJaw tomorrow and just flip the switch, it really wakes you up (DW did that just last week). The DVR -always- turns on at 500 rpm.
* Get a really bad hard catch with a conventional 2HP lathe and you might have a busted tool, do that with the DVR and it simply stops, and stays stopped until you restart the lathe.

Lloyd Butler
04-01-2015, 12:14 AM
I am ok with your disagreements. I have a jet 1014 evs as my first lathe, a busy bee 1847 ( same as the older Grizzly with DC 2hp motor) which blew the controller and now have the used Nova as well since I did not want to wait 4-5+ weeks for a new lathe to arrive as it was coming into the week before Christmas and in needed to spin stuff.

The Nova has been great, but does have some draw backs. I may look at replacing it in the future, but for now I can live if it and happily make lots of chips.

Steve Kubien
04-01-2015, 12:29 AM
I will throw my hat in with the DVR XP, with zero hesitation. If I could put that headstock/motor/computer on my Stubby S750 base and bed, I would do so without question. it is simply the smoothest lathe I have ever turned on with power to spare. The access one has for tools towards the headstock can only be matched by the Robust lathes.

I read a lot of comments from naysayers about its unusual method of changing speeds. People say that it is too time consuming as compared to turning a dial and I think this is the biggest load of bull I have ever heard. Hold the button down on the DVR and it ramps up in 100 rpm increments faster that you can recite the changes. If someone wants to speed up faster than that, ok. Just make sure no one else is in the shop and your life insurance is paid up.

Get the DVR. It is fantastic and you will never regret the decision (unless you want to make bowls over 16" as a regular thing).

hu lowery
04-01-2015, 1:18 AM
With your own wood source a beginner very much needs a variable speed machine and to get in the habit of dialing it all the way down when shutting down. I'm fairly certain that most will do exactly like I did and try to turn things they shouldn't and also have difficulties with chucks if they run out and buy one. Variable speed instead of a hard start to the mid range RPM's is huge. Also true that resell takes a hard hit without variable speed, more so all the time as variable speed machines get more common on the aftermarket.

One plus of the bigger throw on a lathe even when you aren't turning something large diameter is that it gets the lathe bed and banjo out of the way of your tools better.

You aren't likely to be happy with a small machine but a small machine with variable speed always has a good resell market. I would either get a very small machine which seems like all you need at the moment, or I would buy the biggest machine with variable speed that I could afford and sorta justify! I am turning on a fifteen by forty machine now and am on the waiting list for the G0766 myself.

The G0766 is close enough to the existing G0733 that I think we can judge one by the other. Also, per my conversations with Grizzly it seems that a hundred or more are coming in the first shipment and there are several shipments scheduled within weeks after the first. It appears that when it does ship the entire backlog will be filled with the first shipment or within weeks afterwards, less than two months. Of course I have no way to verify the accuracy of this information but based on what I was told I didn't worry about my place on the list being somewhere in the nineties. Not sure when the first shipment comes but I think the dam will break wide open when it does. I'm hoping to have my machine by the Fourth of July, maybe as early as the first of June if it ships May 22.

I have a lightweight swivel head machine and it has soured me on swivel head machines like some of the Nova's. I don't know if that is fair or not. A good bit of mass and solid lock-up everywhere is needed if you turn out of balance pieces. Nature of the beast with natural wood is that it is less than perfectly balanced even if cut completely round before putting it on the lathe.

You can't go too far wrong with any of the quality variable speed lathes. If you find it isn't what you want you are pretty sure to be able to sell it without taking a huge loss.

Hu

Bill Blasic
04-01-2015, 6:15 AM
If by your statement and what you would like to spend the Nova 1624-44 will fill your bill very nicely. You do not have variable speed so your not going to miss it and that lathe with belt changes (which are very quick) will allow you to do anything that any other of the lathes will do. There are tons of folks using that lathe and making great pieces. Until Grizzly actually puts that lathe on the ground your buying a pig in a poke. Now having said that for most people Woodturning is like a vortex that sucks you in. My flat woodworking shop is now used for storage for woodturning blanks. There are two table saws in there someplace plus a lot of other tools which have not been used for ages. I have had belt change lathes but once you get a variable speed lathe you won't normally go back. One of my lathes is the Nova DVR and the ramping speed of that lathe is not a problem as not all people are production woodturners. Use your gut and get what you think you need.

