PDA

View Full Version : Some marquetry work

Jim Hinze
08-04-2005, 7:43 AM
This was the first chance I've had to do some serious marquetry work after my DJM class and new scroll saw purchase. Also, this is the first time I've used unibond 800 --> Awesome glue!!!

This is going to be a box top.. I'm making a keepsake box for a horse rescue charity auction. This is the panel just after it came out of the vaneer press with the sides cleaned up. I still have to do a little scraping on the top.

Sorry for the photo quality and aspec it was taken from, I needed to do it quick and my skills are sub-par.

http://www.peekaboocrafts.com/wood/horse_4.jpg

John Miliunas
08-04-2005, 7:55 AM
Hey, that's pretty cool, Jim!:) Nice looking piece and really extraordinary for your first one! Yet one more item on my "to learn" list, though I'm not sure I'd have the patience for that. Well done!:)

Hey, just out of curiousity, is that a HF table saw extension w/router mount that you have your art sitting on? Looks kind of familiar...:) :cool:

Richard Wolf
08-04-2005, 8:17 AM
Nice job, I always loved marquetry, I would love to give it a try soon.

Richard

Jeff Sudmeier
08-04-2005, 8:31 AM
Jim,

That looks great! Marquetry is a skill on my list to learn. Hopefully I can do it as well as you.

Jim Hinze
08-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Hey, that's pretty cool, Jim!:) Nice looking piece and really extraordinary for your first one! Yet one more item on my "to learn" list, though I'm not sure I'd have the patience for that. Well done!:)

Thanks John. Over 3 days, it took probably 8 hours to cut and glue all the marquetry after I had cut the vaneers. It's very rewarding and I am not a patient man... if I can do it, anyone can.

Hey, just out of curiousity, is that a HF table saw extension w/router mount that you have your art sitting on? Looks kind of familiar...:) :cool:

John, that's a darn good question. :confused: I bought the saw used last december.. it's a delta tilting arbor saw circa 1994 (2hp). That wing is moundted on the side of the dust chute portion of the cabinet.. I noticed the holes, but never really considered it a router table, but now that I think about it more, it probably is. I'll have to investigate it more. Here's a front pic of the saw from last year, you can see on the left the housing that would end up blocking a router. ....
http://www.peekaboocrafts.com/wood/shop-4.jpg

John Miliunas
08-04-2005, 11:11 AM
Hmmmm....You're right that it would NOT lend itself nicely for a router on that particular setup. I asked because, I used to have a Delta contractor saw, which I bought as a "demo" and it came w/the stamped steel wings. At the time, the HF cast iron extension was quite a bit less expensive than the stock Delta add-on, plus it had the router opening and clamping system underneath. Being in a small shop, it worked quite well for me. I was actually quite surprised (and pleased) at the quality of it coming from HF!:) :cool: