PDA

View Full Version : Door panel trim part 2!

Mark Yundt
03-29-2015, 1:23 PM
Finally after 2 months of back and forth we've settled on a pattern. Oh my. Really ? And what did they finally settle on? My original spacings. They just couldn't seem to get that their pattern wouldn't work. That is until I drew it out and tried carving it. It was insane and it looked awful.
So I'll carve the masters and cast what will be around 120 pcs. Even at that when you're looking at tens of thousands for trim on a door it has to be right. And as usual the want to know how quickly they can have the pieces. Had they listened from day one this job would have been finished!
The photos show the final design on the bottom stick along with other patterns on the pieces above it. Also a recap of what the door trim will look like in the photo . And several of the patterns I drew trying to incorporate their renderings , enlarging them 127percent ( still didn't work) and my final pattern.

Roger Strautman
03-29-2015, 10:27 PM
I learned a long time ago that you don't try and tell someone how to do their job when they do it for a living.

Mark Yundt
03-29-2015, 11:30 PM
Well they kinda' do it too,,,, but you can draw anything you like but it doesn't mean you can carve it. My example is always a work by Escher. He could draw it, but doesn't mean it could exist in 3D......

randall rosenthal
03-30-2015, 11:07 AM
when challenged about actually being able to carve what i had drawn in regards to an open call job competition (lectern for a church in seattle) my reply was..."people walk on the moon...we're talking about a piece of furniture". life would be a lot easier if the clients listened to the carvers.

Mark Yundt
03-30-2015, 12:16 PM
A quick example. They drew an acorn 1/4" ,,, and had the little tip on it as 32 thousandths of an inch. Eyelets that a pin shaft would have trouble fitting into. Now first how do you carve that and have it be visible ? And 2. What , if you could add that detail, would happen to it once it gets sealed and covered with gold leaf ? It's all gone and would turn into a blob.
As it stands now the eyelets are 1/8" long by less than 1/16th wide. The Acorn ( now up to 3/8th inch....huge!) stem is a shy 32nd. I'm carving wood fibers!

Mark Yundt
03-30-2015, 12:35 PM
One of the chisels I made to fit between the leaves to clear out the background. I have to do all the carving with a magnifier type visor.

Mark Yundt
03-31-2015, 10:30 AM
The small piece is done . I'll start laying out the longest stick and carve that one. I'll then pull a mold from it, cut it down to the size of the medium length stick ( the spacings are the same ) which will save me the time carving a 3rd piece. And then pull a mold from that one to have the set of 3 pcs needed.
I'll need 48 of the small , 80 of the medium and 32 of the longest.

Roger Strautman
03-31-2015, 5:58 PM
I didn't realize that you would be casting the pieces. Keep us posted of the process.

Mark Yundt
03-31-2015, 6:30 PM
Had these been ordered in natural wood they would have had to be carved like the last mld. job. But the price would have been knee buckling. Casting since they're being done with gilt just makes sense both time and dollar wise. I'd be carving for months on end!

Mark Yundt
03-31-2015, 6:58 PM
Had several distractions today but got some outlining done.

Mark Yundt
04-19-2015, 1:36 PM
I just posted a thread with the casting steps .

Warren West
04-30-2015, 11:36 PM
A quick example. They drew an acorn 1/4" ,,, and had the little tip on it as 32 thousandths of an inch. Eyelets that a pin shaft would have trouble fitting into. Now first how do you carve that and have it be visible ? And 2. What , if you could add that detail, would happen to it once it gets sealed and covered with gold leaf ? It's all gone and would turn into a blob.
As it stands now the eyelets are 1/8" long by less than 1/16th wide. The Acorn ( now up to 3/8th inch....huge!) stem is a shy 32nd. I'm carving wood fibers!

A good example of the folly of detaching design from craft.

Mark Stutz
05-01-2015, 10:38 AM
I'd be carving for months on end!

Makes one really appreciate some of the carvings done on the cathedrals of Europe. Many years ago I visited Strasbourg, and the guide told us that a single craftsman had spent his lifetime carving the huge doors of the cathedral.