PDA

View Full Version : Storage Bags

Keith Pleas
03-30-2015, 11:43 AM
Saw a short piece in the latest FWW (May/June 2015) about using storage bags to hold finish after squeezing out the air.

The specific piece illustrated StopLossBags (http://stoplossbags.com/purchase.html), but I was struck by how similar they are to the Wine Smuggler (http://www.easytravelerinc.com/easytravelercruisekitand8482-2-1-1-1.aspx) that I already have.

Anybody tried using these bags or equivalent?

Derek Hansen
03-30-2015, 1:40 PM
Would love to hear someone's experience with these as well. Seems like the perfect solution to me. I do mostly small projects so I'm constantly throwing out 1/2 full containers of gelled up finish.

John TenEyck
03-30-2015, 4:49 PM
I use Ultra Duster. It's like Bloxygen only a lot cheaper. Fill the partially used can with a good dose of it as you close the lid and the finish remains as good as new. I've been doing this for over a year now and none of the Arm-R-Seal cans I've opened have gone bad. Before, a half used can would go bad in a few weeks/months. The bags look OK except for storage. How do you stack them up like I do with cans?

John

Kent A Bathurst
03-30-2015, 4:56 PM
.........The bags look OK except for storage. How do you stack them up like I do with cans?

Nail them to the wall? :D

THe Blox method worked pretty good for me, except the cost.

So - I decant the partial can into mason jars - various sizes as needed. Fill them up close to the top, then "float" thinner on the top, creating a meniscus. When I gently drop the lid [not the ring yet - just the lid], it displaces a little thinner that runs down the side. Then drop the ring. Always works great.

For times when I have a "tweener" situation, or have just barely used the original can, I dump in marbles until it comes up the the top, then float the thinner.

So for all you guys that figgered I have lost my marbles - you are wrong. THey are not lost. They are in the bottom of varnish containers, that's all. I know right where they are. :p

Jerry Thompson
03-30-2015, 5:04 PM
I have been using "Perfect Duster" or like products for years. I leave a little space in the lid as if it is almost closed and give a few seconds spray with the long thin tube on and shut the lid. I then tap is shut.
My tung oil can was half full when I used it last fall and it was still usable this Feb. when I needed it.