PDA

View Full Version : Router Lift Suggestions

Mark Blatter
03-25-2015, 11:55 AM
I am looking to add a router lift to my shop built router table. I searched through the various posts on SMC as well as read some reviews on the web, but thought getting suggestions direct would be helpful.

I have a PC 7518 and love it. My top is a shop built out of double thick 3/4" Baltic Birch. I just have gotten tired of pulling the entire router to change bits, make height adjustments, etc. I have some money set aside from a couple of side jobs and thought this would be the best place to put it.

I am looking at the Jessem Mast-R-Lift2, as well as the comparable Incra, Kreg and Woodpecker models, though would willing look at other options too. I would love to hear what you don't like about yours, or ones you have used.

Thanks for your advice.

Bill Huber
03-25-2015, 12:22 PM
I have the Jessem in the Mast-R-Lift2, I have the PC 75189 in it and it works really well.

There is no question that it is made very well and it also has a lock on it so even with the big PC router it never moves. It is very smooth both up and down. I also like the fact that I can put so many different routers in it without get any type of an adapter. I have 2 Bosch 1617s and if needed I can always put one of those in if there is a problem with the PC.

The Incra is made by Jessem but has the mag inserts, I am not sure I like those, I like the plastic ones that I can make into zero inserts when I want.

Here is the thread I did when I got the Master R Lift.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?149596-Jessem-Master-R-lift-II-%28long%29&highlight=master-r-lift

Phil Barrett
03-25-2015, 12:56 PM
I have the Mart-R-Lift II with the incra mag insert and have a PC 7518 in it. It's a really good lift and a perfect fit for the 7518. I'd definitely get it again if it disappeared from my shop tomorrow. On the incra magnetic inserts, I love them. Easy to pop out and they slip into place with a positive click. Some don't like that the magnets grab on to the wrench when changing bits but it's a very minor issue for me. I will be getting their newer inserts with the cut outs for under table dust collection. One slight negative about the MRLII - the leveling screw holes can be very tight. It's probably debris from anodizing. I'd get the right size tap and clean them out before inserting the leveling screws. I didn't do that had a hard time with three of them. As it is, I have one screw that is stuck hard. Not really a problem but with a top dollar product, I expect perfection.

Ellen Benkin
03-25-2015, 1:06 PM
I have the Rockler brand lift which is made by one of the major companies (don't remember which). It works very well and is perfect for my uses. Yes, I also had to haul the router out to change bits but now everything is done above the table.

julian abram
03-25-2015, 1:11 PM
I have the Woodpecker lift with a PCA 7518 mounted in a Rockler table. Love the lift, can change bits in a snap. This is the only lift I have owned but don't know how it could be improved on.

Marty Tippin
03-25-2015, 3:20 PM
I've got the Kreg PRS3000 in a Kreg router table and have been generally happy with it. Coarse adjustments are sometimes a bit obnoxious owing to the way the "lift wrench" works, but I've learned to adapt.

As far as I can tell, the Kreg is essentially identical to the Woodpecker PRL v2 except in anodizing color - there may be very minor feature differences but nothing that make a significant difference.

Both of these lifts use the plastic twist-lock insert rings which are adequate but I think a set of aluminum inserts would be preferable.

Peter Quinn
03-25-2015, 4:43 PM
I have a jessem rout-r-lift that came with my table saw, so while I didn't really pick it I've always been very pleased with its functionality. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of Jessum's products in general, but haven't actually used the master lift, looks like an upgrade from the one I have.

Jon Nuckles
03-25-2015, 5:13 PM
Fine Woodworking did a comparison of router lifts in a recent "Tools and Shops" issue. The best overall was the one made by General. In a subsequent issue, they reviewed one that was not available at the time of the comparison and, if I recall correctly, liked that one as well as the General. Might have been the Woodtek, but I'm not certain. I'm still lifting my 7518 by hand, but one of these is on my list. Let us know what you get and how you like it.

Wade Lippman
03-25-2015, 5:21 PM
I was going to recommend my Woodpecker lift with the detached crank; but when I looked up the model number I found it is discontinued! Anyone know why?

Ray Newman
03-25-2015, 5:44 PM
About 6-7 years ago, I was “gifted” with the Woodpecker’s liftand twist ring set.

Works very well with my router table dedicated PC 7518. Robust,very well machined, and operates smoothly. Would buy another if needed.

