PDA

View Full Version : A question for the Mirka Ceros users

Martin Wasner
03-25-2015, 9:32 AM
I got one in the shop a week ago. Great sander, I love it. But, I'm really bad about shutting the power supply off when I leave for the day. It hasn't become part of my daily shut down routine. Kill the compressor, lock the doors, shut off the widebelt, kill the lights, etc... I'm planning on picking up at least two more, and it'll just be more things for me to forget at the end of the day. Peter Quinn, your employer uses them. Do you guys shut them down completely daily? Or have they been on for the last few years? I'd assume off is better than being on for no reason, but does anyone think or know if it will affect the lifespan negatively?

Prashun Patel
03-25-2015, 9:40 AM
I too am bad at this. It's so darn quiet, you just forget that it's on. Shoot. That reminds me. I think mine may still be on and I haven't used it for a couple weeks... :(

Wade Lippman
03-25-2015, 9:45 AM
I would ask Mirka. How would we know, unless we happened to have asked.

Peter Kelly
03-25-2015, 10:33 AM
I'd defenitely shut it down: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Mirka-Recalls-Compact-Electric-Random-Orbital-Sanders/

Their inverters are made in China. Defenitely wouldn't trust them.

Martin Wasner
03-25-2015, 1:13 PM
I'd defenitely shut it down: http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2014/Mirka-Recalls-Compact-Electric-Random-Orbital-Sanders/

Their inverters are made in China. Defenitely wouldn't trust them.

Good info, I'll check the numbers on mine. Although the shop burning down has it's appeal. :D

Peter Quinn
03-25-2015, 4:52 PM
Well......I shut them down when I'm done, not sure anybody else in the shop does. We've had ours for more than 6 months, don't recall exactly, some time last year they were purchased, not a single glitch to date and they get used a lot. It almost seems like if you leave them and come back the light goes off on the sander and you have to reboot by pressing the on button again. I don't have a positive answer about what is right, a call to mirka is probably in order, very good question. Hate to burn up a $400 sander due to negligence.

Peter Quinn
03-25-2015, 5:03 PM
I just pulled the manual, which I've never read before, it does indicate the transformer should be turned off and unplugged when done sanding, or when changing pads, but there are no strict warnings about it. Unfortunately, I'm never done sanding.....I'm only stopping for today!:rolleyes: So I guess I don't need to unplug it?