PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic

Dan Racette
08-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Anyone get a look at the new powermatic PM2000? A true riving knife!!

Anyone have any comments that may have seen it?

just curious.
d

Tyler Howell
08-03-2005, 11:42 AM
Looks pretty sharp and the basic unit (don't know what you get for basic:confused: ) appears reasonably priced.

Cecil Arnold
08-03-2005, 6:32 PM
Looks pretty sharp and the basic unit (don't know what you get for basic:confused: ) appears reasonably priced.

I think it's a step in the right direction and am waiting for the compitetion to step up.

Bruce Page
08-03-2005, 8:00 PM
Is that the right model #? I couldn't find anything on it.

Lee DeRaud
08-03-2005, 8:03 PM
Is that the right model #? I couldn't find anything on it.Try this: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/toolpreview.cfm

Don Baer
08-03-2005, 8:03 PM
ON their web site it is list as the 2000

Looks like a heavy duty beast. But is comes with retrackable wheels.

Don Baer
08-03-2005, 8:06 PM
Here is a direct link.

http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action=detail&iid=6057908

Ron Jones near Indy
08-03-2005, 8:42 PM
Looks like a great saw.

Jim Becker
08-03-2005, 8:54 PM
600 lbs, too...the wind isn't going to blow it away! I do wonder if that riving knife can be set below the top of the blade height, however, for non-through cuts. That's an important adjustment for a riving knife and the pictures don't leave any clarity on the question.

Doug Jones from Oregon
08-03-2005, 9:15 PM
The description notes a quick release on the riving knife.

I hope they come out with a 5hp option...I have an application that could use a little more power.

Doug

Jim Becker
08-03-2005, 9:27 PM

True, but there is no information about raising or lowering the riving knife as appropriate for the cut. If it cannot be lowered to just below the top of the blade (like the riving knives on Euro machines can), then you have to remove it for a non-through cut...and you have lost it's value for that cut in the process. In that situation, you basically have the equivalent of a drop-in splitter that just happens to stay equally spaced from the back side of the blade...when it's on the machine. If I were buying this machine, I would want to know that!

Michael Ballent
08-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Wow that looks cool... Looks like SawStop is starting to have a little influence on the big boys... Riving knife is a good step in the right direction... Ain't competition grand :D I also like the fact that they included mobility into the mix... Still won't make me give up my new SawStop though ;)

Try this: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/toolpreview.cfm

Jim Becker
08-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Michael, there is a dust collection shroud under the blade, too.

Michael Perata
08-03-2005, 10:35 PM
I do wonder if that riving knife can be set below the top of the blade height, however, for non-through cuts. That's an important adjustment for a riving knife and the pictures don't leave any clarity on the question.

Jim - worst case you could buy a second knife and cut it down for the blind cuts.

Roy Wall
08-03-2005, 10:40 PM

I hope they come out with a 5hp option...I have an application that could use a little more power.

Doug

THey do show a 5 hp model.........

Bruce Page
08-03-2005, 11:47 PM
Try this: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/toolpreview.cfm
Thanks Lee. It sounds like Powermatic has all of the bases covered with the 2000! Nice looking TS.

Jim Becker
08-04-2005, 8:48 AM
Jim - worst case you could buy a second knife and cut it down for the blind cuts.

True, but you shouldn't have to if it's really a "true" riving knife! But this is speculation...'hopefully, someone will buy one and give a full and detailed report on all the bells and whistles... ;)

Mark Blumer
08-04-2005, 9:24 AM
I have had a PM66 for a number of years. I hope some of those improvements (especially the blade shroud with dust pick-up) are made to retrofit the 66!

Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Jay Kilpatrick
08-04-2005, 2:41 PM
I do wonder if that riving knife can be set below the top of the blade height, however, for non-through cuts. That's an important adjustment for a riving knife and the pictures don't leave any clarity on the question.

Jim,
Looking at the pics on the WWJ review, I'd logically conclude that its stationary. It doesn't look to be attached to the arbor height adjustment assembly, and the tail end extends beyond the rear of the throat. But a mention to the WMH tool group at this point in the venture may be valuable for those of us buying one in the next 2 or 3 decades.

Correction: It could be mounted the the height adjustment assembly, but the tail is still to long. But the 3rd picture from the top could lead one to believe there is slight offset from knife to blade... so now I'm in a bit of a conundrum...