My shop-fabricated router table has a front access door to the motor compartment as well as a lift/tilt top. When done for the day, I lift thetop and blow out the chips, dust, etc., from the lift chain and sprocket. Eventhough the dust collection on my router table is about 95% effective, clearing and cleaning the chain and sprockets will keep the lift operating smoothly and easily.

The only drawback is that it is the first generation Woodpecker router lift (??PRL-V1??) and somewhat slow to raise and lower. One of these days, I am going to cut off an Allen key and utilize a battery operated drill to raiseand lower the router. From what I understand, the newer lift(s) are easier and faster to raise/lower.

The Twist Ring set is very handy as the Wood Workercan match the bit diameter to the ring size providing the most stock support. See -- www.woodpeck.com/twistlockringset.html (http://www.woodpeck.com/twistlockringset.html)

Also recommend purchasing a pair of offset collet wrenchesfor the PC7518. I found that it easier to remove the bit as it is not necessaryto raise the collet as high to access the collet nuts.

At one time, Woodpecker offered a reducing collar so the lift would accept a PC 690 router motor and other similar sized routers. I bought one JIC --Just-In-Case -- the PC7518 fails in the middle of a project or is out of service for repair.

glenn bradley
03-25-2015, 5:55 PM
One of these days, I am going to cut off an Allen key and utilize a battery operated drill to raiseand lower the router. From what I understand, the newer lift(s) are easier and faster to raise/lower.

Ray, I've been doing this for years and it works fine. I have little need of raising and lowering the lift quickly except for bit changes. Since I don't change bits every time I turn around, the driver has proven quite satisfactory ;-)

I had one PRL back to Woodpecker for an adjustment I later discovered I could do myself. Glad to have that lifetime warranty. You just don't see those much any more.

Gregory Stahl
03-25-2015, 6:18 PM
I love my Incra with the metal inserts. Magnets hold the inserts in place--they are easy to pop out when changing bits.

The Rockler sale flyer came today--it is on sale for $299.99 beginning March 28th.

Greg Stahl

Steve Peterson
03-25-2015, 7:33 PM
It looks like there are many brands out there. Every single one appears to get good praise by the owners. It seems like they are all decent quality and you really can't go wrong with any of the major brands.

Mine is the Incra PRL-V2 with magnetic inserts. I really like the magnetic inserts where I don't need to fiddle with screws to change the hole size. I also like the fast raise/lower mechanism with a fine tune adjust after it gets close.

Steve

Jim Dwight
03-25-2015, 8:16 PM
My home made router table has a home made lift. It is based upon plans in an old American Woodworker magazine. They sell back issues so you may be able to get it. The lift mechanism attaches to the back of the table. It uses 2 1 inch machined steel rods for the router motor carrier to slide up and down on. You put brass bushings in the wooden motor carrier. I piece of 3/8 all thread provides the up and down motion (1 revolution = 1/16 inch). It is solid - motor doesn't move under load - and easy to change height. For router bit changes, you tilt up the top. Makes bit changes quick and easy. I got key metal parts from McMaster Carr.

William A Johnston
03-25-2015, 8:31 PM
I've got the old generation Woodpeckers router lift with the twist lock inserts. It does adjust from the top but I think the newer ones have a cable and a crank so you can mount the crank to ur router table. I've thought about sending mine back and for around 100 bucks they will upgrade. Overall it is a fine lift as I have the 7518 porter cable router. I've never used any other type of lift but my uncle said he has one with an automatic adjustment with a digital readout. That sounds really cool to me but I'm not in a huge hurry so adjusting and some test cuts and I'm good to go. It is very heavy and solid and stays true. Woodpecker and Incra make some fine products.

Phil Thien
03-25-2015, 8:47 PM
Mine is the Incra PRL-V2 with magnetic inserts. I really like the magnetic inserts where I don't need to fiddle with screws to change the hole size. I also like the fast raise/lower mechanism with a fine tune adjust after it gets close.

Steve

This is critical. I have a Jessem that uses a spanner wrench to remove/reinstall the inserts and it works great. And I've seen the magnetic ones, too.