Mike Holbrook
04-01-2015, 10:01 AM
I have some prejudice for the Nova products due to the fact they are built in New Zealand, although I understand wiring and maybe motors or motor parts are added here. My wife's mother was a Kiwi which makes the wife a Kiwi. We have lots of Kiwi relatives. I appreciate the info on the Nova DVR's motor. Woodcraft plugged one in and turned it on for me the other day so the information above helps me understand the value of what I saw vs other variable speed and belt change systems.

Maybe the Tool-Plus.com deal for a DVR with stand and outrigger, free shipping, 2.3hp 220 motor... isn't a bad deal

Roger Chandler
04-01-2015, 11:11 AM
I have some prejudice for the Nova products due to the fact they are built in New Zealand, although I understand wiring and maybe motors or motor parts are added here. My wife's mother was a Kiwi which makes the wife a Kiwi. We have lots of Kiwi relatives. I appreciate the info on the Nova DVR's motor. Woodcraft plugged one in and turned it on for me the other day so the information above helps me understand the value of what I saw vs other variable speed and belt change systems.

Maybe the Tool-Plus.com deal for a DVR with stand and outrigger, free shipping, 2.3hp 220 motor... isn't a bad deal

It is my understanding that Nova used to be built in NZ, but now are outsourced to China..........I read that somewhere on this or another forum, but I have no personal knowledge on that issue, but from memory, and what some additional posters said, I believe it is the case they are now made in China. If that info is not correct, I hope somebody with knowledge clears that up for us.

Mike Holbrook
04-01-2015, 6:28 PM
The Woodcraft guy told me the frames/bodies are made in NZ and some of the wiring and motor/parts are from US, but he may have been working from old or inaccurate information.

The Grizzly G0766 is listed as having a 3hp, 220v motor. The information I see indicates that there are two speed ranges 330-3200 and 100-1200. I am wondering how this motor compares to the DVR-XP?

Bill Blasic
04-02-2015, 11:27 AM
Mike the DVR is a completely different motor, it is like computer controlled and has no per se windings. I cannot say anything about the Grizzly motor because no one has seen or used it. All I can judge Grizzly with is the two machines I do have and I would never buy either again. Teknatool built a factory in China and that is where most or all of there equipment is now made. The important thing to look at is the warranty, I would not buy a lathe that only has a 1 year warranty when there are so many that have 5 year warranty. Both of my tools from Grizzly turned to crap after the one year warranty ended, not to say that you could get a good one.

Ralph Lindberg
04-02-2015, 9:40 PM
The Woodcraft guy told me the frames/bodies are made in NZ and some of the wiring and motor/parts are from US, but he may have been working from old or inaccurate information.

The leg used to be made in the US, I haven't dug into if they still are.
The bodies were never made in the US, they were made in NZ, but they have been made in China, at a plant owned by Teknatool, for eight or so years.
I have a DVR-XP from the first China production run and it exemplified the QA issues Teknatool has been having ever since. They get a run of "good stuff', then a run of not so good.
With my DVR-XP the casting flashing had not been cleaned up and the tool-rest hole in the banjo was a couple thousands too large for the Nova tool-rest to go into. The first was just lazyness, the 2nd someone not actually checking fit.

As another example the entire first run of the Nova Infinity chuck was not properly heat-treated and Teknatool had to recall the entire run. Later runs where just fine.

As Bill notes, the DVR is not anything like a conventional motor, it is something else instead. It's sorta a computer controlled 24 phase motor, and sorta like a computer controlled servo-motor, only it's not. The DVR motor has lots of very useful advantages over a conventional motor.
To me the only major disadvantage is that Teknatool is really the only source.

