PDA

View Full Version : Hello all......pre-newbie here...

Chris Gode
03-23-2015, 2:20 PM
Hi Ladies and Gents,
Just looking for some honest advice. I'm retiring in a little under 5 years from a profession that is totally unrelated to engraving. I've always dabbled in woodworking and after I had made a box for a relatives ashes I had the top laser engraved. That got me to thinking I might want to invest in a engraver for fun first, and hey.....maybe be able to supplement my pension as well. I wouldn't have to make a ton of money but a little extra would be nice. I'm no computer whiz by any means, I get the feeling my biggest learning curve would be the graphics program. I have been reading quite a bit in here and see a lot of folks use CorelDRAW. How easy is it to learn how to use such a program? It looks complicated! As far as laser equipment, I've been reading up on Epilog, specifically a Zing to play around with. I see they are a little on the pricey side but the support offered would in my mind, be money well spent. At least, from what I've read so far.
So...as a guy that has no experience, would be starting from complete scratch, retiring from his current job at age 55......would it be advisable to invest a chunk of money into a system.....or is this just a pipe dream? You realize of course, IF I jump into this.....I will become the new village idiot here! I have a good sense of humor and can take brutally honest criticism BTW!
Thanks for your time!

Gary Hair
03-23-2015, 5:46 PM
How easy is it to learn how to use such a program? It looks complicated!

That all depends on your point of view! For me, Corel was very easy to learn but then again, I come from programming background and have written and used more programs than any one person ought to have done. For someone with no computer experience, or experience with Office type products, Corel could be a challenge. The good thing though is that you use very little of the power of Corel for lasering since everything is done in black and white. Colors are used for various settings on the laser, but it's still essentially black and white. If you just dig in and work with it you may not find it so complicated after all! Is it worth investing into? Only you can answer that!

Bill George
03-23-2015, 5:51 PM
To be honest with you the people selling you the new Laser will have you thinking millions of dollars. IF you only buy my machine. Yes you need to be very good with computers, have some graphic design background either from taking a class or just working in the field 5 to 10 years. Quick suggestion, buy Corel Draw X 6 or 7 get some sort of learning Corel Draw whatever book and set down with it and learn.
When you get all that covered come back and ask questions about lasers.

I have owned my starter laser nearly a year. But been working with computers since the early 80's, CNC machines since the mid 90's and Corel Draw maybe 5 years or so. Did metal art cutting with a PlasmaCAM for maybe 4- 5 years. Just now am I getting busy with the laser, and starting to make a decent income. Oh, you need to set up a website, advertise and call on customers.... and more.

PS If your thinking about a import Chinese machine and have no electrical or mechanical skills, please don't do it and then come here with those millions of questions.

Rich Harman
03-23-2015, 8:08 PM
PS If your thinking about a import Chinese machine and have no electrical or mechanical skills, please don't do it and then come here with those millions of questions.

I wouldn't put it as harshly but he is right. Self importing a machine can be a really good deal for those that are comfortable working on machines, but if you aren't mechanically inclined you may find yourself in over your head.

Jeffrey Dewing
03-23-2015, 8:21 PM
Howdy newbie! I'm a 57 year old carpenter who just needed a change & found laser was it. Got a new computer, bought Corel Draw 7 and learned the basics from a site called Lynda. It's going to take a long time to learn it well. After looking at all lasers around, I came up with 3 names that stood out. Universal, Epilog, and Trotec. I now have a Trotec, 80 watt, speedy 300. I was not, and am not a computer wiz. I learn something, well many new things every day. Ive been at it for about 6 months now and just started my new business, Bellwether Laser LLC. I love it. You never know how deep the water is until you get your feet wet. Well I've got both feet in there, and it's expensive, time consuming, mentaly tasking, deep, but fun for me! These people at Sawmill creek have been very helpful! I do have to mention that the people at Trotec have a support tec that has been great, and I'm sure that Epilog and Universal would have much the same. From what I've herd though, if you get a chines machine you will get none, and the directions are not easy to read! LOL. I wouldn't get into it unless you are very interested, committed, and have a little savings to fall on. Do a bunch of studying before you commit. You can get a cheaper version of Corel to learn on for about $100 dollars. That would be a good start! Food for thought... Good luck!

Michael Hunter
03-23-2015, 8:56 PM
To get some fun out of a laser, you will need :-

1 IMAGINATION
2 Drawing skills using CorelDraw or similar, or a CAD program
3 Computer skills - at least enough to understand the different graphics/images formats and be able to import them into Corel or your chosen software
4 Some mechanical skills and an understanding of materials (as a woodworker, you have a head start here)
5 Lastly, the laser machine itself

It is pretty hard for most people to learn Corel (or any other graphics program) without having an end in sight, so try this before spending lots of dosh :

Imagine that the laser is ready in your workshop.
Download the trial version of CorelDraw (free! - and you need a recent version in order to import easily from stuff you find on the internet [rather than buying an old version cheap from ebay]).
Draw your box on the screen and now decorate it with stuff you've downloaded and (hopefully) stuff you have drawn yourself.
At first, limit yourself to black and perhaps one shade of grey* for engraving, plus red lines for things that are to be cut out.

If you enjoy this design process (or at least find it interesting), then you have a decent chance of making a go of it with the laser.
If not, then it would just gather dust in a corner.

