PDA

View Full Version : Card scraper

Rick Johnston
03-29-2015, 9:01 PM
I've seen many videos as I was looking to refresh my sharpening technique.
Many different methods! I've sharpened with a flat file at 30 deg with sufficient pressure to produce a burr. I've always thought it worked just fine for general work. If I was flattening a finish I use the squared off edge. I could see where the burnishing tool would problem develop a more uniform and smaller burr - that would be desirable for detail work - like finish flattening.

A couple quick strokes with file and I'm in business.
What am I missing?

glenn bradley
03-29-2015, 9:57 PM
I have not put anything but a 90* edge on a card scraper. If your method is working for you I would stick with it. I mill file and stone at 90*. If there is a stubborn previous burr I will stone the faces as well and then roll a hook at 5, 10 and a couple at 15 on a rectangle scraper.

There is a lot of voodoo about card scrapers on the web but, once you find a method you like (and it sounds like you have) I would stick with it. As long as you are scraping up light fluffy shavings, it doesn't rally matter how you got there IMHO.

Robert Payne
03-29-2015, 10:29 PM
I use this method by Michael Petkovich using the tricky card holder perfected by Brian Boggs. Easy peasy.

http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/video/how-to-sharpen-a-card-scraper.aspx

lowell holmes
03-30-2015, 9:48 AM
+1 for what Robert said!