PDA

View Full Version : Bowl With No Grain

Toby Bouder
03-28-2015, 11:04 AM
This is a follow-up to the ailanthus burl that I posted a while back. It is an onion/layered burl. I cut a slice from the outside of edge of the burl and noticed that the growth rings were extremely wide. I mounted the slice and turned a thin dish following the contour of the growth ring. I was able to get the finished dish entirely out of just one growth ring so there is no grain pattern in the dish. It will be interesting to see how it dries. It is 6.5 inches across about .75 inches high and .25 inches thick.

Jim Seyfried
03-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Could this be a gall?

Ryan Mooney
03-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Huh, that's pretty cool definitely gives a different feeling texture to the appearance. I don't think I've ever seen a growth ring that wide.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-28-2015, 2:17 PM
It turned out quite like I thought it would, I have turned a few union burls from other type of trees, most were Yellow Birch, and they will show a nice grain when finished real smooth.

The Ailanthus has a nice color and the grain is quite showy in the normal wood, unlike your one layer dish, which is quite unusual all by itself, but doesn’t show what the wood can give you.

This is one of the Ailanthus bowls I turned some years ago, I really like the wood in it :)

310232 310233