PDA

View Full Version : A Plum Screwy Little Box.

James Combs
03-27-2015, 9:55 PM
Which translated means, "A threaded box made from Plum".:D This is the finished version of the box that I showed having threads cut into it with my new threading jig. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?229057-Shop-Made-Threading-Jig&highlight=)

Box is 4-1/8" in Diameter, 1-1/4" high(1.5" counting the grip), but it is very shallow at 5/8", but then it was just to test my threading jig.;) Finish so far is one coat of satin WOP(will probably be the only coat).

C&C welcomed especially on the threading.

charlie knighton
03-27-2015, 10:47 PM
love that plum......threading is a plus

daryl moses
03-28-2015, 7:54 AM
Pretty piece of wood. Loved your threading jig!!

Thom Sturgill
03-28-2015, 8:35 AM
Yep, that's a plum pretty box and a nifty threading rig too. Learning hand threading is on my todo list and getting pretty high.

Paul Gilbert
03-28-2015, 11:07 AM
I will be interested to know how a 4" threaded box behaves with changes in humidity. When it get humid this summer please tell us if the threads bind.

Randy Red Bemont
03-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Beautiful plum wood. Love the coloring.

Red

James Combs
03-28-2015, 4:04 PM
Beautiful plum wood. Love the coloring.
Red

love that plum......threading is a plus

Pretty piece of wood. Loved your threading jig!!
Thanks Randy/Charlie/Daryl, Plum does have some great coloring and it turns nicely. Just wish I had some larger pieces. I have quite a bit of small stuff that has some severe checking, way too many cracks. It was harvested(more like "chopped down") becase it was dying by a friend from his yard at the peak of growing season. The pieces I got(salvaged) were dripping wet when I got them. Daryl the next project for the jig will most likely be a small pet urn. I will be able to do a better eval of my jig after the urn.

Yep, that's a plum pretty box and a nifty threading rig too. Learning hand threading is on my todo list and getting pretty high.
Hi Thom, thanks for commenting. I am just a little too impatient to try hand chased threads, I would rather focus on the vessel instead of its threads. Yes I think the jig will be a big help for me. Currently it cuts 10tpi threads, I will eventually add another "advancing" threaded rod that will give me 8tpi.

I will be interested to know how a 4" threaded box behaves with changes in humidity. When it get humid this summer please tell us if the threads bind.
Thanks for the comments Paul. I plan on keeping this little box so I should be able to report on its behavior over time. I will try to keep everyone posted.

Peter Fabricius
03-28-2015, 8:24 PM
Very nice looking box. Threading with 10tpi is interesting, did it seem a little large and would a 16tpi be better for the small tenon?
p.s. The relief cut you mentioned on the (threading jig post) is normally always needed for the lid thread to go all the way to the end! A small chamfer on the lid and tenon is also good to allow the cutter to start the cut easier. Cleaning the thread with a toothbrush is also good to remove the fuzzies left by the cutter.

I want to check out a smaller diameter 60 degree cutter. Currently We are restricted to a 3/4" inside mortise in the lid due to the size of the cutter. Smaller tubes/boxes needle tubes could use a 3/8" diameter cutter, will check Enco to see if one exists! ???

Keep making threaded boxes, they can be addictive! Almost a "vortex" in themselves.
Peter F.

P.S. For anyone knowing where I can buy the MT2 draw collet with 3/8" opening??? Looked on Enco site but cannot find it.
A Canadian retailer would be good, thanks.

James Combs
03-28-2015, 9:13 PM
Very nice looking box. Threading with 10tpi is interesting, did it seem a little large and would a 16tpi be better for the small tenon? Hi again Peter, actually I was thinking that 10tpi seem like a fine thread when looking at a 3"+ diameter thread, that's why I want to have the capability for 8tpi as I noted in the other thread.
p.s. The relief cut you mentioned on the (threading jig post) is normally always needed for the lid thread to go all the way to the end! Yes, figured that out. A small chamfer on the lid and tenon is also good to allow the cutter to start the cut easier. Did that too, saw it in the demo vid for the EZ Pro. Cleaning the thread with a toothbrush is also good to remove the fuzzies left by the cutter. Will remember the us of a brush for the future but the Plum cut so clean it needed nothing more then an air hose.

I want to check out a smaller diameter 60 degree cutter. Currently We are restricted to a 3/4" inside mortise in the lid due to the size of the cutter. Smaller tubes/boxes needle tubes could use a 3/8" diameter cutter, will check Enco to see if one exists! ??? Hmm... hadn't thought about smaller "openings", mine is also a 3/4", post here if you find one smaller.

Keep making threaded boxes, they can be addictive! Almost a "vortex" in themselves.
Peter F.

P.S. For anyone knowing where I can buy the MT2 draw collet with 3/8" opening??? Looked on Enco site but cannot find it. Got an MT3 but that won't help you none, not sure where to find MT2 but Enco or Little Machine shop are good bets.
A Canadian retailer would be good, thanks.
Thanks for posting Peter, I will continue as you suggested in the other thread and also keep the above info in mind.

Bob Bergstrom
03-29-2015, 9:23 AM
That's "plum pretty" !!:D