PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart (procrastination pays off)

Bill Brush
03-29-2015, 2:27 PM
I have a free cedar chest rehab project that's been kicking around the shop for a few years. It has a molding around the bottom that has a profile I don't have for my router, it's a common profile, but one I don't know the right name for. Kind of a stretched Ogee.

Anyway, yesterday we stopped at an antique store on a whim, and I found a very nice Ohio Tools side escarpment plane in the exact profile I need. It's marked with a 59 (and some fraction, maybe 3/4) and then another bigger 3/4. Keeping it company was a very nice #5 hollow plane by Sandusky tools. The blades are a little rusty, but the Ohio still cuts pine without even being touched. They are in pretty decent shape, with the markings still being very clear.

The prices weren't a steal, but not unreasonable. I paid $60 for both planes and a marking gauge that needs a little help.

Jim Koepke
03-29-2015, 2:54 PM
All things come to the one who waits.

Not too bad of a haul.

My set of hollows and rounds is growing. Part from a recent trade and today from a pair on ebay.

jtk

Tom M King
03-29-2015, 3:16 PM
The first one looks like an ogee sash plane, but 3/4 is a little large for the typical sash plane. I've been looking for one like that in 5/8 to make a few replacement matching window sash for an 1850 house.