The DVR motor is only used in the DVR-XP, DVR-2024 and ShopSmith MK-7

My understanding is the motor and main electronics are made in NZ, still, to this day. That is why no-one (in China) has copied the DVR motor. If a plant was making it there, it would be copied and sold.

Ralph Lindberg
04-02-2015, 9:44 PM
... The important thing to look at is the warranty, I would not buy a lathe that only has a 1 year warranty when there are so many that have 5 year warranty. Both of my tools from Grizzly turned to crap after the one year warranty ended, not to say that you could get a good one.

On the other hand my Grizzly (low end) contractor style Table-saw is nearly 20 years old and still going strong. I have replaced the belt and fence system, but nothing else.
My Grizzly (industrial) Band-Saw is 6 years old now, I have had to replace several bearings (off-the-shelf at FastenAll), but nothing else.

Cary Falk
04-02-2015, 10:22 PM
EVERY company has issues and unhappy customers at some point and time. I have had nothing but great tools and service from Grizzly. Delta and Laguna are dead to me but they still have happy customers. Every company has good and bad products also. The customer is paying for that 5 year warranty. Another reason for the higher price over Grizzly that people don't want to see.

Joe Bradshaw
04-03-2015, 8:05 AM
I'm late in replying to this thread. My girlfriend had a Nova DVR which she liked very much until she started using my Robust Liberty. When you put the DVR in reverse, it flashes a screen that asks you if you know that you are in reverse. A minor irritation. Dust gets into the front control panel unless you tape it up. But, the biggest problem is in the tailstock spindle. It has a steel key that locks it in the tailstock and you have metal to metal contact when extending the spindle or retracting it. It is very difficult to operate. It's a good lathe overall, except for these minor nit-picks. My girlfriend sold hers and bought a Liberty. Full disclosure, I have the Robust Liberty, three Oneways(a2436, and two 1224's) and two Jet minis(1220 and 1221). I had to set up a second shop in my girlfriends garage is why I have so many lathes. My 1224's are my favorite of all. Good luck in your choice.
Joe

Mike Holbrook
04-03-2015, 2:04 PM
Joe, the Oneway 1224's are your favorite? I think they have a 1hp motor, will that handle bowls & plates? I think the 24" between centers wold work for me and the 0-1200 & 0-4500 speed ranges sound good too. They apparently come with what looks like a nice stand too...

Joe Bradshaw
04-03-2015, 3:14 PM
Mike, my 1224's have a 1hp motor. I got the big bowls out of my system years ago. Most of my turnings are now under 12" in dia. If I want to turn bigger, I always have the 2436 or the Liberty. Safe turning.
Joe

Mike Holbrook
04-04-2015, 4:09 PM
Thanks for the positive info on the Oneway 1224s Joe. I tried to talk to Highland Woodworking about them last week as they list them on their web site. Apparently Highland sold off their demos and stock and only order them for people now. I think I would be good turning only bowls 12" or less too. I could always make larger platers with hand tools. It is fun to carve more artsy designs in larger pieces IMHO. It sounds like the 1hp motor and variable speed system has proven adequate for small to medium size spindles and small bowls which is where my interest lies.

Dan Jechura
04-06-2015, 12:33 PM
I have the NOVA 1624-44 an do not mind changing belts. I only use 3 ranges due to the fact I turn bowls ( 6 to 24 inch), tops, snowmen and wooden eggs. I can not see spending the money on a Dvr...........yet.

Mike Holbrook
04-06-2015, 4:23 PM
I believe the belt on a Nova 1624-44 has 8 belt changes for 8 different single speeds 21-3630. The Nova DVR seems unique in it's ability to do step ups via a touch button 100-3500. There are also machines like the 1224 Oneway that have a two step belt change, in the 1224's case the changes are 0-1200 or 0-4500. In the case of the Oneway would I be correct in assuming the switch to 0-1200 is the smaller belt which would be like a smaller gear providing greater torque?

