PDA

View Full Version : Thin throat plates for modern table saws

Greg Magone
03-27-2015, 12:44 PM
The table saw that I'm looking at uses thin throat plates - about 1/8 or so. I'm wondering how folks create zero width throat plates for small stock work, or use dado blades? With my current saw, the throat plate is about 1/2 and it is easy to machine up a wooden throat plate for zero clearance work.

Thanks

Lonnie Gallaher
03-27-2015, 1:04 PM
What I did was use 1/8 inch hard board with 1/2 inch mdf glued to the bottom of the hard board. The mdf fits inside all of the nooks and crannies of the cut out and stiffens the hard board. The 1/8 inch hard board fits the recessed area of the table saw top. Glued together they create a nice stiff ZCI.

Jim Dwight
03-27-2015, 1:39 PM
I use left over 3/8 thick flooring pieces with the ends and sides rabbeted to about 1/8 to fit the table saw top. I've also machined softwood scraps to the necessary dimensions. You loose a little depth of cut but that hasn't normally been critical.

Matthew Hills
03-27-2015, 1:51 PM
My ZCI is from MDF. I use a router to cut a rebate around the perimeter so the plate will site flush with the table.

Another option is to use a sled. (obviously better for cross-cuttish cuts than long rips)

Matt

Earl McLain
03-27-2015, 2:30 PM
I bought a 24" square sheet of phenolic similar to this http://www.amazon.com/Phenolic-Sheet-Thickness-Width-Length/dp/B00CPRFMK4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1427480469&sr=8-4&keywords=.25+phenolic and routed out the lip. Don't think i paid as much as $38 for it, but it will yield 7 plates plus i've made a few inserts for my band saw as well. Machined well, but i don't care for the smell while doing it. I like Lonnie's glue-up idea a lot--especially since a 10" blade doesn't retract far enough into the saw--it would be easy enough to leave a starter gap in the backing material.
earl

glenn bradley
03-27-2015, 2:46 PM
I did what Jim did and rabbeted the sides of thicker material for my contractor saw's thin inserts. What make and model are you looking at. If it is not a cabinet saw I do not think that thinner inserts are all that uncommon, even 30 years ago. that is; I do not think this is a "modern" saw problem as much as it may be a particular machine or class of machine design parameter.

Greg Magone
03-27-2015, 8:28 PM
I did what Jim did and rabbeted the sides of thicker material for my contractor saw's thin inserts. What make and model are you looking at. If it is not a cabinet saw I do not think that thinner inserts are all that uncommon, even 30 years ago. that is; I do not think this is a "modern" saw problem as much as it may be a particular machine or class of machine design parameter.

I'm looking at the Delta 36-5100.