PDA

View Full Version : Dust collectors -- Oneida vs. Laguna

Izzy Camire
03-24-2015, 3:35 PM
Hi Folks,
I have finally finished the sheathing on my shop and now I can move forward placing machines where I want them. I figure it is time to get a cyclone dust collection system.
I had always thought I would get an Oneida but currently the Laguna are on sale at Woodcraft.
My 20" planer is outside of the shop in my barn because of space reasons so I figure I will go with a portable system. Who knows perhaps at some point I will set things permant. Meanwhile I plan on wheeling the dust collector out into the barn for planing.
I had always thought of getting the Oneida 2 or 3HP Portable Dust Gorrila. Right now Laguna tools are 10% off at Woodcraft.
So the Oneida portable 2HP Dust Gorilla is $1545 plus shipping or the Laguna mobile 2HP Mobile Cyclone is on sale at $1259 no shipping.
It looks like both do a good job from reviews I have read but there are things I like better on the Oneida like where the cyclone attaches to the barrel and no bag.
I am also really concerned about what I read about Laguna customer service.
Anyone have experience with these? Anyone have to use Laguna customer service?

Steve Wilde
03-24-2015, 4:54 PM
I just bought an Oneida v3000 system and I can say their customer service is top notch so far!

James Baker SD
03-24-2015, 5:09 PM
I've dealt with Laguna CS 3 times regarding a bandsaw and then the driftmaster fence. My suspicion is that their bad reputation dates from years ago as in all 3 cases I was treated professionally and the issue resolved to my complete satisfaction. I don't know, maybe I was just lucky, but I think they are making an effort to erase the past.

Mike Chalmers
03-24-2015, 5:44 PM
I recently purchased King Canada 3 hp cyclone DC. It is replacing a Craftex 2 hp with a Super Dust Deputy on a 55 gal drum. This machine is the same one that Laguna offers, with minor variations.

No way the new cyclone is working as well as the SDD. Way too much making its way to the filter and collection bag. with the SDD, I saw nothing in the DC bag unless I overloaded the barrel. I am still learning, and I am seeing results that are suggesting that I need to restrict air movement in order to keep chips etc in te barrel under the cyclone and not fill up the bag on the filter. I have yet to verify this.

Jesse Busenitz
03-24-2015, 7:04 PM
Oneida all the way, great product and service. Made in the USA to boot.

Dan Case LR
03-24-2015, 7:12 PM
+1 on the Oneida V3000.

I'm one of those guys who researches things so anally before buying that I drive myself and everyone else around me nuts. I just went through that exercise a couple of months ago and I landed with an Oneida. The Laguna DCs are nice to look at, but based on the information I found the Oneida-Air DCs all run rings around Laguna. The Laguna design just doesn't perform as well.

As far as customer service is concerned, I've had not5hing but good experience with Oneida so far. To me, it would be an easy choice to make. BTW, Oneida has a special on the 2HP and 3 HP SDG right now--half off shipping, which for the SDG means $200 savings. And if you order the phone and talk to them right (IOW, ask for a better deal), they'll shave a few more dollars off and throw in a bonus or two. And the product is superb.

D.

Jamie Buxton
03-24-2015, 7:46 PM
There's a relationship between the length of the cyclone cone and the percentage of dust the cyclone removes from the airstream. Short-cone designs like the Laguna extract less dust from the airstream than long-cone designs. That is, more dust gets to the filter. That's why the short-cone systems make a big point of having a built-in beater to help clean the filter. Many of the short-cone designs even have a motorized beater.

Izzy Camire
03-24-2015, 8:49 PM
Hmm it sounds like Oneida is the way to go. Thanks to everyone for their replies so quickly. Izzy

David Falkner
03-24-2015, 9:05 PM
I, too, have looked at both of those and have yet to decide on which. However, about 6 months ago I bought the Laguna 14 SUV and I can tell you their customer service is exceptional. I even discussed it with the gentleman who assisted me and he agreed that several years ago, before he hired on, the service was horrible. But he was part of a team hired to turn that around and, to my experiences anyway, they have done just that.

Still not sure which DC I'll buy but I can scratch customer service issues off the list with Laguna, and Oneida from what I hear.

James Baker SD
03-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Although I was satisfied with Laguna CS on the bandsaw (and was addressing your question about Laguna CS), I do have an Oneida cyclone. Very happy with it.

James

Alan Lightstone
03-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Oneida 5HP for me. Would do it again in a heartbeat. Great customer service, and rock solid cyclone.

Andy Booth
04-01-2015, 8:32 PM
2Hp does not sound like enough for a 20" planer. What does the planer mfg suggest?

Bill McNiel
04-01-2015, 9:34 PM
I have had a Laguna for 3 years and am really pleased with everything about it. Great fit and finish. No hassel assembly except for raising the motor into position by myself. The remote doesn't need line of sight which is important in my shop configuration. Highest recomendation.

Stanley Powers
04-01-2015, 11:26 PM
There's a relationship between the length of the cyclone cone and the percentage of dust the cyclone removes from the airstream. Short-cone designs like the Laguna extract less dust from the airstream than long-cone designs. That is, more dust gets to the filter. That's why the short-cone systems make a big point of having a built-in beater to help clean the filter. Many of the short-cone designs even have a motorized beater.

That has always been a problem with the Laguna and others that have a "short cone" design. Just doesn't give the airstream enough time to slow down to the point of dumping the dust.

Dennis Aspö
04-02-2015, 2:41 AM
2Hp does not sound like enough for a 20" planer. What does the planer mfg suggest?

I suppose it depends a lot on the impeller design, some homemade designs are doing a lot with a 2/3hp motor. But they need pre-filtering because they can't take any material going through them.

Mike Chalmers
04-02-2015, 5:14 AM

It is plenty, assuming that the rest of the system is done correctly.