PDA

View Full Version : Dining table with natural edge bookmatched figured maple boards

Don Kondra
03-29-2015, 3:58 PM
The better part of thirty years ago, a group of local woodworkers organized a bulk purchase of figured maple.

When I arrived (late) to help unload the trailer, I found these two book matched/spalted boards discarded in a snow bank !

They were in pretty poor shape but I thought I could make use of them and they have been leaning against the wall of my shop ever since..

Fast forward to a year ago when I spied them one evening and the idea popped into my head to make a table top with them.

I used West System epoxy to fill all the cracks and soaked them with Watco Danish oil.

Paying work occupied my time until a couple of months ago when I decided to make time to finish this project.

At 14" wide the boards were too narrow for a top, I felt another dissimilar board would be a poor match so I decided to use ceramic tiles in the middle to make up a usable width.

The original plan was to use another figured maple board for the gables but then I realized I had been "saving" a figured Bubinga board that would work nicely for the gables.

Finished size is 64 3/8" x 38", a comfy size for six diners and possibly eight family members :)

Clicking on the link below should take you to a photobucket album with ~ three dozen start to finish progress pictures.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/donkondra/Dining%20Table/1%20Rough%20boards_zps0g3lvbht.jpg

Cheers, Don

Pat Barry
03-29-2015, 4:24 PM
Hey Don, I kinda like it. No, that's not right. I really like this a lot!. Very nice idea to put the tiles in the top and to go with the black and woodgrain. That black structure and tile insert really complements the spalting in the wood. Very creative.

Jeff Hallam
03-29-2015, 7:35 PM
The spalted maple looks great, same with the figured legs. Is Watco Danish oil a durable finish for a dining table? I thought most oils didn't offer much resistance to heat / water.

John TenEyck
03-29-2015, 7:42 PM
That isn't wood working, that is a work of art ! Just gorgeous Don, those beautiful woods, the color contrast, the choice of using the tile, and the execution. It's stunning. Now you need to make some killer chairs to go with it.

John

Don Kondra
03-29-2015, 10:30 PM
Hey Don, I kinda like it. No, that's not right. I really like this a lot!. Very nice idea to put the tiles in the top and to go with the black and woodgrain. That black structure and tile insert really complements the spalting in the wood. Very creative.

Thank you Pat !

The spalted maple looks great, same with the figured legs. Is Watco Danish oil a durable finish for a dining table? I thought most oils didn't offer much resistance to heat / water.

Thank you Jeff !

The oil is not a durable finish for a table top but in a small way, the resins in it help a bit to stabilize the softer parts of the spalted wood. I neglected to mention all parts are finished with a conversion varnish.

That isn't wood working, that is a work of art ! Just gorgeous Don, those beautiful woods, the color contrast, the choice of using the tile, and the execution. It's stunning. Now you need to make some killer chairs to go with it.

John

Thanks John !

Funny you should mention the chairs :)

Four of my six existing chairs went into the shop for storage, they were not worthy, he, he..

Next project, design and build matching chairs, sigh...

Cheers, Don

Marty Gulseth
03-30-2015, 12:11 AM
What John said! Well done!

Regards, Marty

Malcolm Schweizer
03-30-2015, 1:37 AM
This is just amazing. I believe this is the best execution of a live edge top I have ever seen.

Christopher Charles
03-30-2015, 2:25 AM
The black accents the spalting wonderfully!

Cheers,
C

Michelle Rich
03-30-2015, 7:49 AM
WOW! thanks for sharing this..I enjoyed seeing all the PB pictures. A very stunning table

Don Kondra
03-30-2015, 3:34 PM
What John said! Well done!

Regards, Marty

This is just amazing. I believe this is the best execution of a live edge top I have ever seen.

The black accents the spalting wonderfully!

Cheers,
C

WOW! thanks for sharing this..I enjoyed seeing all the PB pictures. A very stunning table

Thanks all for taking the time to comment, I appreciate your kind words !

Cheers, Don

David Hawxhurst
03-30-2015, 9:08 PM
that is simply stunning.

Don Kondra
03-31-2015, 12:18 PM
Thank you David.

Cheers, Don

Dave Beauchesne
03-31-2015, 1:20 PM
Whoever threw those boards into the snowbank ought to have their head examined!

I am a sucker for figured / live edge wood; you sir have executed this project extremely nicely.

Dave B

Gordon Eyre
04-02-2015, 11:16 AM
Great story, super project. Your finished project is beautiful and unique.

Don Kondra
04-02-2015, 1:20 PM
Thank you Dave and Gordon !

Cheers, Don

Lee Schierer
04-02-2015, 3:54 PM
Very nice looking table. I really like the leg design.

Tom Sontag
04-03-2015, 1:12 PM
Woodworkers see a lot of natural edge tops, so I think we tend to see them much the same. What really pops a natural edge top is the design of the base and legs. Here is where your piece wins the gold medal. The use of black with the strong sculptural angles and tile is superb. The bubinga - a risky move - works perfectly IMO.

