PDA

View Full Version : Planer head style?

Jesse Busenitz
03-24-2015, 12:55 PM
Anybody know anything about this style of head? http://www.ebay.com/itm/111625499754?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT I'm looking possibly for a replacement jointer head, but I'm not sure how this thing works. Jess

Matt Day
03-24-2015, 1:07 PM
Is that an Accu head possibly?

peter gagliardi
03-24-2015, 2:29 PM
If it has enough shaft size and length to work, the head itself will probably need to be turned down in diameter, thus losing all the gib plates you see. It will need quite a bit of machine work to get a usable head. It can be done, but won't be cheap. Unless you really need this now, I would continue looking for one that will require a lot less work, and has good serviceable gib pockets and gibs already.

jack forsberg
03-24-2015, 4:30 PM
jess that looks like a high speed moulder head vice grip style. Not suited to a hand feed jointer. If your looking for a replacement head you need to match diameter so the rise and fall work on your jointer. there are work arounds but it best it keep it as simple as possible. and if your replacement is going in a Babbitt bearing machine you generally need longer heads than what you have so you can to turn down the longer shafts needed in those type machines. so for a 16" head your looking for a 20" ball bearing head replacements . even still you have to check to make sure you can get the shaft length needed as the pulley side is long and may eat up to much even on a 20" head and you can only mill the long on one side of the head. planer heads and pulley side are not in common with jointer heads and pulley sides most of the time