PDA

View Full Version : Corel Draw with RedSail X700

Steven Yates
03-27-2015, 12:56 AM
I'm new to posting in the forums, but I did a lot of reading here while I researched purchasing a laser cutter. I just got my RedSail X700 up and running. I'm very pleased with it so far.

The AutoLaser software is fairly clunky to work with. I've been able to get some good results on some simple jobs, but getting my complex SVG files converted to work is a bit of a headache. I'd like to pick up Corel Draw and use the plugin that came with AutoLaser. I though I read somewhere that the plugin does not work with the latest versions of Corel, but I can't find where I read that. It may have been LaserMate that I read that about.

Has anybody successfully used the AutoLaser Corel Draw plugin? If so, what versions of Corel have you used it with? Does the plugin work like a printer driver, or does it feed the drawing into AutoLaser to be run from there? Before I bought my cutter I was using Corel Draw with some Epilog cutters at a couple of local makerspaces, where it was a printer driver that let you set power and speed in the setting dialog. Either way would be fine.

I appreciate any information I can get.

Clark Pace
03-28-2015, 8:14 PM
I'm new to posting in the forums, but I did a lot of reading here while I researched purchasing a laser cutter. I just got my RedSail X700 up and running. I'm very pleased with it so far.

The AutoLaser software is fairly clunky to work with. I've been able to get some good results on some simple jobs, but getting my complex SVG files converted to work is a bit of a headache. I'd like to pick up Corel Draw and use the plugin that came with AutoLaser. I though I read somewhere that the plugin does not work with the latest versions of Corel, but I can't find where I read that. It may have been LaserMate that I read that about.

Has anybody successfully used the AutoLaser Corel Draw plugin? If so, what versions of Corel have you used it with? Does the plugin work like a printer driver, or does it feed the drawing into AutoLaser to be run from there? Before I bought my cutter I was using Corel Draw with some Epilog cutters at a couple of local makerspaces, where it was a printer driver that let you set power and speed in the setting dialog. Either way would be fine.

I appreciate any information I can get.

I have a redsail, but mine user the older software called laser mate. The corel plugin only worked with vector cuts for me and not bmp. but also am a happy resail user.

Adam Carter
06-22-2015, 4:16 AM
Did you end up getting the plugin to work?

I've just got a new x700 and am finding the AutoLaser software troublesome with AI files. Was considering Corel so I could use the plugin, but not so sure now.

Steven Yates
06-26-2015, 2:12 PM
I have not purchased Corel so I haven't tried the plugin. I don't want to buy a version that's incompatible and I haven't found anyone that will confirm a version that works.

I have been using Inkscape. I do a lot of my "drawing" by hand editing SVG files in a text editor. SVG is an easily readable open soutce formst, and Inkscape's native format, so it's been working for me.

Exporting to AutoCAD format seemed to make things the wrong size with various settings, so I have been using PLT files instead. Inkscape's PLT export crashes when I try to use it, but I can export as HPGL and rename it to PLT and it loads fine. There's more manual hassle than I would like but it's working pretty well.

Bert Kemp
06-26-2015, 3:47 PM
With my software lasercut I was told the plugin was more trouble then it was worth and its just as easy to design in corel then import to the laser. Its pretty easy and quick. Don't know how your software imports corel files but might be easier then messing with the plugin. Corel x5 is on sale at amazon.