PDA

View Full Version : Picked up a DeWalt MB-28 RAS

Dennis Nagle
03-30-2015, 11:26 AM
Just got home with the new toy. It was 130 miles each way but a beautiful day for a drive. I unloaded it into the shop but it is 18 degrees in the shop so pix will have to wait until tomorrow. The model number is MB 28 and the serial number is 10077. The guy I got it from is 71 years old and this was his GRANDFATHER'S saw!!! The earliest I can find any data on the MB is 1947.

It is all there and runs smooth and quiet. It came with:

A plunge arbor
disc sander disc
Jigsaw table and drive unit
15 shaping blades
a carbide blade
a dato blade set with enough centers to go out to 1 inch.

All in all I think is was a GREAT deal for $75310400310401310402310403

Gene Davis
03-30-2015, 11:42 AM
The next thing will be Festool bringing one out, costing 3 thou, but yay it will have super dust collection.

Harvey Miller
03-30-2015, 12:50 PM
Congrats! Well worth it. You can get some info from the OWWM site. There's also a dewalt radial arm saw forum on Delphi.

Tom Howarth
03-30-2015, 1:05 PM
Great score! I'd trade off my old Craftsman if I could find a Classic like that...

Dennis Nagle
03-30-2015, 2:24 PM
That is what I did Tom. I have a great Craftsman but all my machines are old and heavy like me, and this one fits right in.

Rick Potter
03-30-2015, 2:33 PM
Interesting molding cutters. Never seen any like that. You got yourself a regular time capsule.

Do you plan to pretty it up, or just use it? Check out Beachside Hank's video on restoring one.

Dennis Nagle
03-30-2015, 3:40 PM
I'll get it functional now and maybe make it pretty next winter.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-30-2015, 9:22 PM
Interesting molding cutters. Never seen any like that. You got yourself a regular time capsule.

Do you plan to pretty it up, or just use it? Check out Beachside Hank's video on restoring one.

Me neither, didn't know they were ever made like that. Congrats!

Mike Schuch
03-31-2015, 2:11 AM
Cool saw, great score! Those shaper cutters look really scary. It looks like they could do some self feeding and get away from you pretty easily. Let us know if you ever work up the courage to try them out?

I would love to see the jigsaw connected up and working! I don't know how usable it would be but it would be cool to see it working even if just once. I love seeing the old accessories.

If you decide to get the dados sharpened you need to get the blades and chippers sharpened as set or they might cut uneven if sharpened separately. I used a HSS set like that for many years before I got a carbide tipped set.

david brum
03-31-2015, 9:48 AM
Check out the Delphi DeWalt RAS forum. Those guys focus on saws like yours all day, every day. Lots to good info and advice on restoring and repairing. I'm pretty sure that I read an article on using moulding cutters like yours over there. The trick is to build the correct fence and only expose a fraction of an inch of cutter at a time, taking multiple shallow cuts.

That jigsaw with table is amazing. I imagine Ward Cleaver in 1950, wearing a tie, cutting out bird house parts for June.

Dennis Nagle
03-31-2015, 10:37 AM
I laughed about Ward Cleaver.....that was my Dad. Didn't know a phillips head from a straight screwdriver but like to buy all the cool stuff.

I've been to the Delphi forum. Good stuff as you said. There is a cover that encloses the shaper blades that I don't have. Here is a picture of someone else jigsaw set up just like mine.

I won't use any of the attachments, but I'll clean them up and coat them in cosmoline and keep them together with the saw.

david brum
04-01-2015, 12:04 AM
Those shaper covers are everywhere. You can probably get one from somebody on the DeWalt site for pretty cheap. That's where I got mine. I've used my RAS to do a little bit of shaper work, although with the preferred Delta shaper head. It works humorously well.

Cheers!
David

Tom Giacomo
04-01-2015, 12:14 AM
Great find, I never seen shaping blades like that.

Rich Riddle
04-01-2015, 5:54 PM
You are certainly in a tool buying mood this week. Hope it works well for you. They have their niche.

Dennis Nagle
04-01-2015, 11:22 PM
I gets worse Rich. Check out my new post!!!

Did more shopping tonight!!!

Lee Reep
04-01-2015, 11:41 PM
The next thing will be Festool bringing one out, costing 3 thou, but yay it will have super dust collection.

Well, you can probably find a used one, but not sure they were ever imported. And I'm thinking dust collection was not quite as good as today ... :)