Home run.

Don Kondra
04-03-2015, 2:03 PM
Thank you Lee and Tom !

Thankfully there was no rush to finish this project so I mocked up various gable versions with Photoshop and slept on it before moving forward.

I came close to cutting off the simulated wane edge on the bubinga a few times but in the end that element grew on me :)

Cheers, Don

Evan Patton
04-06-2015, 8:23 AM
Beautiful project well executed. You are an inspiration, as I have several highly figured 2" and 3" thick live-edged maple planks (some with spalting) that I'm trying to figure out how to best use. I really like the angular form of the base and legs and the contrast between the black and spalted maple. Stunning.

joe maday
04-06-2015, 8:51 AM
Beautiful table Don....Colors of the top/legs and the stretcher/feet work great together. I really like the figure of the legs. Well done!

Jim Becker
04-06-2015, 10:15 AM
I really like your design Don. And honestly, the use of the ceramic in the center is both beautiful and practical...built-in trivets for hot food while providing some great contrast to the beautiful figured wood. Bravo!

Honestly...I may steal your design someday for the dining table I have on my long list of project possibilities. :)

Prashun Patel
04-06-2015, 10:52 AM
I completely agree with all the comments. It's so well designed and executed. The boards are outstanding, and you've showcased them in such a natural, yet innovative way. I aspire to this design and execution.

Thanks for posting.

Don Kondra
04-06-2015, 12:14 PM
Beautiful project well executed. You are an inspiration, as I have several highly figured 2" and 3" thick live-edged maple planks (some with spalting) that I'm trying to figure out how to best use. I really like the angular form of the base and legs and the contrast between the black and spalted maple. Stunning.

Thank you Evan.

Beautiful table Don....Colors of the top/legs and the stretcher/feet work great together. I really like the figure of the legs. Well done!

Thanks Joe,

I don't think a dissimilar figured maple board would have worked as well...

I really like your design Don. And honestly, the use of the ceramic in the center is both beautiful and practical...built-in trivets for hot food while providing some great contrast to the beautiful figured wood. Bravo!

Honestly...I may steal your design someday for the dining table I have on my long list of project possibilities. :)

Thanks Jim, steal away :)

The tactile sensation of the tiles is hard to describe, it just feels wonderful ! Perhaps I'll be wiping it down a little more regularly, he, he...

I completely agree with all the comments. It's so well designed and executed. The boards are outstanding, and you've showcased them in such a natural, yet innovative way. I aspire to this design and execution.

Thanks for posting.

Thank you Prashun...

Cheers, Don

Joseph Valsi
04-10-2015, 10:28 AM
fantastic !!! great job

Don Kondra
04-10-2015, 10:41 PM
Thank you Joseph,

Cheers, Don

Raymond Fries
04-11-2015, 10:32 PM
Really nice project. I realy like the contrasting grains and colors.

ron david
08-31-2018, 9:37 PM
this is the most complete live edge table that I have come across. the whole table flows from top to bottom and there was thought put into the composition of it. Don I think that you should get it out there somewhere where someone an purchase it and let them live with it.
most live edge tables are made without thought. Most that make these live edge table think that their big slab of wood speaks for itself. it is just a big slab that just about any can buy. they then buy and weld up some steel tubing or whatever and call it a base and now they have a dynamic table. then they say 20,000.00 pls( perhaps not pls just 20,000.00). they buy the slab and then it get it surfaced under some big cnc router and perhaps a bit of sanding and then finish. they don't compare to what is here in the way of craftsmanship and aesthetics.
Don you have inspired me to repurpose something that I have and hope that come close to achieving what you have done with this. mine will have a real edge to it though
ron

Don Kondra
09-01-2018, 12:29 PM
Thank you Ron for your kind and thoughtful words !

Marketing has always been a challenge. Of all the things I've tried word of mouth is still the most consistent..

I mostly keep busy with commissioned work but spec pieces can take time to sell, sigh...

Cheers, Don

Don Kondra
09-02-2018, 12:10 AM
The Photobucket link to progress shots seems to be working again...

http://s249.photobucket.com/user/donkondra/library/Dining%20Table?sort=3&page=1

Cheers, Don

David Utterback
09-02-2018, 9:35 AM
Incredible artistry and craftmanship. Thanks for the inspiration.

Don Kondra
09-02-2018, 11:55 AM
Incredible artistry and craftmanship. Thanks for the inspiration.

Thank you David !

Cheers, Don

Dave Avery
10-03-2018, 12:09 PM
Seriously cool Don. Love the idea of the tiles. Design is not dissimilar to a dining table I built a while back....

Jerome Sidley
10-03-2018, 3:23 PM
Can't say much about the table that hasn't already been said. I just love the photography it really shows off the table, just stunning.