PDA

View Full Version : Griz/Jet/PM/GI etc 20" planer users question

Jim C Martin
03-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Hello All:
I am considering buying a used 20" Taiwanese planer. From what I can tell the paint color doesn't matter too much as they are all very close in spec. So I have questions that I hope some of you may answer for me:
1. How critical is it to lock the table in place for each cut? I ask this because one person commented that there was slop in the threads (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?55475-POWERMATIC-209HH-impressions) that raise the table so the table could move unless locked in place. Constantly locking and unlocking the table seems like it would get tedious (first world problems I know).
2. Broadly speaking what issues have you run into? Were you able to solve them? Please feel free to point me to a relevant thread.
I'm asking this because I'm reasonably happy with my old Makita 2040 but am considering switching to PM. Discussion here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?229251-Planer-upgrade-Makita-2040-vs-Powermatic-209).
Thanks in advance,
Jim

Dick Latshaw
03-26-2015, 10:39 AM
I have had a 20 inch Bridgewood for almost ten years. No problems although it has not seen heavy use. It is the one pictured below.
I have never found it necessary to lock it.

Jim C Martin
03-26-2015, 10:52 AM
Thanks Dick. My mistake saying they were all the same. The one I'm considering is a different model that looks like this:

Rod Sheridan
03-26-2015, 12:42 PM
You wouldn't need to lock the table if you kept backlash to zero ( always raising the table) when planing.

Regards, Rod.

Jesse Busenitz
03-26-2015, 1:18 PM
I have a 20" Grizzly and the only time I lock it is when I'm running a ton of boards through at the same thickness.

Jim C Martin
03-27-2015, 11:01 PM
Thanks everyone! Its here and its one solid machine. No snipe and no slop in the table at all.
Cheers,
Jim

Robert Engel
03-28-2015, 7:30 AM
I have an older Grizzly 20" model.
Like you observed, it is basically the identical machine to the PM, with the exception of extension rollers instead of table and probably electrics

I have not sense any "slop" in the machine at all and I do not tighten the column knobs routinely.
However, when I get close to final thickness, I do tighten the front one (just because).

The only issue I have is feeding rough stock through can require some pushing.
This is mostly because I'm too lazy to raise and reset the bed rollers.