PDA

View Full Version : Snoring

Rich Riddle
03-23-2015, 10:54 PM
How many of you snore and how loud do you get? My dog keeps many of us awake. Little dog with a loud snore.

Kent A Bathurst
03-23-2015, 10:57 PM
........ how loud do you get?

Excuse me, Rich, but..............How. In. The. Heck. Would I know? :p

Rich Riddle
03-23-2015, 11:00 PM
Excuse me, Rich, but..............How. In. The. Heck. Would I know? :p

Many of us have an outside source of reference to tell us....wives, etc. Ever wake yourself snoring?

Mike Lassiter
03-23-2015, 11:07 PM
my wife does that, laying on the couch watching tv. Next thing she's asleep and well sometimes the cats look at me like they're in disbelief. Then occationally she wakes herself up and looks up at me like I woke her up. All I can do is laugh and get in trouble....

Kent A Bathurst
03-23-2015, 11:17 PM
Many of us have an outside source of reference to tell us....wives, etc. Ever wake yourself snoring?

My outside source has chosen not to burden me with the details.

And - no. I have not.

There have been a few occasions over the many years where the outside source was found sleeping on the couch. Asked "Why?" the reply was "Why do you think? Someone had too much wine to drink last night - thats why". :p :p

Ken Fitzgerald
03-23-2015, 11:43 PM
My wife says I snore.........sometimes she retreats to another bed in another room. In fact, sometimes I snore so loud, I wake myself up.....

Rich Riddle
03-24-2015, 5:24 AM
My wife says I snore.........sometimes she retreats to another bed in another room. In fact, sometimes I snore so loud, I wake myself up.....

Ken,

Wow. I thought you had a hearing impairment. You must be loud. My wife does the same thing about moving elsewhere.

Dan Hintz
03-24-2015, 6:39 AM
I snore when I'm REALLY tired (hard day of physical labor, high stress, etc.), so I do my best not to get to that point. The wife does a gentle snore... not enough to wake me up, but if I'm awakened for another reason, it can keep me awake.

Mike Lassiter
03-24-2015, 9:56 AM
last night after posting, it's bed time for us. Wife now awake on the couch and I told her about this snoring thread and some of the OP post.
She's just awake mind you, and looks at me sort of crazy looking and ask me "why did they put that on there?"

I grinned at her, and said - "they probably heard you snoring"!

Harold Burrell
03-24-2015, 11:01 AM
No. I do not snore.

My outside source has been known to lie, however... ;)

Belinda Barfield
03-24-2015, 1:12 PM
I snore quite softly and delicately, I'm sure, but I have been told that I'm a really annoying sleep talker, especially if I'm really tired. I also apparently speak in some foreign tongue, which is unrecognizable, and get extremely frustrated when the outside source cannot interpret my comments. I've been told it's quite amusing, but I fail to see the humor.

Chris Padilla
03-24-2015, 2:05 PM
My wife can really get going...just gotta nudge her onto her side as the snoring can be quite bad when she is on her back. She fell asleep on the couch once and was really going so I recorded her with my phone. My daughter and I had quite the chuckle replaying it back to her later. :)

She tells me it's the same for me. I find it hard to believe that I can be as loud as her since I'm a very light sleeper but I cannot recall ever waking myself up from snoring.

Pat Barry
03-24-2015, 2:20 PM
My bride insists that she might purr a little bit but she certainly doesn't snore. I'm not sure how she knows that, but it is a fact. I on the other hand have no concept of whether I do from my own senses but she claims there is often something as loud as a freight train going through our room and it isn't the dog that's responsible.

Brian Brown
03-24-2015, 2:42 PM
my wife does that, laying on the couch watching tv. Next thing she's asleep and well sometimes the cats look at me like they're in disbelief. Then occationally she wakes herself up and looks up at me like I woke her up. All I can do is laugh and get in trouble....

Yes, my friend, we have parallel lives. Or is that wives?

Jerry Thompson
03-24-2015, 2:43 PM
Snoring may be a symptom of something that needs to be assessed. Sleep apnea is one and a dangerous condition. Listen to the person snoring. Do they snore then quit breathing for a bit? Then suddenly take in a deep breath, start snoring the cease breathing and on and on.
When one goes to sleep, in the deep zone so to speak. all muscles in one's body are paralyzed except the upper and lower sphincters, the heart and the diaphragm. If the soft pallet drops back and occludes the air way the CO2 drive kicks in and one has to wake up to breath. This can happen a few times during sleep or many, many times during the course of sleep.
This malady can lead to a heart attack, stroke,and depression as examples.
A Pulmonologist would be the preferred physician to see for an evaluation. A sleep study can be done and the recordings can verify what is going on and if treatment is needed.
If one has sleep apnea it obviously is not conducive to adequate rest but one does not usually dream and that is a need when one is sleeping.
That is what I recall in my days working as an RN in a hospital. No I didn't wear a hat.

Mike Lassiter
03-24-2015, 3:32 PM
My wife can really get going...just gotta nudge her onto her side as the snoring can be quite bad when she is on her back. She fell asleep on the couch once and was really going so I recorded her with my phone. My daughter and I had quite the chuckle replaying it back to her later. :)

She tells me it's the same for me. I find it hard to believe that I can be as loud as her since I'm a very light sleeper but I cannot recall ever waking myself up from snoring.