I have read another review of the 1224 Oneway by a professional turner, who happens to be an older guy with back aches like me. I was impressed that the reviewer, claimed he preferred working on his 1224 to working on a larger lathe. There are also some interesting options that I think can be added to a 1224 that might be a significant help for a person interested in making chairs: remote start stop, spindle steady (bowl steady apparently fits on same assembly), drill wizard, extra banjo (tool rest), factory bed extension 24"...

It looks to me like: Nova DVR, Jet 1642 or Oneway 1224 lathes cost around the same amount of money. These are probably the prime targets of my research at this point. I like the compact solid stand that the Oneway 1224 comes with and there are some nice accessories that I could order with it or later that might come in handy.

Mike Holbrook
04-07-2015, 9:30 AM
I am having a little difficulty finding vendors for Oneway lathes. Highland Woodworking lists them on their web site but when I called them they told me they no longer stock them but could order one for me. I'm wondering why I would want a middle man (company) if I planed to order a Oneway lathe? The information I find seems to suggest that most of these lathes are custom ordered anyway. I downloaded a ordering document from the Oneway sort of web site. At some point I found a front end for what looked like a new Oneway web site that is under construction the current one looks a little bare bones. I tried calling the 800# but so far I have not gotten through.

I am wondering how others who have a 1224 or other Oneway lathe may have bought it? I am also interested in the 1236SD model (Sit Down) Oneway lathe. I am wondering if anyone has a 1236SD or has worked on one than can comment? It appears that Oneway offers more options for this lathe, bed size, motor size....The regular model appears to be within $500 of the 1224 but come with a bed that has 36" between centers. The 24" between center distance on the 1224 may be a little tight for chair spindles, certainly small for table legs. The 1236SD is close to another 200lbs and offers the option of turning the entire bed and motor sideways to make it easy to work sitting down. I'm just not sure how much if any rigidity and reliability the moveable bed design might cost? An extended bed for a 1224 is about $300, could be added after the initial purchase if needed and could be removed if not needed..

Roger Chandler
04-07-2015, 9:41 AM
I am having a little difficulty finding vendors for Oneway lathes. Highland Woodworking lists them on their web site but when I called them they told me they no longer stock them but could order one for me. I'm wondering why I would want a middle man (company) if I planed to order a Oneway lathe? The information I find seems to suggest that most of these lathes are custom ordered anyway. I downloaded a ordering document from the Oneway sort of web site. At some point I found a front end for what looked like a new Oneway web site that is under construction the current one looks a little bare bones. I tried calling the 800# but so far I have not gotten through.

I am wondering how others who have a 1224 or other Oneway lathe may have bought it? I am also interested in the 1236SD model (Sit Down) Oneway lathe. I am wondering if anyone has a 1236SD or has worked on one than can comment? It appears that Oneway offers more options for this lathe, bed size, motor size....The regular model appears to be within $500 of the 1224 but come with a bed that has 36" between centers. The 24" between center distance on the 1224 may be a little tight for chair spindles, certainly small for table legs. The 1236SD is close to another 200lbs and offers the option of turning the entire bed and motor sideways to make it easy to work sitting down. I'm just not sure how much if any rigidity and reliability the moveable bed design might cost? An extended bed for a 1224 is about $300, could be added after the initial purchase if needed and could be removed if not needed..

C.A. Savoy is a vendor for Oneway products, including lathes. ... C A cadjsavoy@cox.net

He is with the captial area woodturners, and a lot of the turners in this region do business with him.......easy to work with, from what I understand.

