PDA

View Full Version : The generosity of some people is amazing!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2015, 8:41 PM
Quite a few years ago here at SMC, I got into a verbal battle with a bunch of turners. Their solution was to gift me with a Jet-1014 VS lathe and an incredible amount of tools, wood etc.

In 1999 while attending a 3 week company class in Waukesha, WI I was in a 6 man class. When we got to lab, we broke up into 2, 3-man lab groups where I teamed up with an engineer from Denver and one from Christchurch, NZ. The Kiwi and I share the same first names and we became instant friends. Our youngest son and his lovely wife heard me talk about visiting my friend in Christchurch and in 2008 for our 40th anniversary the kids generously gifted us with a 10 day trip to NZ.

Last year, after 2 years of planning, we took a 34 day once-in-a-lifetime trip to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. We spent 2 weeks in New Zealand, traveling by normally scheduled buses, a ferry and a couple train rides.

One evening in March last year, we as one of 3 US couples, arrived at a bus stop in Paihia, North Island, NZ at 9:00 p.m. as cyclone Lusi came ashore. There were no taxis but a local café owner drove us, 1 couple at a time to our respective hotels in his 2 seated pizza delivery van. The husband in back on his hands and knees with the baggage, while the wife rode shotgun and the café owner drove. The guy refused any form of compensation. Incredible!

Later while in Auckland, my wife kept a nice pen from the room of a nice hotel where we were staying. My wife enjoyed using that pen and it was a keepsake of our trip too! Last week that pen broke. I reassembled it. It broke again. She failed to give me all the parts, I glued it back together only to discover a part was missing, the pen inoperative and the missing part had to be installed before I glued it together. My wife enjoyed this pen as it was a keepsake and it worked well. She was saddened!

Last night, I sent an email to the hotel in Auckland explaining the situation, asking if I could purchase a replacement pen and pay for it and shipping with a credit card. Today I got a response from the Chief Concierge requesting our address. He stated he would send a couple out via regular post for free this time.

The friendliness and generosity of some people is amazing!

Bert Kemp
03-29-2015, 8:50 PM
Must be that smile of yours Ken. :)

Frederick Skelly
03-29-2015, 9:37 PM
Those are delightful tales Ken. It's so nice to hear things like this, especially when all we usually get is complaints and bad news. All I can say is "Pay it forward man". Do something kind for the next guy.

(Or maybe you already have and that's why all the good karma is flowing your way!)

Fred

Shawn Pixley
03-29-2015, 10:59 PM
Great story! It is easy to get lost in the news of how awful the world is. In general, I have found people to be very generous and helpful. The site is representative of that.

Jim Matthews
03-30-2015, 6:48 AM
People behaving badly is
News, because it's uncommon.

Belinda Barfield
03-30-2015, 8:45 AM
And then there is the story of two friends who share a love of music. One friend checks her mailbox one day to find that the other friend has sent her a CD he thought she might enjoy. Such a simple thing, but so meaningful to me and much needed at the time . . . Mr. Ken Fitzgerald. You receive because you give.

Grant Wilkinson
03-30-2015, 1:12 PM
Until they both died, my Mom and her sister would from time to time send each other "just 'cause" gifts - small things of little cost. I can still remember my mother's face lighting up when she opened these packages.

Art Mann
03-30-2015, 2:05 PM
. . . Mr. Ken Fitzgerald. You receive because you give.

I don't want to get too close to the controversial subject of religion, but I have found that somehow people who are generous always seem to get what they need from others when they need it and I don't think it is coincidence.

daryl moses
04-01-2015, 5:00 PM
Those Kiwi's are good people.
New Zealand is a beautiful country, the South Island is even nicer.
Did you get over to Christchurch? It was one of the most beautiful towns in the world until the earthquake struck a couple of years ago.
Check out my profile sometime, i'm glad "my people" treated you kindly.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2015, 5:22 PM
Daryl,

In 2008 we traveled to New Zealand for 10 days as an anniversary gift from our youngest son and wife. We spent time in Christchurch, Qeenstown, Rotorua and Auckland. We were there only 10 days. While in Christchurch, my wife and I had dinner with my coworker friend and his wife. They gave us a driving tour of Christchurch.

Last years trip, we flew in from Melbourne to Christchurch. We had dinner with my friend and his wife. Once again we were treated to a driving tour of Christchurch. The amount of devastation as a result of the earthquakes was incredible! Entire square miles of city that have been leveled as a result. It will take decades to recover due to the destroyed infrastructure, water lines, sewer and power lines....destroyed.....so even the buildings that survived were razed because basic needs couldn't be supplied.

