PDA

View Full Version : Dead Zing

David Linahan
03-27-2015, 3:18 AM
Well I'm not a happy camper at the moment. I've owned a Zing 24 50W for a bit over two years and have just suffered a dead motherboard. It worked fine on the Sunday, I used it for about an hour. On Monday evening after getting home from work I tried to use it again to finish the job. No joy...just 8 little bars on the screen and no prestart setup. Fans are running but that's all. After emailing the Aussie distributor I was told a new board will set me back $2,911 plus GST (10%) plus postage and handling. I haven't even been able to earn that much since I bought it. I only wish they fit an hour meter to these units so I could prove it's done hardly any hours for it's age. Any way, I said I'm not going to repair it if I can only expect two and a bit years out of it. I now have a nice blue pot plant stand with a glass top....

Dave.:mad:

Keith Colson
03-27-2015, 3:44 AM
I would have a go at fixing the board or getting someone that is good at electronic repair to check it out. electrolitic capacitors and power supplies are a common failures.

John Noell
03-27-2015, 2:43 PM
My Epilog Mini got more than one motherboard replacement. Very expensive over here (but not as bad as Oz). I am very happy with my much less expensive Chinese machine. You can get one delivered for about the same as a new motherboard. I paid US$200 for shipping from China to Fiji. (Apparently the govt subsidizes shipping.) The software is annoying at first, but it works.

Scott Shepherd
03-27-2015, 3:07 PM
My Epilog Mini got more than one motherboard replacement. Very expensive over here (but not as bad as Oz). I am very happy with my much less expensive Chinese machine. You can get one delivered for about the same as a new motherboard. I paid US$200 for shipping from China to Fiji. (Apparently the govt subsidizes shipping.) The software is annoying at first, but it works.

In all fairness John, didn't your brand new Chinese machine stop working and you had to fly in parts for that too? I'm sure the parts are less expensive, but you're still down and waiting for parts, as well as buying replacement parts.

Hilton Lister
03-27-2015, 4:20 PM
After blowing the Motherboard on my Summa Vinyl cutter for the second time, I consulted a local electronics repairman, who fixed it for a very reasonable cost. saved over $1,500NZ. If the Motherboard on My laser fails again, I will not hesitate to call him in.

David Linahan
03-27-2015, 5:50 PM
I think I might be looking around to see if I can possibly get it repaired. I'm a bit disappointed that I haven't had a follow up phone call or email from the distributor. I sent an email stating I was fairly certain the motherboard had failed. The reply was simply how much a new one was and that they had one in stock. There were no questions or advice on how to make certain my diagnosis was right. I mean I operate heavy mining machinery, I'm not a technician.After replying to them that I didn't want to pay approx $3450 to repair a 2 year old low hour machine, I haven't heard anything. In fairness that was only 2 days ago.

Bill George
03-28-2015, 7:20 AM
Did you have a lightning strike or power surge? Sometimes those can be an issue. I would mark any connecting plugs or wire, turn off the power and look carefully at the board, both sides. You might find a loose connection, resistor or capacitor burnt or something out of place. Can you contact the Epilog in the US for help? In fact I would do that first.

John Noell
03-28-2015, 2:31 PM
In all fairness John, didn't your brand new Chinese machine stop working and you had to fly in parts for that too? I'm sure the parts are less expensive, but you're still down and waiting for parts, as well as buying replacement parts. Of course! All lasers are machines and all machines eventually break down. And Epilog tech support is usually fast and friendly with quick shipping. However, the cost of Epilog parts in Australia is much higher than in the USA (or Fiji - as I can buy direct). If I was in Australia and looking at "$2,911 plus GST (10%) plus postage and handling" (and similarly high prices for other parts) I'd be thinking of a less expensive alternative. And if I was back in production mode I'd buy three (more powerful) Chinese machines instead of one Epilog. Less downtime for less money.

John Bronleewe
03-28-2015, 3:16 PM
Can you contact the Epilog in the US for help? In fact I would do that first.
This. I would have started with this and not with a distributor. You should probably go through some proper troubleshooting before anything else.

David Linahan
03-28-2015, 8:12 PM
There was no lightning strike and the machine was turned off at the wall socket... I contacted the dealer I bought it from and they are also the official Australian Epilog agent/importer.

Mike Lysov
03-29-2015, 3:54 AM
I think that is really gross what they are asking for a motherboard. It should not cost them more than $100-200

Scott Shepherd
03-29-2015, 8:10 AM
I would also recommend contacting the home office as well and complaining about it. $2,900 for a motherboard? That's 1/3 the cost of the machine. That's completely unacceptable. Epilog has been known to fix things out of warranty, and this might just be one of those cases. I'd certainly call them, not email, and I'd explain the situation and explain the hours on the machine, etc.

David Linahan
04-05-2015, 8:07 PM
Ok, I'm back up and running. New mother board installed..It was so easy to replace ( Less than a minute). The total cost was $1786.79. The tech had quoted me $1k too much. It's still pricey but without it....no action...