PDA

View Full Version : Need help - buying a table saw

Jimmy Anthony
03-24-2015, 11:19 AM
Question is would I be better suited to get the Delta 36-725 new or something like this use Grizzly contractor saw? I'm still researching my options. Thanks

http://fayar.craigslist.org/tls/4946219890.html

Jamie Buxton
03-24-2015, 11:23 AM
New Delta machines is a bad idea. Delta went bankrupt a couple of times a few years ago, and the name has been sold away. The company currently running the name has had a great deal of trouble supporting the machines -- like repair parts are completely unavailable. Use SMC's Search function to find many tales of woe by Delta owners.

cody michael
03-24-2015, 11:24 AM
I bought a delta unisaw for less then that, and sold my delta contractor saw which looked alot nicer for 300$ grizzly also has some really nice new options for reasonable prices.

Jimmy Anthony
03-24-2015, 11:26 AM
New Delta machines is a bad idea. Delta went bankrupt a couple of times a few years ago, and the name has been sold away. The company currently running the name has had a great deal of trouble supporting the machines -- like repair parts are completely unavailable. Use SMC's Search function to find many tales of woe by Delta owners. So you think the older Grizzly would be a better option? I can't find a model with the style fence like that one in the link.

Jimmy Anthony
03-24-2015, 11:26 AM
I bought a delta unisaw for less then that, and sold my delta contractor saw which looked alot nicer for 300$ grizzly also has some really nice new options for reasonable prices. I thought it seemed a little steep.

scott spencer
03-24-2015, 11:43 AM
Aside from being in good condition, that's not one of the better examples of a Grizzly saw IMO (IIRC, it's a G1022...possibly with the "SM" suffix). Steel wings, right tilt, no riving knife, weak fence, no warranty ... $450 is way too much for that saw....even half that would cause me to think long and hard about it.

Delta may not have the stellar reputation it enjoyed for decades, but that particular saw is getting pretty good reports from owners. It's been out about a year now, and I haven't read of any systemic problems with it. As new saws go in this price range, it actually has a better reputation than the R4512 and Cman 21833, both of which have suffered with some well documented alignment issues that may or may not still exist....every time I read about it being fixed, I also eventually stumble into a new claim of the problem. I'd still do some research on recent Delta purchases, but wouldn't necessarily dismiss it due to recent owner changes.

A good used saw might be your answer if you're patient. That old Delta for $150 has similar features as the Grizzly and is made a little better...though it'll need some TLC.

You might consider taking a step up to something like the new Grizzly G0771 hybrid saw, or a Steel City hybrid, but are a considerable percentage increase in price.

Jimmy Anthony
03-24-2015, 12:17 PM
Aside from being in good condition, that's not one of the better examples of a Grizzly saw IMO (IIRC, it's a G1022...possibly with the "SM" suffix). Steel wings, right tilt, no riving knife, weak fence, no warranty ... $450 is way too much for that saw....even half that would cause me to think long and hard about it.

Delta may not have the stellar reputation it enjoyed for decades, but that particular saw is getting pretty good reports from owners. It's been out about a year now, and I haven't read of any systemic problems with it. As new saws go in this price range, it actually has a better reputation than the R4512 and Cman 21833, both of which have suffered with some well documented alignment issues that may or may not still exist....every time I read about it being fixed, I also eventually stumble into a new claim of the problem. I'd still do some research on recent Delta purchases, but wouldn't necessarily dismiss it due to recent owner changes. A good used saw might be your answer if you're patient.

You might consider taking a step up to something like the new Grizzly G0771 hybrid saw, or a Steel City hybrid, but are a considerable percentage increase in price.Thanks for the input. The big issue is money for sure, if not I would have the Grizzly on the way to the house. I have ready some pretty positive reviews of the Delta in the past year, but as always about 10%-15% of the time people have real trouble with them. Those that don't seem happy with their purchase.

Jimmy Anthony
03-24-2015, 12:45 PM
Can anybody recommend a place to look for good used saws? The Craigslist offering in Arkansas if slim to say the least. I have been watching for almost 3 months and have not seen anything I would consider.

Marty Tippin
03-24-2015, 2:56 PM
Expand your search horizon, use www.searchtempest.com (http://www.searchtempest.com) to search Craigslist out to whatever distance you'd be willing to drive.

Personally, I'd look at the new hybrid from Grizzly - G0771 http://grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw/G0771 - unless you specifically need a contractor-style saw. And if you're in Arkansas, you're close enough to drive to the Springfield, MO warehouse and pick it up.

Jimmy Anthony
03-24-2015, 5:31 PM
Expand your search horizon, use www.searchtempest.com (http://www.searchtempest.com) to search Craigslist out to whatever distance you'd be willing to drive.

Personally, I'd look at the new hybrid from Grizzly - G0771 http://grizzly.com/products/10-Hybrid-Table-Saw/G0771 - unless you specifically need a contractor-style saw. And if you're in Arkansas, you're close enough to drive to the Springfield, MO warehouse and pick it up.Given what it would cost me in fuel to drive my truck there it would be as cheap and easier to have it shipped. The problem is it's beyond my budget right now.

I have heard some good stories with the Delta but am also aware of the issues they are having supporting their customers too. I'm not sure what to do.

scott spencer
03-24-2015, 5:39 PM
I have heard some good stories with the Delta but am also aware of the issues they are having supporting their customers too. I'm not sure what to do.

You should double check with Lowe's on this, but I think they have a 90 day return policy, which is a pretty generous trial period....

If you're ok with an older style right tilt saw with no riving knife, you might consider making an offer on that $500 Delta....it's pretty high at $500 IMO, but it can't hurt to ask if they'd take something closer to $300, which is reasonable IMO. No rush on that one....I suspect it'll be there a while at that price! http://fayar.craigslist.org/tls/4936339830.html

Jimmy Anthony
03-24-2015, 7:46 PM
You should double check with Lowe's on this, but I think they have a 90 day return policy, which is a pretty generous trial period....

If you're ok with an older style right tilt saw with no riving knife, you might consider making an offer on that $500 Delta....it's pretty high at $500 IMO, but it can't hurt to ask if they'd take something closer to $300, which is reasonable IMO. No rush on that one....I suspect it'll be there a while at that price! http://fayar.craigslist.org/tls/4936339830.html
Ha ha yes I was looking at that one too. She's asking about double what it's worth but looks to be in good condition. I'm not opposed to an older saw, just having trouble findng quality close by.