Next we took a train to Greymouth and bus to Franz Josef, a day there and hiked into the glacier....then bus to Queenstown......a couple days there....bus back to Christchurch via Mt. Cook! Incredible beauty at Mt. Cook! Then train from Christchurch to Picton......Ferry to Wellington......a couple days there.....bus to Rotorua.......a couple days there......bus to Paihia via Auckland....1 day there......bus to Auckland...1 day there.... The 1st trip in 2008 we flew from one city to another except for a bus trip to Auckland from Rotorua..... This trip we flew into Christchurch after 2 weeks in Australia....and we flew out of Auckland...the rest of our NZ travels by bus, rail or ferry. It works well there!... Gorgeous country whose beauty is only surpassed by the friendliness of it's people!

daryl moses
04-01-2015, 5:48 PM
Sounds like you had a great couple of visits and saw quite a bit of the country.
My first wife [now deceased] teenage daughter and I went back in 1995, we stayed two weeks, one week on the North Island where we stayed with relatives, then flew to Christchurch, from there we went by bus to most of the places you visited. Queenstown was nice, even did a little fishing while there, caught rainbow, brown, and a couple of salmon. We took the fish back to the hotel and gave them to the chef who cooked them up for us for supper and didn't charge a dime for the effort. Tried to give him a tip but he would have none of it.
Not a fan of Rotorua, we stayed there for a couple of nights and saw the sights but man, what a smelly place lol.
I would love to take my current wife over for a visit sometime, unfortunately I only have one Aunt living out of several Aunts and Uncles. I still have a lot of cousins that are still living though. It is on my bucket list for sure.
BTW, one of the most memorable things that happened on the bus ride was when we had to wait for a flock of sheep to cross the highway.

Chuck Wintle
04-02-2015, 5:10 PM
Quite a few years ago here at SMC, I got into a verbal battle with a bunch of turners. Their solution was to gift me with a Jet-1014 VS lathe and an incredible amount of tools, wood etc.

In 1999 while attending a 3 week company class in Waukesha, WI I was in a 6 man class. When we got to lab, we broke up into 2, 3-man lab groups where I teamed up with an engineer from Denver and one from Christchurch, NZ. The Kiwi and I share the same first names and we became instant friends. Our youngest son and his lovely wife heard me talk about visiting my friend in Christchurch and in 2008 for our 40th anniversary the kids generously gifted us with a 10 day trip to NZ.

Last year, after 2 years of planning, we took a 34 day once-in-a-lifetime trip to Australia, New Zealand and Fiji. We spent 2 weeks in New Zealand, traveling by normally scheduled buses, a ferry and a couple train rides.

One evening in March last year, we as one of 3 US couples, arrived at a bus stop in Paihia, North Island, NZ at 9:00 p.m. as cyclone Lusi came ashore. There were no taxis but a local café owner drove us, 1 couple at a time to our respective hotels in his 2 seated pizza delivery van. The husband in back on his hands and knees with the baggage, while the wife rode shotgun and the café owner drove. The guy refused any form of compensation. Incredible!

Later while in Auckland, my wife kept a nice pen from the room of a nice hotel where we were staying. My wife enjoyed using that pen and it was a keepsake of our trip too! Last week that pen broke. I reassembled it. It broke again. She failed to give me all the parts, I glued it back together only to discover a part was missing, the pen inoperative and the missing part had to be installed before I glued it together. My wife enjoyed this pen as it was a keepsake and it worked well. She was saddened!

Last night, I sent an email to the hotel in Auckland explaining the situation, asking if I could purchase a replacement pen and pay for it and shipping with a credit card. Today I got a response from the Chief Concierge requesting our address. He stated he would send a couple out via regular post for free this time.

The friendliness and generosity of some people is amazing!
Goodwill is priceless as many companies have come to realize.

Bill McNiel
04-02-2015, 9:40 PM
I believe "you reap what you sow" is applicable here. Congrats on living such a fine life.

Larry Edgerton
04-03-2015, 6:13 AM
Many years ago in my adventurous youth I hitchhiked out to California for the summer. Not my first trip, but would be my last. I got picked up by every whack job in the country, and one robbed me in Tenn.

So, I was on my way back home, but had stayed with a friend in Texas a bit longer than expected and it was now pushing into winter. I did not have any winter type cloths with me, and I was almost home, 55 miles away, when I got stuck in the middle of the night at an intersection in the middle of nowhere. Then it started to snow. And now the wind picks up. No traffic, I am thumbing it whichever way a car is going just to get in some heat because I can feel hypothermia kicking in. I knew it was too far to walk, and if I left the lighted intersection I would never get a ride.

