PDA

View Full Version : SCMI shaper t-130 drive belt size.

Peter Quinn
03-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Any users know the correct drive belt size for a mid 2000's t-130 scmi? It's a fixed spindle model if that matters. The manual diagram just indicates "v-belt" which is real helpful.....figured it might be quicker to ask here than the call to parts pronto, who may not actually know. If any Italian tech manual writers are listening.....Put the belt size in the manual please!

we got this thing used, belt is getting a bit chatty/screachy , what's on there now is a 3VX400, not sure that's actually the correct belt size?

thanks guys for any help.

joe milana
03-26-2015, 1:11 PM
Mine says 3V 4~00 (the ~ represents a number or letter that is unreadable). Also has the number 428 stamped on the belt. I know mine is the original belt. Not sure that's much help.

Erik Loza
03-26-2015, 1:27 PM
Peter, out of curiosity, I googled "3VX400" and got a number of hits for it as being one specific belt. I would be willing to bet it's your size (3-Vee x 40.0"). Put a string on the belt and see if it's 40" long?...

http://www.amazon.com/Gates-3VX400-Super-HC-V-Belt/dp/B000CRDLHK

Good luck,

Erik

joe milana
03-26-2015, 1:56 PM
Good call Eric. Mine ends up being a 3v 400. (non cogged) it measures 40".

Erik Loza
03-26-2015, 2:00 PM
Good call Eric. Mine ends up being a 3v 400. (non cogged) it measures 40".

Erik

J.R. Rutter
03-26-2015, 2:29 PM
Nice pickup.

Mine (similar vintage, 5-speed but with pneumatic spindle) is SPZ 1180. Metric version of 3V, I believe. The cogged version would be XPZ 1180. I replaced my SPZ belts on the sander with XPZ and they work great on the relatively small diameter sheaves. Got them at Vbeltsupply.com

joe milana
03-26-2015, 2:35 PM
Any idea what the cogs do? My belt (non cogged) flutters and I have been thinking about replacing it with a cogged on to see if that helps.

Erik Loza
03-26-2015, 2:43 PM
Any idea what the cogs do? My belt (non cogged) flutters and I have been thinking about replacing it with a cogged on to see if that helps.

My guess has always been that it allows the inner radius of the belt to better grip the pulley, due to the notches. That's just my guess, though.

Erik

Peter Quinn
03-26-2015, 3:13 PM
Thanks for the assistance guys, spot onss usual. I can tell you the 40" part works fine, it tensions reliably well at that length. I wondered if the aspect ratio was correct. My logic is scmi wouldnt run a 3/8" SAE belt on a metric machine, so perhaps the squeal was due to limited traction at the base. The XPZ belts J.R references are 10mm, which is close enough to 3/8" to not matter ime. Possible the aspect ratio is different metric to SAE? We will avoid finding the answer and just get the XPZ belts. I like the cogs when possible, they seem to turn smoother around the smaller pulleys.

J.R. Rutter
03-26-2015, 4:01 PM
Machines where I have switched to "X" cogged belts, whether VX or XPZ, have seemed to run smoother and squeal less under heavy load. I do believe, like Peter and Eric, that it is about being able to turn a smaller radius and maintain good contact along the sides of the belt.

joe milana
03-26-2015, 4:07 PM
From the McMaster website: "Cogged 3VX and 5VX belts have notches that increase flexibility for bending around small-diameter pulleys and dissipate heat for a long service life".

David Kumm
03-26-2015, 4:11 PM
The old V belts were considered to be fractional horsepower belts. That is why you saw three or four on old machines. VX are power transmission belts with a little different geometry, some with cogs, some without and both run with higher HP. Both are a much better choice and why machines like saws and shapers now only need one belt. Dave