PDA

View Full Version : Table Top Finish

Rob Russell
08-04-2005, 10:24 AM
I'm building a pair of cherry shaker end tables as a wedding present. I'm leaning towards BLO with a coat of shellac as the base finish, but need something protective that will last for generations over that. I also think the finish needs to be "water-proof", in that if someone puts a wet glass on the table I don't want permanent water rings to develop. I'm OK with finishing the pieces with a layer of wax because that can always be renewed.

What are your thoughts on a finish between the shellac and wax?

Thx - Rob

Carl Eyman
08-04-2005, 11:30 AM
1. If a "piano gloss" is not needed a simple wipe on of Water Lox will protect against rings. Easy wipe on and by blending the gloss with the semi-gloss you can get the degree of gloss you want.

2. Behlen's Rock Hard Varnish. This is brush on. very, very durable both physically and for liquid resistance. I've used it with pumice rub-in and find it great. In a previous post - long ago - I discussed ROS rub in. I'll be doing this on a piece I'm working on now.

3. Fuhr's 355 acrylic varnish.(Spray or brush) Produces high gloss or a matte sheen as you wish by amount of rubbing you do (also with ROS), and gives a very smooth surface. Not as durable from a scratch resistant point of view as Behlen's Rock Hard.

These are just things I've used successfully. I'm sure there are gurus here with other ideas.

Jim Becker
08-04-2005, 4:23 PM
I'm with Carl, other than I'm a fan of Target Coatings acrylic for entry number 3, but the Fuhr is also excellent product.

But I have to say, I'm amazed at how well the shellac finishes on my Nakashima -style "coffee" table and Shaker walnut side table held up last month with two kids pounding on them, especially the coffee table...and that includes getting wet.