PDA

View Full Version : Drilling Electrical Grommets

William A Johnston
03-27-2015, 6:54 AM
I do a lot of laminate counter tops in occupied offices. My delima is once complete they position there computers and want me to then drill the grommets in the tops once they have the desk set cup. This is a dusty mess due to the particle board. Has anyone come up with a dust collection system to get close enough to the back splash?

I would like to attach to my Festool CT22 vac and typically use a 2 3/8" grommet.

Bill

Jerome Stanek
03-27-2015, 6:56 AM
I just used a small vac while I was drilling holes in Pharmacy counters while the store was in operation.

Myk Rian
03-27-2015, 7:14 AM
Just attach your Festool CT22 vac and go to work.

Rod Sheridan
03-27-2015, 9:48 AM
I do a lot of laminate counter tops in occupied offices. My delima is once complete they position there computers and want me to then drill the grommets in the tops once they have the desk set cup. This is a dusty mess due to the particle board. Has anyone come up with a dust collection system to get close enough to the back splash?

I would like to attach to my Festool CT22 vac and typically use a 2 3/8" grommet.

Bill

At work we have a short scrap of plastic pipe about 3" ID and 3" high that the vac hose fits in.

It sits on the floor and we drill the hole. (We use it for anchoring racks).

regards, Rod.

Phil Thien
03-27-2015, 9:52 AM
I just use my battery-powered vac to clean-up after the hole is done. Never seems like a problem.

scott vroom
03-27-2015, 11:08 AM
Place your shop vac hose next to the cutting area and it will suck up most of the dust/debris as you're drilling. Works for us.

Ed Labadie
03-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Possibly a dust control attachment used for drilling masonry. The vacuum holds it in place, you drill though the center.

Bosch make one that might work.

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=HDC200#specs

Ed

Tom M King
03-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Look at the things made for drilling holes in ceilings for recessed lights-for ideas or maybe even to use if the large diameter is not an issue.

William A Johnston
03-27-2015, 1:41 PM
Ed,

Thank you, I have tried holding the vacuum hose to the bit but it still spraya dust everywhere. It appears the Bosch attachment just might be the ticket. They offer the model you posted and a model 250 for a bigger diameter hole. I am going to order one and give it a try.

Thanks again I'll repost after I get it and give it whirl.

Bill

Ed Labadie
03-27-2015, 1:46 PM
Ed,

Thank you, I have tried holding the vacuum hose to the bit but it still spraya dust everywhere. It appears the Bosch attachment just might be the ticket. They offer the model you posted and a model 250 for a bigger diameter hole. I am going to order one and give it a try.

Thanks again I'll repost after I get it and give it whirl.

Bill

Your welcome, Bill.

After I posted, got to thinking about how handy one of them would be......soooooo, I ordered one too.

Ed

Bruce Page
03-27-2015, 2:32 PM
DeWalt also makes one that covers both large and small bit diameters.

DEWALT DWH050K Large Hammer Drilling Dust Extraction System

Chris Padilla
03-27-2015, 2:36 PM
A dust shroud (http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE46150-5-Inch-Surface-Grinding/dp/B009EKDSB0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1427481330&sr=8-13&keywords=dewalt+dust+extractor) is what you're looking for, I believe.

This may be silly but a Cool Whip container upside-down with a hole for the drill/bit and a side extraction of a vacuum hose ought to do the trick.

Matt Day
03-27-2015, 2:53 PM
Easy, have them plan better and do a mockup to layout the holes so you don't have to cut them in the field.

Chris Padilla
03-27-2015, 3:06 PM
The customer is always right, Matt. ;)

Matt Day
03-27-2015, 4:36 PM
But if the customer changes an approved drawing after the work was done, he/she gets a change order!

Tom M King
03-27-2015, 4:41 PM
I did a Google search, and was amazed at how many variations there are http://www.amazon.com/Hole-Pro-Adapter-threaded-diameter/dp/B0041IJILE/ref=pd_sbs_indust_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1J9NKPMS8ZE0M0KD7R03
and then you need the 25 buck vacuum adaptor: http://www.amazon.com/Hole-Pro-Shield-Vacuum-Adapter/dp/B003GDNR30/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_img_y

I've always just cobbled up something that I stole out of the kitchen.

Steve Wilde
03-27-2015, 4:58 PM
A dust shroud (http://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWE46150-5-Inch-Surface-Grinding/dp/B009EKDSB0/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1427481330&sr=8-13&keywords=dewalt+dust+extractor) is what you're looking for, I believe.

This may be silly but a Cool Whip container upside-down with a hole for the drill/bit and a side extraction of a vacuum hose ought to do the trick.
I did this when drilling a hole in sheetrock for a new can light, although I didn't use a cool whip container. People actually like that stuff? I used a plastic tray that is used to put under house plants, I think I paid 75 cents for the thing, and it worked like a charm!

Patrick Walsh
03-27-2015, 5:25 PM
Festool makes a accessory just for this purpose. I think its not available in the united states though. If you go tothe festool forum there is a guy that imports stuff to the US thats only available over seas..

i think his handle is Smartanblass or something. I purchased from him twice and all went perfect.

Ed Labadie
04-03-2015, 10:39 PM
Well...I received my new Bosch HDC200 today, headed for the shop to play with it asap. :D

Upon reading the instructions, they didn't recommend using it on wood as the chips would plug the exhaust port, to bad, I'm doing it anyway. :D

Both the small & large Festool vac. hoses fit it. The large one isn't as tight as the smaller one, I used the large one.

I used a piece of 1 1/4" Ash for my tests.

1st was a 1/2 brad point drill, NO problem almost 100% chip collection. From there, went to a 3/4" Forstener bit, easy money there too, next was a 1 1/8" spade bit, not a problem, I'm seeing a trend.... :D. Lastly, I removed the brush and went at it with a 2 1/2" hole saw, once again, almost NO chips/dust.

I'm impressed. Bill, I think this will do what you need without a problem.

Ed

William A Johnston
04-04-2015, 6:31 AM
I ordered the Bosch last Monday but I have not received it yet. I appreciate the update as I have about 15 grommets to drill next week. And yes my customer has all there computer equipment set up. So this might be the ticket to cutting down on the mess. 90% of my work is done in doctor offices with plenty of nurses that all want there say on there personal desk set up. One thing I have learned is you go above and beyond with your customers and they keep you coming back for new projects and they recommend you to other offices at the complex. And I would rather spend my time making money around ladies in scrubs. Life is good.

Bill

William A Johnston
04-07-2015, 11:09 PM
I received the Bosch HDC250 hammer drill dust port Monday and got to use it in a real world situation today drilling 6 grommets in a couple of occupied desk tops today. I will say this unit is rather large but can accept a 6" hole saw. I use it for 2 3/8" grommets for electronic wires. I had it hooked up to a rigid small shop vac. The hose was loose so a little bit of yellow tape and all was good. When the vac is turned on it sucks itself to the laminate counter top and stays in place. It has a separate chamber that provides the suction. It did not suck up all of the dust made by drilling the grommet but it did contain 100% of the dust in the unit. Let me take that back there was some dust below the top on the floor. With wires and computer equipment all over the counter top this was an excellent purchase. I will be using it for some more work in the next few days and get a better idea on how it works especially in tight places. I will also take some pics. I did not have my Festool CT22 today but will see how it attaches to the hose end.

So far its seam's to be an excellent tool especially for only $50.00.

Thanks to Ed and all other recommendations posted.

Bill

Neil Gaskin
04-08-2015, 12:00 AM
I've done similiar with a 2 liter bottle cut off