Yea, Frances is like that too. I seem to constantly have to nudge her some nights so I can go to sleep. I have tried to record her too - and got caught in the process.:rolleyes:

I REALLY hate to tell this, but it IS just too funny so.....

Several years ago (" a long long time ago.....") one night the snoring was horrible! I kept nudging her - again, and again, and again. Each time she would snort or smack her lips or something and stop, only to fire back up again in a few minutes. I HAD been asleep, and now WIDE awake and getting aggravated more and more. Leg nudging her leg, then my hand pushing on her to shake her a bit. Repeatedly this went on for way too long. She's laying on her back and I on my side sort of facing her.

As this progressed over and over; I was getting more and more annoyed at her snoring. Slowly I put my hand on her shoulder on the side away from me and shook her some and that worked a couple of minutes. Well yet again she started and the "last time" I took my hand and placed it on her throat and truly was thinking about choking her. Well suddenly she stopped snoring. Finally it is quite, and I am thinking to myself this is the answer to the snoring problem. I don't HAVE TO choke her, but simply place my hand on her throat and she will stop. Feeling proud of myself for figuring out how to quiet the beast; and then Frances spoke to me! "What are you doing?" she ask. After laying there for what seemed like forever, I said "nothing, why?"

"Why do you have your hand on my throat then?" she ask me. I busted out laughing and told her that I thought I had developed a cure for snoring and was just thinking of how to market it so I could sell the idea and get rich. Can you imagine how many people would buy this? She started laughing about it too, but I don't think it was as funny to her as it was to me. It has been fell back on a few other times over the years, and I can honestly tell you that it has worked 100% of the time it has been tried. You have to be careful though and not squeeze too hard!:eek:

Chris Padilla
03-24-2015, 3:54 PM
The Lassiter Throat Land. I shall employ that some time and see how it does. :)

ken masoumi
03-24-2015, 4:53 PM
My wife and I both snore,I think she is louder than me but she says she doesn't snore ,period.our son(when he lived at home) is the one who told us we both snored. I guess we have our own chorus line going at night.

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-24-2015, 5:06 PM
I have been told I don't snore, except for when I eat food that I'm allergic to. I will wake up with the sniffles & feeling stuffy and when I ask if I snored, the answer is almost always Yes. The LOML has seasonal airborne allergies and when they are in high gear, so is the snoring on the other half of the bed.

Jerome Stanek
03-24-2015, 5:07 PM
Salesman at our company snores so loud that I could hear him in his hotel room 2 doors down and across the hall from me

Paul McGaha
03-24-2015, 6:55 PM
My wife tells me I'm a big snorer. She says she can't believe I don't wake myself up I snore so loud.

Wearing Breath Right Strips keeps the noise down. She tells me they help a lot.

PHM

Dan Hintz
03-25-2015, 6:30 AM
As this progressed over and over; I was getting more and more annoyed at her snoring. Slowly I put my hand on her shoulder on the side away from me and shook her some and that worked a couple of minutes. Well yet again she started and the "last time" I took my hand and placed it on her throat and truly was thinking about choking her. Well suddenly she stopped snoring. Finally it is quite, and I am thinking to myself this is the answer to the snoring problem. I don't HAVE TO choke her, but simply place my hand on her throat and she will stop. Feeling proud of myself for figuring out how to quiet the beast; and then Frances spoke to me! "What are you doing?" she ask. After laying there for what seemed like forever, I said "nothing, why?"

"Why do you have your hand on my throat then?" she ask me. I busted out laughing and told her that I thought I had developed a cure for snoring and was just thinking of how to market it so I could sell the idea and get rich. Can you imagine how many people would buy this? She started laughing about it too, but I don't think it was as funny to her as it was to me. It has been fell back on a few other times over the years, and I can honestly tell you that it has worked 100% of the time it has been tried. You have to be careful though and not squeeze too hard!:eek:

This... is an awesome story. I must tell SWMBO when I get home...

Rich Engelhardt
03-25-2015, 6:40 AM
Salesman at our company snores so loud that I could hear him in his hotel room 2 doors down and across the hall from me
I had three Vienna Velvets @ the Kansas City airport just before catching the mid day flight to Cleveland.
My seat was by the wing in the middle of the plane.
Being a mid day flight, there were only a dozen or so passengers.

I zonked out right after takeoff.

The flight attendant woke me up just before landing and told me I was sawing logs so loud, all the other passengers moved up to the front of the plane!

Sure enough, everyone had moved up to the first few rows!

LOL!

Pat Barry
03-25-2015, 8:31 AM
I had three Vienna Velvets @ the Kansas City airport just before catching the mid day flight to Cleveland.
My seat was by the wing in the middle of the plane.
Being a mid day flight, there were only a dozen or so passengers.

I zonked out right after takeoff.

The flight attendant woke me up just before landing and told me I was sawing logs so loud, all the other passengers moved up to the front of the plane!

Sure enough, everyone had moved up to the first few rows!

LOL!
That's loud snoring for sure!

Phil Thien
03-25-2015, 9:25 AM
I snore but find if I resist tucking my head down into my chest, I snore less.

I think.