PDA

View Full Version : Spraying Primer

Michael Gabbay
08-04-2005, 8:29 AM
I have some cabinet doors that I need to spray with a latex paint and will prime first. For the latex, I was planning on using Sherwin Williams Pro Classic water based. Any recommendations for the primer? Should I thin the primer similar to the latex?

Thanks, Mike

Jim Becker
08-04-2005, 9:21 AM
You have to be really, really careful thining latex and related products. With the proper sized projector set in a decent gun and using Flotrol to "thin" and condition the material, you should be able to spray both the primer and paint. You should use the primer recommended for the particular paint you have chosen.

Michael Gabbay
08-04-2005, 10:42 AM
Thanks Jim.

I was going to start with my PC PSH01 gun and a 2.2mm tip. I was going to thin the latex by 5 - 10%. If that does not spray well I'll try my better gun (Asturo) with a 1.9mm tip (largest I have).

Mike

Duane Pulliam
08-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Michael:

Not to be picky but SW Pro Classic does not contain latex. It is 100% acrylic (water based) and thus, in my experience, is more "sprayable" than latex. I find it still needs to be thinned (with water) to be sprayed well with my 1.7 mm tip. Depending on how much you have to thin it, you may have to put on an extra coat or two to get a suitable buildup. You'll just have to experiment a little to see what works best for your setup. Good luck.

Duane