PDA

View Full Version : Cedar: Alaskan Yellow vs. Western Red - Any thoughts?

Andy Compton
03-26-2015, 7:23 PM
Does anybody have any experience working with Alaskan Yellow Cedar? It seems to be a bit more expensive than Western Red Cedar, but I've heard it's stronger and more rot resistant. I'm going to be making some outdoor furniture thought it might be a good option. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Andrew Hughes
03-26-2015, 7:52 PM
I've build a few entry gates from yellow cedar.Its nice to work it's more expensive than Wrc. Also not always in stock at my lumber monger so buy it when I see it. I say try some if you can find it.The wood is very yellow but smells better than Wrc.Aj

John C Bush
03-26-2015, 8:06 PM
Alaskan Yellow cedar was used for boat hulls back in the day. A friend is a shipwright here in Seattle and was helping refurbish an early 1900's classic yatch ~~100+'er~~ and they used AYC to replace rotten planking. Boards were 3"x8" and as long as they could get. He gave me a hunk of it and it is a bit more dense than WRC and machines nicely. It is a light color with little grain character. It would make solid outdoor furniture but I like WRC better for color. Both will likely turn gray over time. I have a friend with a woodmizer and I can get all the WRC I need for cigars and beer. I've made lots of cedar adirondacks and potting benches with WRC and they have lasted for years.

Warren Wilson
03-26-2015, 9:55 PM
I live in the spruce/hemlock/cedar forest of northern BC, so we get lots of cedar. Yellow cedar is much rarer than the red, and particularly prized by the First Nations carvers because their carving tools can cut along and across the grain with almost equal facility.

I've used it to good effect on a cedar strip kayak to contrast the colour with the various tones of the red. Personally, I like the scent of the wood and use that as an identifier more than the colour -- and I certainly don't hold with those who say it smells like cat piss! If you haven't used it before, you might just enjoy working with something a little different.