PDA

View Full Version : Just a another days work, (Pics)

Richard Wolf
08-03-2005, 8:25 PM
This railing job is not custom, it's just what we do everyday. Some people find them interesting to look at. My son and I installed this railing in about six hours. We work well together and can do alot in a days work.
This house is on the North Fork of Long Island, the last part of LI that is still undeveloped and not congested by Long Island standards. Lots of farms, winerys, orchards, and horse farms. I really like to go out there, it's a change of pace for me.
This house is situated on Long Island Sound, and the one picture is from the master bedroom.
The last picture is my truck packed and ready to leave.

Richard

Richard Wolf
08-03-2005, 8:26 PM
A few more pics.

Richard

Rob Russell
08-03-2005, 8:57 PM
Richard,

Another nice job!

I'd bet that with that view of the water and the size of the open area, it's still a $2-3M+ place.

Rob

Richard Wolf
08-03-2005, 9:04 PM
Richard,

Another nice job!

I'd bet that with that view of the water and the size of the open area, it's still a $2-3M+ place.

Rob

Well, I know they paid 1 million for the land, the house is modest, my guess, $750,000. Still, it seems like alot of money. Thanks for looking.

Richard

Corey Hallagan
08-03-2005, 9:13 PM
Nice work Richard. Did you have to make the curved piece (Newel?) at the bottom of the stairs? Great looking rig you have as well!!

Corey

Todd Davidson
08-03-2005, 9:18 PM
I'm impressed with the speed and quality of your work. Seems somedays it takes me and Kim 6 hours to just set up :). With the requisite coffeebreak of course :D .

Ron Jones near Indy
08-03-2005, 9:28 PM
Impressive--just 6 hours? You have it down don't you?

John Miliunas
08-03-2005, 9:33 PM
Looks great, Richard! You obviously know your craft and know it well!:) Six hours, huh? Yeah, like Todd said, it would take me 6 hours to setup for a job like that and, if I worked really, REALLY hard, might be able to get it done in 6 lo-o-o-o-o-ong days!!!:rolleyes: Quite frankly, I'm not even sure I'd know where or how to start!:D :cool:

Tony Falotico
08-03-2005, 9:37 PM
It would take me more than six hours to decide which piece to put first :D :D

Beautiful work Richard .... Your making me want to come 'home' for a visit !!

Bill Simmeth
08-03-2005, 10:03 PM
Ah, Richard you're killing me here! Beautiful job. I am doing an "L" shaped stairway with a balcony (very similar to the one you've pictured, tho only 8' rise) in an old Victorian we've restored for our offices and it took me two days just to set the da*m posts! (We won't discuss the two discarded posts.) The rails went in another two days. About to tackle the pickets... God knows how long those will take!! Oh well, good thing my bread is buttered another way! :o

PS... please tell me that you didn't also set the treads, risers and skirts in those 6 hours!! :(

Richard Wolf
08-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Thanks for all the comments. All the railing parts are standards stair parts so nothing is custom made. I've been installing rails for 17 years so I'm finially catching on.
I didn't set the treads, risers or skirt boards on this staircase. In New York, stairs are build in shop and delivered to the site complete. I don't always build the stairs because larger stair companies can build them cheaper than I want to. I would rather just do the rails.
The curvey thing at the bottom is called a volute, from the word convoluted. If you use that word you can impress alot of people.
Like I said my step son works with me, he's 20, and wants to take over when I retire. We just work together well, I yell and he listens.

Thanks again for looking.

Richard

Dick Parr
08-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Great job Richard. :) That sure is some beautiful work.

Bill Simmeth
08-03-2005, 10:41 PM
Ok, so you're making me feel a little better since the treads/risers/skirts were already done! But, you're a lucky man to have a step son eager to follow in your foot steps -- plus one with which you work well! He must know a good thing when he see's it. :)

Peter Pedisich
08-03-2005, 11:18 PM
Richard,

I've got a LOT of respect for you and your sons talents. I can say first hand doing a job of that size, that fast and have it look that good is impressive to say the least.

About 2 years ago I designed and built a 3' x 8' railing for the top of the stairs in my Cape here on Long Island. It took me weeks to plan/draw/figure/purchase wood for the thing and then about 2 weeks (nights & weekends) to fabricate/paint/poly/install the thing. Box newels I made from scratch and the rest of the parts I purchased. All that and it was nothin' compared to yours!

It's also great to know that there are young guys out there who want to learn a trade like that, hard work but the results people live with in their homes for generations.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Pete

Chris Rosenberger
08-03-2005, 11:30 PM
Great Job Richard!!!
What is the spacing of the spindles?

Jules Dominguez
08-04-2005, 12:37 AM
There's something about those railings, Richard, standard parts or not. They'll give a lot of people a lot of pleasure over the years. That must give you and your son a lot of satisfaction.

Vaughn McMillan
08-04-2005, 3:06 AM
Richard, not only is the railing beautiful (I don't care that it's not custom...it still looks great), but that's quite the shop truck you've got too.

It's great working with someone and being so familiar with the job (and each other) that you can knock out a project like this is 6 hours. Several careers and quite a few years ago I worked with my brother in law and we could work that way. Just anticipating what to do next and doing it.

Nice job -

- Vaughn

Jeff Sudmeier
08-04-2005, 8:33 AM
Richard,

Railings like those really make a home!! That one looks great.

Sam Blasco
08-04-2005, 9:23 AM
Great work, as usual, we've come to expect nothing less from you. My favorite picture is the truck, man! I dig it and would love to see more pics of the set up.

Thomas Becknell
08-04-2005, 9:45 AM
great job richard. almost makes me wish i had an upstairs:D

Jim Marshall
08-04-2005, 10:01 AM
Richard, you are fast, and your workmanship looks great. How do you anchor your posts? By the way, I would have loved to had your truck when I was building stairs and restoration work.

David Pettibone
08-04-2005, 10:15 AM
Nice work!!! If I can ask a question, how did you attach you rails upstairs that go into, butt up to, the drivewall??? Are they screwed from the bottom part of the rail and then plugged, or is there an insert they go over and are attached to? Or am I not even close!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks and it looks from the pictures like you are a very skilled craftsman who takes pride in what he does. It is a real rarity these days from the stuff that I see. Even though it might be easy to you, it isn't. Your experience hides how hard it is to do it, and do it right:) . Again, nice craftsmanship.

David:)

Jim Hinze
08-04-2005, 10:39 AM
I love it. Very nice work... It makes me wish I had a 2 story house :D