Finally a car stopped. By this time I had the shakes so bad I was getting worried, so when he said he was going a different direction I said I'll go that way. He said no, he would take me to the next little town with a motel. I explained that I had been robbed and did not have any money. he gave me a ride to a little motel and gave me $25, enough for a room and breakfast. [seventies] I stood in that shower for an hour till the shakes were gone.

I asked for his address as I had money in the bank at home and he told me something I have never forgotten, and it became a way of life for me.

He said "No, just pass it on."

He, a stranger, probably changed the direction of my life more than any one person, not by words but by his actions.

Larry

Andrew Joiner
04-03-2015, 12:43 PM
Many years ago in my adventurous youth I hitchhiked out to California for the summer. Not my first trip, but would be my last. I got picked up by every whack job in the country, and one robbed me in Tenn.

So, I was on my way back home, but had stayed with a friend in Texas a bit longer than expected and it was now pushing into winter. I did not have any winter type cloths with me, and I was almost home, 55 miles away, when I got stuck in the middle of the night at an intersection in the middle of nowhere. Then it started to snow. And now the wind picks up. No traffic, I am thumbing it whichever way a car is going just to get in some heat because I can feel hypothermia kicking in. I knew it was too far to walk, and if I left the lighted intersection I would never get a ride.

Finally a car stopped. By this time I had the shakes so bad I was getting worried, so when he said he was going a different direction I said I'll go that way. He said no, he would take me to the next little town with a motel. I explained that I had been robbed and did not have any money. he gave me a ride to a little motel and gave me $25, enough for a room and breakfast. [seventies] I stood in that shower for an hour till the shakes were gone.

I asked for his address as I had money in the bank at home and he told me something I have never forgotten, and it became a way of life for me.

He said "No, just pass it on."

He, a stranger, probably changed the direction of my life more than any one person, not by words but by his actions.

Larry
Cool story Larry. Thank you for telling it. I had personal experience with your willingness to "pass it on" when you offered to give me a tool free of charge a while back.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2015, 4:24 PM
Would you believe, a package showed up today airmail from Auckland with 2 pens in it.

If we ever end up in Auckland, NZ again, we will stay at the City Life Auckland. It's a great hotel in a great location and they even have great customer service 1 year later. How cool is that?

BTW..if you go out the side door to the hotel on to the little side street, take a right and cross the street. The Irish Pub at the nearby corner has great pub food and a nice selection of draft beers. It is also located in a 200+ year old stone building. One thing that amazed me about Christchurch, Wellington, Auckland and even some of the Australian cities is how new buildings seem to wrap right around and include these older buildings too! It's cool.....seems well thought out.

Kent A Bathurst
04-07-2015, 4:46 PM
When we took our 2+ week long trip there, the citizens were unsurpassed in their friendliness and kindness...and we have travelled to many countries and nearly all the States. None better.

Great customer service - they have a customer for life, trumpeting their business, at the cost of what? Thoughtfulness and a couple lousy hotel pens.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2015, 4:55 PM
When we took our 2+ week long trip there, the citizens were unsurpassed in their friendliness and kindness...and we have travelled to many countries and nearly all the States. None better.

Great customer service - they have a customer for life, trumpeting their business, at the cost of what? Thoughtfulness and a couple lousy hotel pens.

Kent....this was our 2nd trip to New Zealand....you are absolutely right.....no friendlier people on this earth......

My wife is in Port Orchard, WA getting acquainted with the newest member of our family....little Madeline Elizabeth Knopes was born last September. She's our 7th great-grandchild. My wife will be tickled to see those pens! Little things....thoughtfulness.........it impressed me!

Gordon Eyre
04-07-2015, 8:55 PM
Nice stories Ken. There are many kind people wherever you go.

Larry Edgerton
04-08-2015, 6:45 AM
Never been to NZ, but on this continent I have to give the nod to the fine people of Nova Scotia. Halifax was awesome and I hate cities.

Quebec, not so much.....

Jim Rimmer
04-14-2015, 5:18 PM
And then there is the story of two friends who share a love of music. One friend checks her mailbox one day to find that the other friend has sent her a CD he thought she might enjoy. Such a simple thing, but so meaningful to me and much needed at the time . . . Mr. Ken Fitzgerald. You receive because you give.

Until they both died, my Mom and her sister would from time to time send each other "just 'cause" gifts - small things of little cost. I can still remember my mother's face lighting up when she opened these packages.

Several years ago I started doing that for my wife. Not big gifts but every month something - a CD, small flower arrangement, a book. Some reason I stopped. I need to get going again. It made her so happy. Not the gift but the being remembered.