PDA

View Full Version : Altendorf Slider Nickel Test

Gregory Stahl
03-25-2015, 11:04 PM
I bought a new Altendorf F45 slider last summer and have really enjoyed using it. I always show guests my "Penny Test" on this saw--the nickel test using a penny instead. I uploaded a youtube video of this test. Search Altendorf Nickel or Altendorf Penny and it should come up.

I just wanted to share as I think Altendorf makes a great machine that is often overlooked by the serious hobbiest and small business.

I plan to produce more videos showing how I use my F45 to make furniture. This was just a quick test shot after work today.

Thanks--Greg Stahl

Mike Delyster
03-25-2015, 11:16 PM
Here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHopnW9aAao

Cool Greg

David Kumm
03-26-2015, 12:05 AM
Really neat. You are correct, Altendorf is right up there with Martin. There are lots of used ones out there but have some a little wary due to the phenolic way thing. Often not an issue. The F45 should not be confused with the WA series. F45 is the real deal. Dave

mreza Salav
03-26-2015, 12:05 AM
heh... the penny rotates, so not acceptable!
Very cool...

Keith Weber
03-26-2015, 6:45 AM
Greg, that penny rotating is very bad. I'd get rid of it if I were you. LOL!

Congrats on the new saw. I've got a 2001 model that I picked up last year that sat in storage for 12 years. I smile every time I use it. Ive got digital readouts, but I have to manually position the fences and stops, though. Just as well, I need something to keep me busy! I'm looking forward to your upcoming videos.

David brought up the phenolic ways on older machines. I believe it was 1999 when they switched to the the chromed ways on the F45.

Bill Adamsen
03-26-2015, 7:13 AM
Very nice machine. Good luck and keep us posted on what you build!

Steve Rozmiarek
03-26-2015, 9:03 AM
Hey, I've got to try that, maybe with an old dime though... :)

Have fun with your saw, it looks like a keeper!

Peter Quinn
03-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Cool vid. I use an F-45 every day at work, love them. Not sure you need to be a serious hobbiest to buy one, really you need only be a wealthy one with lots of space and a decent 3 phase set up. I'd have one in the home shop but Stiles wouldn't deliver it to my basement! One thing we can all agree on is they are fantastic machines.

Gregory Stahl
04-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the comments guys!

Thought about reshooting--but I decided the penny rotating from the wind is evidence it is sitting on a nice round edge and not on a flat spot!

peter gagliardi
04-01-2015, 12:28 PM
Ya, my Martin T75 PreX cant do that.:D

Ray Newman
04-01-2015, 1:45 PM
Now that is impressive! As an old friend would say "Teutonic engineering and manufacturing at its best!"

Gregory Stahl
04-01-2015, 7:18 PM
Ya, my Martin T75 PreX cant do that.:D

Nice saw--I almost purchased one!

Mike Heidrick
04-02-2015, 12:11 AM
Sweet saw!

Mark Wooden
04-02-2015, 8:43 AM
Altendorf invented the euro style sliding tablesaw-

http://www.altendorf.de/en/company/history.html

peter gagliardi
04-02-2015, 10:27 AM
Yes, they do claim to have invented the "euro style" slider, but sliders were made and used in Britain, and the U.S. for about 50 years prior.
One has to wonder, that it wasn't so much invent, as expand on an existing technology.
Still great machines.
It seems that at this level of machine, after talking to various shop owners, you are either an Altendorf, or a Martin fan. Like Ford vs Chevy I suppose, but not a lot of crossing the aisle.

David Kumm
04-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Yes, they do claim to have invented the "euro style" slider, but sliders were made and used in Britain, and the U.S. for about 50 years prior.
One has to wonder, that it wasn't so much invent, as expand on an existing technology.
Still great machines.
It seems that at this level of machine, after talking to various shop owners, you are either an Altendorf, or a Martin fan. Like Ford vs Chevy I suppose, but not a lot of crossing the aisle.

More like Mercedes vs BMW. There is nothing like them anymore in the traditional slider market. They both make lower end stuff too, or at least source and rebadge it. Dave

peter gagliardi
04-02-2015, 12:32 PM
Interesting you say that Dave. I asked my dealer about outsourced lower end Martin machines, and he replied that to his knowledge they were all made in Germany, but I have to wonder.......

David Kumm
04-02-2015, 1:05 PM
Interesting you say that Dave. I asked my dealer about outsourced lower end Martin machines, and he replied that to his knowledge they were all made in Germany, but I have to wonder.......

Lower end Martin are rebadged - with some changes - Griggio. Dave

Gregory Stahl
04-02-2015, 2:30 PM
I had an opportunity to look over the WA 80 at Stiles showroom. I was very impressed and would take this machine over a Felder. I think it is priced better too. The WA 80 is manufactured on the same assembly line as the F45 and shares the same sliding table.

The nice thing with Altendorf/Stiles--one price includes just about everything and Stiles had 6 in stock when I bought mine.

Another benefit is just about any part can be had in less than 24-hours!

If anyone is looking for a new slider--I highly recommend calling Stiles and give them a chance!

David Kumm
04-02-2015, 4:18 PM
Greg, which level of Felder or format would you come the WA too? Does that mean that both are now manufactured in Europe or has the F45 moved to wherever the WA is built? I was thinking that WA used to be built in China but may have moved now that their wages are up vs the quality. Dave

Gregory Stahl
04-02-2015, 6:43 PM
Greg, which level of Felder or format would you come the WA too? Does that mean that both are now manufactured in Europe or has the F45 moved to wherever the WA is built? I was thinking that WA used to be built in China but may have moved now that their wages are up vs the quality. Dave

The WA 80 has always been made in Germany as far as I know--the promotional literature from 2003 says the saw is completely made in Germany. Altendorf has a promotional video showing F45s, F45 Elmos and WA80s coming down the assembly line all mixed together. The current manual still states "Made in Germany". The WA 8 is likely the saw you are thinking of that has asian origins. I never have seen a WA 8 in person. My F45 is definitely from Germany.

I believe the WA 80 exceeds the Felder 940-series and Format-400 Kappa saws performance-wise and at a lower price to own for equivalent options. I worked with Felder quoting many machines this past summer including the 940 and Format 400. The quoted price of the saw gets one excited, but then you start adding options and extras and the price skyrockets! Felder did not seem interested in selling me a Format 550 machine even though I asked for quotes several times.

I know the Felder 900 series very well, I owned a k915 for the past 5+ years and have made electrical repairs to the saw myself. Felder reps told me the new 940 is the same as the old 900-series, just a new look.

The sliding table on the Altendorf is far superior to Felder's offering--my opinion having used both. The WA 80 includes the same high-end table as used on the larger machines, just not the infinite table locking option. I believe Altendorf gives a 10-year warranty on the tables. The cost to rebuild a table is about $100 or maybe less for all the wear items!

Sorry to ramble on--I am very proud of my Altendorf--money well spent. Stiles service and support is phenomenal--even to just a small time guy like me.

You are welcome to stop by if you make it to the Madison area--check the saw out for yourself.

Larry Edgerton
04-02-2015, 7:46 PM
Thanks for the writeup Gregory, I need a new saw and have been reading in hopes that work picks back up or I win the lottery. F45 is on my short list, but probably used. I have dealt with Stiles before and it was a good experiance as well.