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-07-2015, 10:53 AM
Call OneWay directly. Their web site is Oneway.ca. They ship directly from the plant. I have a 2436 and have used the 12". It is a terrific lathe. When you talk about Oneway and Robust you are talking very high end machines. Parts and support are a phone call away and everything is made by the seller. I have nothing bad to say about the PM machines except it lacks a "hands off" spindle lock and requires an accessory for indexing. I owned a 3520B for several years before selling it and buying the Oneway. I was afraid I would miss the sliding head feature the PM gave me but I don't. I have an outboard attachment for the Oneway and merely move the chuck to the outboard position to hollow large bowls. Remember, the cost of the lathe is half the ultimate cost of the tools and gadgets turners simply cannot live without.
faust

Reed Gray
04-07-2015, 1:06 PM
Robust has a sit down lathe as well, and it is well worth looking into. Plus, it is made in the USA. I have turned on a Oneway 1224 a couple of times, and while nice, it felt rather weak for a 1 hp motor. I am used to turning with 3 hp, so it might be me.

robo hippy

Mike Holbrook
04-07-2015, 3:45 PM
I have been putting a good deal of thought into what I wold like to be able to make on a lathe. The only thing I am sure about is chair legs and rungs, all of which I believe could be done on a lathe with 24" between centers. I could even make the legs and or rungs with drawknives and spokeshaves and just turn the tenons but I still would need a lathe that could hold a chair leg size spindle. I think, however, that I can turn out more chairs in less time if I use a lathe to make legs, rungs and maybe even some spindles. In the future I may want to make a table or desk or two, these projects might benefit from a lathe capable of turning table legs up to 28-29" long. I may be interested in turning tool handles as long as 36". I do not see me ever making bowls or plates greater than 12" in diameter. If I were to make a large bowl or platter I would be much more inclined to make it in a shape that would not fit on a lathe anyway. I imagine I will make a couple large platers and long serving bowls but I am relatively certain I would rather do this work with hand tools.

I tried to call C A cadjsavoy but have not reached a person yet. I called Oneway direct and talked to both sales and technical people about their 1224 and 1236SD lathes. They have a couple 1236SD lathes made that they could ship immediately. They would build a 1224 for me which they estimate would take 10-12 weeks. The 1236SD has 36" between centers which I think is all I would ever need. The 1236SD costs around $500 more though. I could order a 1224 with a bed extension for $300+ extra. The 1224's advantage is the nice cabinet and easy to use shorter base length. The 1236SD can be flipped over on its side and used siting down which may or may not be an advantage. The 1236SD is also around 200lbs heavier 485lbs vs 300 for the 1224.

I understand that for many turners a 1224 or 1236 might be a stepping stone to a larger lathe. In my case I think a 1224 with bed extension or 1236SD would represent my ultimate tool. I looked at the Robust and Stubby lathes but these machines seem more for turning objects that are large in their vertical as opposed to horizontal plane. Although I imagine the 1hp motor on a 1224 or 1236SD lathe might seem small to a person interested in turning large bowls etc. I don't actually have any interest in that kind of work. I am primarily interested in turning spindles and not particularly long or wide spindles at that. A Jet 1642EVS or Nova DVR XP both cost around the same thing as a Oneway 1224-1236SD and I think one of the Oneway machines would serve my purposes better. The longer beds and larger motors on the Jet/Nova machines do not seem to offer me advantages vs the Oneway machines, unless I am missing something?

Reed Gray
04-07-2015, 4:30 PM
Well, for bowls, if you plan on selling them to support your habit, bowls from about 12 inches down are 'personal' sized bowls, and family sized bowls are 12 to 14 inches. I do sell more of the personal sized bowls in numbers, but about the same $ amount of the family sized bowls. For the spindle length, and I am not sure about the Oneway, with my old PM 3520A, you have '35' inches between centers. By the time you put a live center on the tailstock, and a chuck or spur drive on the headstock, you end up with about 30 max length on the actual spindle you can put on the lathe.

robo hippy

Don Bunce
04-07-2015, 5:50 PM
As Michelle Rich mentioned, a spring pole lathe will do the job nicely, since you are working with hand tools anyway.

There are plenty of videos on Youtube, Robin Wood and Ben Orford have excellent videos on bowl making.