But the designs with 3-4 Phillips head screws? That would be a non-starter for me. No way would I mess around with multiple screws each time I wanted to change bits.

mike mcilroy
03-25-2015, 9:20 PM
+1 for the MastRLift 2 used it today, 3 bit changes and a little smile when I thought back to the "old days" of trying to change bits under the table. Perfect timing for your post. I've thought about the drill and allen key but it takes so little time already I haven't bothered. Probably some day if I'm bored.

ed vitanovec
03-25-2015, 9:25 PM
Take a look at Woodtek Deluxe Router Lift sold thru Woodworks Supply, it is identical to the Excalibur lift. They will have more in stock soon.

http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?partnum=165-545

Tom Morassini
03-25-2015, 10:11 PM
I've got the Incra Mast-R-Lift II and love it. What I like the most over the JessEm version is the Magnalock rings, and I recently upgraded to the CleanSweep rings and combined with the CleanSweep downdraft box does an excellent job of dust collection (only did a few projects so far with this setup).

Phil Barrett
03-25-2015, 11:36 PM
The "Incra" Mast-R-Lift II is actually just a rebagged Jessem lift with the Incra magnetic inserts. Everything else is the same. In fact, my Incra MRLII came from Jessem. And the rockler one is also a rebagged jessem lift (with a smaller plate).

Steve Peterson
03-26-2015, 10:51 AM
I've got the Incra Mast-R-Lift II and love it. What I like the most over the JessEm version is the Magnalock rings, and I recently upgraded to the CleanSweep rings and combined with the CleanSweep downdraft box does an excellent job of dust collection (only did a few projects so far with this setup).

I saw the CleanSweep inserts recently, but I already have a full stack of the normal inserts. I am thinking of drilling a few holes in my inserts to be equivalent.

Steve

Mark Blatter
03-26-2015, 12:19 PM
"One of these days, I am going to cut off an Allen key and utilize a battery operated drill to raise and lower the router. From what I understand, the newer lift(s) are easier and faster to raise/lower. "

I saw an episode on the cooking channel where Alton Brown did this with a rather large pepper grinder. He ground pepper really fast once it was connected to a cordless driver.

As I see it, there are four categories, listed in no particular order. 1) There are the Jessem / Incra options. 2) the Woodpecker / Kreg options, 3) Excalibur / Woodtek, and 4) miscellaneous ones such as Rockler and Woodhaven.

I wish I could put my hands on these and get an actual feel for them. There is much about the Excaliber that I like. They have a link on their page that takes you to Fine Woodworking's review of lifts. I have to think about this some more and perhaps stop in to the Woodcraft store and see what they have on hand. I will let you know what I decide and provide a review.

Anyone out there used or

David Helm
03-26-2015, 2:02 PM
I have the Jessem Rout-R-Lift. If you are using a midsize router this is a great way to go. It won't handle the larger routers, but for under $200 it is a bargain. I am very happy with it.

DOUG ANGEL
03-26-2015, 2:38 PM
I have the Jessem Masterlift II on an older Bench Dog router table, love it.

Mike Hollingsworth
03-26-2015, 3:22 PM
Nothing like Cast Iron to hold that baby still.

John Sanford
03-27-2015, 1:57 PM
Anybody have feedback on the Benchdog? Is it made by someone else, or a unique beastie in its own right?

Jim Dwight
03-27-2015, 2:47 PM
Nothing like Cast Iron to hold that baby still.

Cast iron is good but my homemade table of 3/4 plywood is over 200 lbs. It holds the router very nicely with near zero vibration felt by the operator. Wood in sufficient quantity works pretty well too. My guide rods for the home made lift are 1 inch diameter. I haven't seen any commercial lifts near that heavy duty.

David B Thornton
03-27-2015, 3:05 PM
I was searching through plans the other day and came across this custom made router lift. I don't know if it has any problems and such, but it seems to work pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnpZLYPDTeE

Phil Barrett
03-27-2015, 7:17 PM
I was searching through plans the other day and came across this custom made router lift. I don't know if it has any problems and such, but it seems to work pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnpZLYPDTeE

That's pretty clever. I wonder how solidly it holds it's level. In the comments he says he uses the lock on the plunge base which sort of negates the point of having a lift. I like my MastRLift II with it's above table everything including lock.

james glenn
03-27-2015, 7:29 PM
I too have the Jessem Mast-R-Lift2, but with the big Milwaukee in it; installed in the General Cast Wing. I love it and it works great, smooth, easy to change bits, an I like the locking inserts which are quick to change. I would be it again in a heartbeat if I ever needed one. I hooked up the Wixley digital gauge on it for great accuracy and recommend that as well.

