PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Hawaiian Wood Bark Edge Bowl

George Guadiane
03-24-2015, 10:44 AM
I was given this wood in Hawaii. It was taken from an ornamental that none of the locals could identify (at the time)... Not Milo, Koa, Kamani, too light in weight and "sleepy" grained to be ebony or black wood.
10 inches across by by 3 inches high.

Len Mullin
03-25-2015, 1:18 AM
George, I'm sorry I don't know what type of wood that it is, but, I do know that I like this bowl, well done.
Len

daryl moses
03-25-2015, 6:49 AM
I have no idea either, but I love natural edge bowls. Great job!!

Thom Sturgill
03-25-2015, 7:34 AM
Good looking bowl. The yellow sapwood and the bark - could be a rosewood. We grow it here as an ornamental so it should grow in Hawaii. Soil conditions would affect the color some.

charlie knighton
03-25-2015, 9:22 AM
nice bowl....it reminds me of teak, except teak is heavy I believe, have some scraps from us north Carolina deck

Paul Williams
03-25-2015, 1:30 PM
The color looks like Kolohala or pheasant wood, but I can't see the detail in the grain that looks like pheasant feathers.

Doug W Swanson
03-25-2015, 2:16 PM
Could be Mesquite. I just returned from Hawaii and saw a few Texas Mesquite trees...

Nice bowl, BTW...

Ryan Mooney
03-25-2015, 2:34 PM
Looks a bit like monkeypod but no one has ever called that light either... Last time I brough some back the ag check airport people asked "what the heck do you have in here? Rocks?!"

So no idea but its a nice looking piece of wood alright.