PDA

View Full Version : Another shop flooring question!

Jim Stanley
03-29-2015, 5:16 PM
Shop is two bays of a three car garage - Four month old house - second project,,, in a hurry, tipped a partially filled can of cherry oil base stain',,,,not a happy situation
QUESTION- I have access to some 18" x 18" VCT (vinyl composite tile)high quality commercial tile used in supermarkets, etc. and wondering if anyone has used this in a shop and if so, the pros & cons.
The cost will be about the same as epoxy, and the tile has a matte finish to prevent a slippery surface.
Thanks,
Jim

Martin Wasner
03-29-2015, 5:27 PM
What would it look like if you stained the rest of the concrete and hit it with a rented floor buffer to polish it up a bit?

I priced out having someone come do it on 7200 sq/ft in a new building, they wanted about $1.50 a foot to bring the floor up to a high shine. I'd love to have a nice shiny floor, since they clean up so nicely, but it's just not in the budget.

Phil Thien
03-29-2015, 6:09 PM
What would it look like if you stained the rest of the concrete and hit it with a rented floor buffer to polish it up a bit?

I priced out having someone come do it on 7200 sq/ft in a new building, they wanted about $1.50 a foot to bring the floor up to a high shine. I'd love to have a nice shiny floor, since they clean up so nicely, but it's just not in the budget.

Yeah go over to the garagejournal site and ask them about staining the rest of it. I'd think you could stain it, then hit it with that PVA (yeah, wood glue) sealer, buff it, and it would be pretty nifty and quite frankly would show a lot fewer future stains than tile, and would be more maintainable.

Jim Stanley
03-29-2015, 9:08 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'll research some alternatives but I also need to consider some form of anti-fatigue if possible as I have a knee that is shot and quickly reminds me I'm on a concrete floor. I need something practical and functional as a first priority and appearance is second.

Thomas Canfield
03-29-2015, 9:45 PM
There has been a change in some of the grocery stores lately to go with the bare concrete that has been buffed or something and then just waxed (coated) with some type of non slip wax/seal finish. The big issue for me for shop floor is to make sure it is not slippery. I know that some of the Anchor Seal ends have made spots slippery in sections of my concrete floor that has Thompson Water Seal coating which was not slick otherwise.