PDA

View Full Version : HF Cargo Unloader: gem or junk?

Ken Platt
03-28-2015, 2:12 PM
Folks - I came across this in a HF ad, and was wondering which of the HF categories it falls into? Gem, junk, or ok-for-occasional-use?

http://www.harborfreight.com/truck-bed-cargo-unloader-60800.html

I get quite a few loads of bark mulch (free from my town's recycle center) and compost each year, and unloading it is a major PITA. If this works, seems like I could park my tractor's loader bucket right underneath the tailgate and save a LOT of back straining effort moving stuff.

Anyone tried this thing? Or similar units?

BTW, I've tried just using a tarp, but find that I cannot pull it because the load on it is too heavy.

Thanks, Ken

Mike Lassiter
03-28-2015, 2:24 PM
These use to be advertised a lot on TV. Not HF brand but another brand and I have saw them in local Tractor Supply store. They had 2 models, a regular version and heavy duty one. I had wanted one for the same reasons you stated, but I have a folding goose neck hitch ball in the center of my bed and also a heavy rubber bed mat. I figured I would have to at minimum remove my rubber bed mat for this to work, but wasn't really sure if dumping several hundred pounds on this then finding out the goose neck hitch would be a problem since it sits proud of the truck bed - it could cause the material to pack the sheet down around it and lock it into place.
I haven't saw these at Tractor Supply in awhile, but doesn't mean they don't still carry them. I cannot saw the HF ones would be good or bad though.

Bert Kemp
03-29-2015, 1:05 AM
I have one its called load handler , I have a bed liner in my truck with the corrugated bottom and it still works very well. I've made several trips to the gravel pit and had a half ton or more of gravel loaded and this worked great for unloading. Also works good for cord wood. When I use to burn coal I load 30 bag or more and use it to bring the bags back rather lift them over the side . All in all I'm very happy with it. Mines over 10 years old and still work. Tarp has some holes in it but you can replace it when needed.

Mel Miller
03-29-2015, 11:30 AM
The idea that a $44.99 HF unloader will unload a ton of gravel (like the phoney reviews state) doesn't pass the smell test. Their own picture shows only a small amount of gravel on the tarp.
The unloader is an OK idea if properly built, but HF did their typical cheap crappy copy.

Ken Platt
03-29-2015, 2:27 PM
Mel, have you seen one in action? Or do you know of another better quality one? If the HF one can do even a half ton like Bert mentioned it'd be worth it - I don't think the chips I get weigh more than that.

Ken

Mel Miller
03-29-2015, 3:07 PM
Mel, have you seen one in action? Or do you know of another better quality one? If the HF one can do even a half ton like Bert mentioned it'd be worth it - I don't think the chips I get weigh more than that.

Ken

http://www.amazon.com/LoadHandler-Truck-Bed-Unloader-LH3000/dp/B0000AXCSP/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1427655920&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=pickup+bed+unloader

Steve Rozmiarek
03-29-2015, 3:15 PM
The concept is valid, some semi trailers dump that way, carrying around 30 tons. No idea on the strength of construction of the listed one. You'd want it built well.

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-29-2015, 3:45 PM
I haven't watched any of these yet. My take on this is the heavier the load, the harder it will be to crank. If you have physical limitations, this may be difficult to crank the handle.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=harbor+freight+cargo+unloader

Len Mullin
03-30-2015, 1:22 AM
I owned one of these years ago, I had it on my 88 Dodge 1/2 ton and I thought it was just the proper PITA. Like has been mentioned here, the larger the load, the harder it is to turn the crank. You also have to be careful to not let any of the material your loading/unloading, get trapped under the material that the load is on. Most times I just used it to protect the bed of my truck, seeing as how I didn't have a vinyl bedliner installed. Usually, I just stood in the box, and just shoveled or pushed the load off.I have seen them on other trucks that did have the vinyl bedliner installed, and they did work, but very poorly.
Len

Charlie Velasquez
03-30-2015, 2:23 AM
http://www.amazon.com/LoadHandler-Truck-Bed-Unloader-LH3000/dp/B0000AXCSP/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1427655920&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=pickup+bed+unloader

if you decide to go with the original.. It is less expensive at Sam's Club. But this is not the commercial grade one.
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/loadhandler-pickup-truck-unloader-mid-size-2-200-lbs-capacity/prod5280319.ip?mobiledetect=false

Ken Platt
03-30-2015, 10:18 PM
Thanks, folks. One of these is definitely on my list to get soon. My back hurts just thinking about doing it by hand!

Ken

Bert Kemp
03-30-2015, 10:35 PM
it does take 2 hands to crank it but it sure beats shoveling, I have the midsize one paid $99.99 many years ago

Harry Hagan
04-03-2015, 1:46 PM
I've had one of those (load handler brand) for 12+ years and it works great if you have a slick bed. I have a poly bed liner and can dump about anything; especially if I spray some silicone on the bed before laying out the tarp.

Jerome Stanek
04-03-2015, 5:15 PM
throw a sheet of poly down before you stretch the unloader tarp

Ed Aumiller
04-03-2015, 9:09 PM
Have the load handler model... use it for firewood when camping... just have to be careful that the wood does not catch on wheel wells or be in front of a wheel well..
The only difference I have seen in models is the quality of the tarp...
With gravel, etc there will always be some that is not on tarp and needs pushed off..
Consider mine a good investment even though only used several times a year..
Probably the HF model would be fine for your use..