PDA

View Full Version : Dark Finish Recommnedaton for Wh. Oak

Eric Porter
08-03-2005, 12:01 PM
All,
I have just completed what I consider my second major woodworking project, which is a single bed for my son who will be moving out of a crib. My first major project was his changing table a couple of years ago. The bed is constructed solely from white oak and SWMBO asked that it be finished to a dark cherry color. Once I get the color down I plan to follow with several coats of wipe on poly. So my questions are can anyone recommend a favorite dark stain or dye for white oak? I don't have to match to any specific piece of wood so I am willing to use almost anything to get a darker cherry like tone. Also, would you recommned that I use a sealer in order to ensure consistent color on white oak? I had major color variations on popular changing table I made before. I simply used a dark walnut stain without sealer.

By the way, I promise to post pics tonight if I can get some good finish recommendations.

Thanks,
Eric

Andrew Ault
08-03-2005, 12:27 PM
I like the Mission gel stain from Rockler. It is designed to simulate an aged craftsman fumed finish. It emphasises the grain pattern with dark pigment. It is easy to use and looks great. It is not a reddish color, though. Some people follow an initial stain on white oak with a red stain.

-Andy

Peter Gavin
08-03-2005, 12:43 PM
I had the same request from my wife, and while I'm not done with the finishing I'll tell you what I plan on and then you can decide if you want to wait to find out how it turned out or continue on your own. I have applied a dark red stain to the wood very liberally and allowed it to set for about 15 minutes before wiping off. This has given me a very dark finish, but a little too red for my liking. I plan on next shellacing with an amber shellac to tone down the color, and then applying a paste wax filler over the shellac. Over the shellac I am going to apply a dark brown gel stain. I'm hoping the gel stain will further tone down the red, and also give the finish a more aged look. Over the gel stain I'm going to apply another clear coat for protection. I got this essential method from Norm, but he uses a wipe on poly finish for his final coat and for some reason I equate 'poly' wth 'plastic' and am planning on either laquer or shellac for the final coat. Wish mne luck and if anyone sees any problems with the above, please holler.

Thanks

Peter

Mac McAtee
08-03-2005, 2:23 PM
Peter, get a bottle of green Transtint and mix a drop or three in the shellac. Use a test piece and try it. The green will tone down the red. Add a drop or so at a time till you get the red the way you want it.

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-03-2005, 9:17 PM
I had the same request from my wife, and while I'm not done with the finishing I'll tell you what I plan on and then you can decide if you want to wait to find out how it turned out or continue on your own. I have applied a dark red stain to the wood very liberally and allowed it to set for about 15 minutes before wiping off. This has given me a very dark finish, but a little too red for my liking. I plan on next shellacing with an amber shellac to tone down the color, and then applying a paste wax filler over the shellac. Over the shellac I am going to apply a dark brown gel stain. I'm hoping the gel stain will further tone down the red, and also give the finish a more aged look. Over the gel stain I'm going to apply another clear coat for protection. I got this essential method from Norm, but he uses a wipe on poly finish for his final coat and for some reason I equate 'poly' wth 'plastic' and am planning on either laquer or shellac for the final coat. Wish mne luck and if anyone sees any problems with the above, please holler.

Thanks

Peter

I'm a little puzzled with the application of the paste wax filler. Won't it prevent any other top coat from adhering properly?

Doug

david babcock
01-24-2008, 11:53 PM
what happened with the promise to post pictures? what happened with this project?