Rich Riddle
03-28-2015, 4:14 AM
Like many here, I use the Incra with the magnetic inserts. Works like a dream.

James Bilsky
03-28-2015, 7:54 AM
Hello
I have the Benchdog cast iron router table and lift with the PC 3.25hp router in a custom cabinet, originally had it as wing of a contractor table saw.. I really like the setup, one nice benefit of a cast iron top is that it damps vibration very nicely. I believe that they are unique to themselves, i havent seen any other like it on the market.

Jim

Clay Crocker
03-28-2015, 11:05 AM
I have the Benchdog ProLift with a PC 7518. Been using the ProLift for 7-8 years now and it has always worked flawlessly. Heavy duty and sturdily built.

Mark Blatter
03-31-2015, 4:47 PM
Take a look at Woodtek Deluxe Router Lift sold thru Woodworks Supply, it is identical to the Excalibur lift. They will have more in stock soon.

http://woodworker.com/fullpres.asp?partnum=165-545

Ed, do you have the Woodtek lift? I keep coming back to it or the Excalibur, but want to get someone's thoughts that has used either.

Thanks

Len Rosenberg
03-31-2015, 9:20 PM
I bought the General Excalibur cast iron router table and lift last year. I hesitated at the price, but turns out to be one of the best additions to my shop. It is rock solid, smooth as silk, easy to adjust, great dust collection, and the lift mechanism is a pleasure. Easy and quick to raise/lower, and holds its setting with no problem. I'm running a Milwaukee 5625-20 router in it. I actually enjoy making moldings on it. Highly recommend it. I see Woodtek has recently come out with one that looks like an exact clone of the General, other than the colors. About the same price, too.

Mark Blatter
04-01-2015, 11:31 AM
I bought the General Excalibur cast iron router table and lift last year. I hesitated at the price, but turns out to be one of the best additions to my shop. It is rock solid, smooth as silk, easy to adjust, great dust collection, and the lift mechanism is a pleasure. Easy and quick to raise/lower, and holds its setting with no problem. I'm running a Milwaukee 5625-20 router in it. I actually enjoy making moldings on it. Highly recommend it. I see Woodtek has recently come out with one that looks like an exact clone of the General, other than the colors. About the same price, too.

Thanks Len. Have you had any issues with the chain system getting clogged up with saw dust / shavings, etc.? That was my only concern, and the price of course. I have been looking at the Incra that, as mentioned in an earlier post, Rockler has on sale for $299. The Incra comes with the insert plates, but the Woodtek does not, so you pay $45 for the set.

Len Rosenberg
04-01-2015, 7:08 PM
Mark, no issues of any kind. The dust collection has intakes on the top and bottom of the saw, the result is a nearly dustless routing experience. I make sure to use an insert that is close in diameter to the bit, and move the left and right fence sections very close to the bit. After a recent project I opened the door on the under table enclosure, and there was hardly any saw dust inside.

Len

ed vitanovec
04-02-2015, 10:19 PM
Ed, do you have the Woodtek lift? I keep coming back to it or the Excalibur, but want to get someone's thoughts that has used either.

Thanks

I do not have the Woodtek yet, it is on my list and they are now in stock. I have used the Excalibur and its very nice in fit form and function. I maybe have time this weekend to go to a Woodworkers supply store in Albq. NM and get one.

Mark Blatter
04-03-2015, 12:39 AM
After much debate, I pulled the trigger on the Incra from Rockler for $299, plus free shipping. I thought about getting the Woodtek, and even talked to Woodworker Supply about it to see if they would be more competitive on the price. They were not willing to do anything, and I could not justify spending $90 more for it, after paying for the inserts as well. I am sure I will be happy with the Incra, but something about the Excalibur / Woodtek seemed like they are just a bit more robust.

mike gathright
11-24-2015, 9:53 PM
Are the Excalibur inserts specificlly for the top plate or will other twist and lock inserts also fit ?

Scott Brandstetter
11-25-2015, 3:07 AM
it seems to me that the jessem master lift 2 is the best overall lift based on the videos and reviews I've seen. You can count me as one that is defintely in need of this type upgrade. I have had a bench dog router table for 20 years, which is a fine table, but i have gotten to the point that changing bits is a pain in the behind. I think Santa will be bringing me a gift early