PDA

View Full Version : A couple photos

Earl Eyre
08-04-2005, 12:51 AM
I have posted a few times on this forum but haven't shared any photos of my turning, so I thought it was time to put myself on the line. I'm just including two turnings. I love to make pine needle baskets and am constantly torn between doing that or turning so I have been combing the two crafts. Many people don't like the combination but I do. This one is a piece of apple, turned green and allowed to warp. I then followed the contour of the bowl with pine needle coiling. The bowl is 11"w x 8" high.

Earl Eyre
08-04-2005, 12:54 AM
This is my second attempt at laminating and turning. 17"h x 3" wide

Earl

Earl Eyre
08-04-2005, 12:58 AM
I guess I'll post one more because it's one of my favorites and a little more far out. Made of juniper, 12" w x 4.5 "high. Pine needle coiling on top with dried philodendron leaves and beads.

Earl

Blake McCully
08-04-2005, 6:22 AM
Earl,
Great looking stuff. Using multiple media to express your art is terrific. I really like the third one. It kinda has a southwest, hippy, kind a look.

Keep bringing the pics.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-04-2005, 8:26 AM
Earl....first ....Welcome to the Creek! Why did you wait to post these beauties? I like the use of multple mediums within a project! Beautiful! Because of the uniqeness of the design, I am thinking this should be posted in the design forum! I like your creativity!

Jeff Sudmeier
08-04-2005, 8:30 AM
Earl,

All of them really look great. You should be proud of all of them.

Kurt Aebi
08-04-2005, 8:55 AM
Earl,

We love "Cool" ideas around here and those turnings are art in themselves and your embelishments make them even more cool!

Love them and please share more - gotta love it when 2 hobbies mees and form such interesting resulsts!

Thanks for sharing and don't be bashful - we love pic's!! :D

Earl Reid
08-04-2005, 9:42 AM
Nice work , Earl. I also like the apple wood
Earl R :)

Earl Eyre
08-05-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks, all. I will post more in the future. This is a great forum.
Earl

Keith Burns
08-05-2005, 1:37 PM
Cool stuff. Combining the two crafts is great. I'd like to know sometime how you do the pine needle thing. The tall lamination is great as well. I like the form.

Dennis Peacock
08-05-2005, 3:47 PM
Very, Very nice. I would like detailed info on how you did the pine needles. :confused: Very nice touch and a great combination of materials. :D

Jim Becker
08-05-2005, 4:26 PM
I happen to like all of these pieces. Very creative and well executed. There really is a place for mixed methods and media that include turning...you have shown us good examples!

John Hart
08-05-2005, 7:34 PM
You knocked my socks off Earl. I think think you found a very pleasing combination worthy of any table. Beautiful work!

Ernie Nyvall
08-05-2005, 8:08 PM
Real nice Earl and if you are doing work like this, it's a rule, you have to post pictures. Sure like that combination.

Ernie

Bill Stevener
08-05-2005, 8:57 PM
Hi Earl,

Now that's a different twist, well applied, very very nice.

Thanks for letting everyone view your work,

Bill,>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:)

Earl Eyre
08-06-2005, 1:12 AM
I have to punt on posting detailed explanations of pine needle coiling. It is an an ancient craft that has been practiced for 1000's of years and I have found takes as much time to learn as turning. It would simply use up too much space to describe it. That said, if done simply it is not difficult. If you are interested go here: http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Trail/9114/ This is the Pine Needle Group and is a wonderful place to learn as well as explore. There is also a Yahoo forum. This picture is technically OT but shows a totally coiled basket using a scroll sawn center and an antler. Just to illustrate how you can incorporate turning, scroll sawing, etc.

Thanks again for your kind words. I'll post more.

Earl