PDA

View Full Version : Electronic Timer for My Workshop Heater

Stew Hagerty
03-28-2015, 4:17 PM
I run a small space heater in my garage/workshop on cold nights to help boost the temp a little bit.
My timer is an IIIWoods from colemancable.com and I bought it a couple of years ago on Amazon.
Well as I was disconnecting it since I figured most of the cold weather is gone (yes,I quickly knocked on wood) I notices a rattle inside. It was working perfectly, but ever the tinkerer, I decided to open it up and find the rattley piece.
Well... I can't get the sucker open! There are 4 screws holding on the back cover. Simple right? I can find a tool to remove the screws with. I have tried Phillips of various sizes, flat screwdrivers of various sizes, hex wrenches of all sizes and both metric and inch varieties. I've used my high-diopter goggles and more than one light source.
The screws appear to be similar to a Phillips head, except there are only 3 wings, instead of 4. In all of my years, I have never seen a three pointed screw head. Flat slot, yes;4 point Phillips, yes; six sided depression for hex wrenches, yes; but a 3 point Philipsish , no.
Any ideas?

Mike Cutler
03-28-2015, 5:08 PM
You are looking for Tri-Wing screwdriver, or screw bit. They are a "security" type screw. I have 4 sizes, 1-4, but I think a #1 would be a little big for your need.
You should be able to get one at Sears, Harbor Freight, Walmart, Lowes ( maybe), or an electronic supply house.

Myk Rian
03-28-2015, 5:19 PM
I have a set of 8 or 10 of them. A hole in the middle makes them the safety type. Automotive MAF sensors us them, among other uses.
Torx is another name, but without the hole in the end.

Mike Cutler
03-28-2015, 5:33 PM
Myk

I always thought the Torx drivers had six sides?
I have a set of the safety/security drivers in all different forms. they've come n handy at times. BMW really likes to make you work, and spend some $$$, to take their cars apart. ;)

Stew Hagerty
03-28-2015, 7:12 PM
I have a set of 8 or 10 of them. A hole in the middle makes them the safety type. Automotive MAF sensors us them, among other uses.
Torx is another name, but without the hole in the end.

I have a set of Torx bits,they have multiple points (I've never counted the number, and I'm not in the shop at the moment) around the exterior and they do make a safety version with a center hole to go over the central post on the fastener.

But these fasteners are absolutely not Torx. I believe the one responder called them a tri-wing fastener. That sounds right to me because that is the one attribute that I could make out.

Leo Graywacz
03-28-2015, 7:17 PM
It's called a Tri wing screwdriver

Todd Willhoit
03-28-2015, 9:28 PM
Nice little set here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009U6AB4?psc=1

Clint Baxter
03-28-2015, 9:49 PM
Nice little set here:

Doesn't look like that set has any tri-wing bits. This one http://www.amazon.com/100pc-Master-Screwdriver-Bit-Set/dp/B00626KII0/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1427593569&sr=1-1&keywords=vega+bit+set has just about every bit you might need.

Clint

Jim Cook
03-28-2015, 11:04 PM
I ran across the same screws on a heater I fixed last year. I drilled them out with a left handed drill bit. After a little drilling, the drill and the heat got them to turn loose and back out. Replaced them with standard screws after I fixed the heater.
I wonder if your rattle is the safety switch that turns the heater off if it tips over?
Good luck.

Todd Willhoit
03-28-2015, 11:37 PM
Doesn't look like that set has any tri-wing bits.

Sure does: Tri-wing Screwdriver Bits #1, 2, 3, 4

julian abram
03-29-2015, 11:27 AM
Nice little set here:

Todd thanks for sharing this. I've been needing to fix a breaker plug on my wife's hair dryer and the screws are some little odd ball looking things with 2 holes in the screw head. I recognize the matching bits in the back row of this picture you posted, still don't know what they are called but place an order for the set. Thanks!

julian abram
03-29-2015, 11:32 AM
"Spanner bits" looks likes the ones I need, never heard of them before today.

