PDA

View Full Version : It may have been a while since I turned BUT.....

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2015, 11:32 PM
I haven't forgotten how to sharpen my skews!

A guy brought me a spindle to duplicate. I used my 5/8" Lacer skew to rough out the spindle. My turning tools are mounted the back and side of a rolling "Turning" cart I built. I accidentally brushed the edge of the 1 3/8" Lacer skew as I reached around the corner for a parting tool. Woops.....it quit bleeding after a 1/2 an hour or so.

In Lacers first video he shows how to grind and hone skews. I use the same diamond hone he uses in the video. My skews are sharp.

I didn't want to hijack Hilton's thread.......

Thom Sturgill
03-24-2015, 8:22 AM
Ouch! I have tool racks on the ends of my workbench. One, for spindle tools is mounted high, the other mostly for scrapers now, is mounted low. If my big skew is in the rack where it sticks above the level of the bench, I make sure to put it in the slot nearest the back for just that reason - I don't want to reach over it.

Hollowing tools and bowl gouges are on either side of a rolling cart.

Andy Pogue
03-24-2015, 8:58 AM
I am nursing a nasty cut after getting out the Tormek, just to see if it might be worth using again. Short story, I left spindle gouge in jig, on bar and reached over. It was so sharp I didn't know I was cut until I saw pool of blood. Luckily hand surgeon from Ortho group where I work was still at the office. If only I could slice wood that cleanly!

Bob Bergstrom
03-24-2015, 10:24 AM
I've cut myself on my Thompson bowl gouges sharpened on D-Way CBN wheels. Also have some slashes in my tool rolls!!:eek:

robert baccus
03-24-2015, 11:07 PM
Owww be careful yeah. All my tools are mounted very high or better low in a bucket. It's very natural to hold a tool like a pistol and safer also.