Mike Holbrook
04-08-2015, 12:38 AM
I appreciate the thought guys but I I will not be making bowls for money. Unless you call making chairs for my business a means of supporting my "habit" I have no plans to try to make money from woodworking. Woodworking is my retreat from the emotionally charged people and animals I work with. I have numerous building, cabinet making, chair making, bench building, kiln, steam box, plumbing, electrical.....projects, I would not add a spring pole lathe project to the list.

Reed Gray
04-08-2015, 12:55 AM
If it's physical, it must be therapy...

robo hippy

Hilel Salomon
04-08-2015, 7:40 AM
I have both the Powermatic 3520B and the Nova DVR XP (I sort of commute between SC and VA and have two shops) The DVR XP isn't as solid as the PM BUT... it is a fine machine. It also often sells for under $2k which makes it almost half the cost of the PM. It is far better than "half as good." People who have the Jet love it-from what I can gather. I think though that DVR XP owners are quite happy with it as well. I have had it for almost 8 years and am perfectly satisfied with it. I have made bowls, HF's, bottle stoppers, candlesticks etc., with nary a problem. I have the capacity to make chair legs but simply haven't done so. I think that ultimately, you won't be sorry with either the DVR or Jet.

Quinn McCarthy
04-08-2015, 9:24 AM
Have you looked at vega lathes? I have the 1553. I got mainly doing long spindle work. With 53" between centers you can do newel posts too. It is cheaper than the oneway and more expensive than the jet ornova. I have a outboard attachment for it so I can do up to 28". I have done some shaker table tops on it.

Might be worth checking out.

Mike Holbrook
04-08-2015, 3:16 PM
The Vegas I saw were all more expensive than a Oneway 1224? The Oneway 1224 seems like a good deal to me for what I believe I need. If I need more than 24" capacity at some point I can add a bed extension for about $300. I was thinking about the Oneway 1236SD, especially since they have a couple made but I don't think I would use the swing over feature. I also understand the 1236SD can't handle a bed extension, so a 1224 with bed extension winds up having a longer bed for less money. I like the cabinet that comes with the 1224 too, it makes it more like one of the much more expensive lathes that come in cabinets. If I start turning long spindles for chairs or table legs I can get the extension & Spindle Steady and be able to handle up to 48" between centers, but still have a smaller lathe for the majority of my work.

The guy I talked to at Oneway said that some turners upgrade to larger machines and then go back down to a smaller lathe after that just because they are easy to move around, adjust....Which I think is where Joe is at.

Roger Chandler
04-08-2015, 5:17 PM
If I were interested in mainly spindle work for chairs, bedposts and table legs, and medium sized bowls, I would go with the Grizzly G0733 because it has 47" between centers and is a fine lathe for its price.........one of the best buys on the market, and many owners report excellent performance equal to the Jet or Powermatic. With 18" swing, 2 hp motor, reversing, quality Delta inverter and motor, then it would do everything you have stated in this thread and more........

Of course, if you are wanting to go more expensive you certainly can do that, but you will not get any better results with a more expensive unit............but will get a little longer warranty. Good luck whatever you decide.

Mike Holbrook
04-10-2015, 5:10 PM
The "spindle" stock I want to turn for chair legs and rungs would start as no more than 2" square x 24". I don't have a bunch of room in the stationary machine part of my shop. I do have a place, pre wired for 220, with StoreWall on the wall, task lighting set up... that the 47" Oneway 1224 & cabinet would fit in with no problem. Making a place for a machine as large as the 81" Grizzly G0733 or G0766 would be much more complicated and might not leave me room enough to change my mind, much less move around the machines. There is a table saw, 2 bandsaws, Festool table, drill press, cabinet and outfeed tables in the room now.

I am hesitant to buy something larger than I need that may just make me walk/stretch further to work/get around it. If I need to turn longer spindles I could temporarily put an extension on the 1224 then take it off, saving some space. I just do not see me needing to turn anything over a 24" long spindle 99% of the time. Unlike many of the posters here I would prefer to make larger bowls or platers with all the hand tools I have collected for that purpose. I would prefer long instead of wide round bowls & platers. I enjoy using the larger hand carving tools.