Pat Barry
03-29-2015, 4:11 PM
I doubt there is anything inside you will be able to fix. In fact, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Clint Baxter
03-29-2015, 11:36 PM
Sure does: Tri-wing Screwdriver Bits #1, 2, 3, 4

Oops. Missed them. Looked at the picture and couldn't make out any. Didn't check out the detailed listing:rolleyes:

I do like that big set though. Looks like it has just about everything in it.

Clint

Mike Henderson
03-30-2015, 12:15 AM
Lee Valley sold a set of "security bits" some time back and I bought a set. Never used it yet. I'll bet it has a tri-wing bit in it.

I'd never seen a tri-wing screw before.

Mike

Joe Kieve
03-30-2015, 8:50 AM
Agree with Pat. They put tri-wings on there because they know most folks don't have a way to get them out. Therefore, manufacturer doesn't want you in there to begin with.

Curt Harms
03-31-2015, 6:59 AM
I find the idea of 'security bits' a bit amusing. How secure are the fasteners when Amazon and Harbor Freight among others sell the bits?

Stew Hagerty
04-02-2015, 2:30 PM
You are looking for Tri-Wing screwdriver, or screw bit. They are a "security" type screw. I have 4 sizes, 1-4, but I think a #1 would be a little big for your need.
You should be able to get one at Sears, Harbor Freight, Walmart, Lowes ( maybe), or an electronic supply house.

It's called a Tri wing screwdriver

Hey folks, first of all, I want to thank everyone that replied to my thread because..............

I got it opened. They were Tri-Wing screws. I found this nice little set on Amazon:

They are small sizes, 000, 00, 0, & 1
The #1 worked perfectly.
As for what I found when I got it open, the screws on either side of the clamp inside that holds the power cord in position had broken the lower half of the base. So the clamp was rattling around loose inside.

I'm just going to put some 5-minute epoxy on the bottom part and the clamp portion then just hold the two parts with some soft clamping pressure. When it's ready I just have to put it back together.

Steve Peterson
04-03-2015, 11:56 AM
Glad you got it open and fixed. Those types of screws are just meant to keep the weekend handyman type of people out. You know the type of guys that have 1 hammer, 2 screwdrivers, and a roll of duct tape to fix everything.

I usually just cut a slot in those types of screws with a Dremel cut-off disk and use a slotted screwdriver to remove them. Replace them with normal screws.

Steve

Stew Hagerty
04-05-2015, 2:20 PM
he type of guys that have 1 hammer, 2 screwdrivers, and a roll of duct tape to fix everything.

I usually just cut a slot in those types of screws with a Dremel cut-off disk and use a slotted screwdriver to remove them. Replace them with normal screws.

Steve

Ah, so you mean MacGuyver... Except I don't remember him carrying a hammer or screwdriver. But with that Duct Tape, he could reattach an airplane's wing while it's flying.

Jim Koepke
04-05-2015, 2:56 PM
My response is a bit late for this problem. Maybe the next time someone has a similar problem this may help.

Many years ago one of my bosses showed me a technique of using wire cutting pliers, commonly known as dikes or diagonal cutters to grab the screw head on either side while holding the pliers inline with the fasteners axis. He called them Mississippi Vise Grips in honor of the employee from Mississippi who showed him the technique.

It has saved my bacon more than a few times. If done carefully the fastener can be reused. If it is an oddball head, change it out for something more standard.

It can even work on the one way fasteners commonly encountered in mounting fixtures in public places. An old friend of mine used to call those "zoo screws."

jtk

Stew Hagerty
04-06-2015, 2:43 PM
My response is a bit late for this problem. Maybe the next time someone has a similar problem this may help.

Many years ago one of my bosses showed me a technique of using wire cutting pliers, commonly known as dikes or diagonal cutters to grab the screw head on either side while holding the pliers inline with the fasteners axis. He called them Mississippi Vise Grips in honor of the employee from Mississippi who showed him the technique.

It has saved my bacon more than a few times. If done carefully the fastener can be reused. If it is an oddball head, change it out for something more standard.

It can even work on the one way fasteners commonly encountered in mounting fixtures in public places. An old friend of mine used to call those "zoo screws."

jtk

Thanks for the input Jim. I will certainly keep that technique in my bag of tricks.
That wouldn't have worked on this one though. The screws were down a fairly deep hole.

Again... Thanks to everyone who posted. I appreciate the assistance.