The Zing is a good starting point, but there are similar products from the other "big names" which may be worth considering - Trotec Speedy 100, Rayjet etc.
CorelDraw seems expensive (the more so because there are free programs which do a similar job), but it is the program that most laserists are familiar with and so you can get help more easily. Compared to the price of the laser, Corel isn't really that bad.

* Fine grain wood will actually take two or three shades of grey, but you need the laser to see what the effects are.

Chris Gode
03-23-2015, 9:35 PM
Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated! I knew I was asking a question that really only I could answer, weather or not to take the plunge. I understand the import Chinese vs. purchase of a US made machine. While I have decent mechanical abilities, my abilities with electrical components is poor at best, hence the decision right off the bat to go with a US made machine for the reasons stated. So, no worries Mr. George......my questions would be after seeking help with a local tech......thinking epilog so far but am open to suggestions.
Your story is one of encouragement Mr. Dewing, thank you. I'm a career firefighter and been on the job for the past 21 plus years. It's a young mans job and I'm getting too old and realize my health is what's important, it's getting time to get out and collect a pension and do something fun! The plan so far is IF I decide to take this road, now is the time to start getting my feet wet and learn all I can.....my OCD will help there! lol I figured as you suggested, get myself a laptop that can be useful later with a laser and put Corel on it now and start playing and taking some classes wherever I can find them. I'm the type of guy, that once makes the decision....I'm all in. Like I mentioned.....retiring inn just under 5 years so I do have some lead time to get to know how to use the things needed....I won't be as good as a lot of the guys here but sure will have fun trying!

Dave Sheldrake
03-23-2015, 9:45 PM
It's a young mans job

Like the military it's a job done by our very best...if you need anything done drawing wise drop me a line direct, always happy to help a Water Fairy :)

best wishes

Dave

Bill George
03-23-2015, 9:57 PM
Frankly, I was in your situation at one time and I did have to change career paths.

I'd get started on your plan right now, but instead of a new laser get the rest learned. You really never know what is going to come up, you might find one of those good brands that don't need worked on all the time, come up used at a good price! A lot of those new Lasers are sold with a lot of Blue Sky.. They took out a second mortgage on the house to purchase. A year or two later you will find them on eBay for half price.

Go for it, just get something that will work for you without breaking down all the time so you can make some money.

Look for at least a 40 watt model.

Jeffrey Dewing
03-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Mr. Gode, if you need to talk with someone about this stuff, you can get a hold of me through my web-site or bellwetherlaser@outlook.com. Jeffrey.

Bert Kemp
03-23-2015, 11:37 PM
Don't completely count out Chinese machines theres a couple of USA based companies that sell them with good US support, If your looking for fun and not a total business and want to get a decent bigger machine for a lot less money, then check them out. Rabbit Laser USA have good machines and top notch support. I know I own one and I hear that Boss Laser is also pretty good. I started when I was 63 thinking like you do it for fun and then try to make a little money. I had no background in this at all I was greener then grass when I bought my laser and my corel software. I'm slow on corel but I usually get what I want done, I'm stubborn and hate to ask for help but I do come here and get help when I need it. I like the challenge of trying to figure it out but sometimes LOL I can't. If you thnk your going to get rich hold that thought. Most of th guys here that make big money with the laser is because they been at it a long time and the lasers not the only tool in their belt.Not saying it can't be done but its a lot of work.

Bill George
03-24-2015, 8:26 AM
Bert has got a good point. Rabbit Laser USA sells a well made Chinese laser and Ray provides excellent support. But the direct import route is not the way to go, unless you have some good mechanical and electrical skills like I pointed out. Support for the direct imports and eBay Chinese lasers does not exist regardless of what your told when buying.

Rich Harman
03-24-2015, 1:21 PM
Support for the direct imports and eBay Chinese lasers does not exist regardless of what your told when buying.

I've had good support from Shenhui.

Chris Gode
03-24-2015, 8:46 PM
Like the military it's a job done by our very best...if you need anything done drawing wise drop me a line direct, always happy to help a Water Fairy :)

best wishes

Dave

Thank you for the kind offer Sir! I haven't heard the term "water fairy" in quite some time!

I'd get started on your plan right now, but instead of a new laser get the rest learned. You really never know what is going to come up, you might find one of those good brands that don't need worked on all the time, come up used at a good price! A lot of those new Lasers are sold with a lot of Blue Sky.. They took out a second mortgage on the house to purchase. A year or two later you will find them on eBay for half price.

Go for it, just get something that will work for you without breaking down all the time so you can make some money.

Look for at least a 40 watt model.

I will take your advice Bill, I'm going to get a laptop designated just for the CorelDraw program and play around with it for a while first....depending on how that goes for me will dictate my next step.

To get some fun out of a laser,

Download the trial version of CorelDraw (free! - and you need a recent version in order to import easily from stuff you find on the internet [rather than buying an old version cheap from ebay]).
Draw your box on the screen and now decorate it with stuff you've downloaded and (hopefully) stuff you have drawn yourself.
At first, limit yourself to black and perhaps one shade of grey* for engraving, plus red lines for things that are to be cut out.

If you enjoy this design process (or at least find it interesting), then you have a decent chance of making a go of it with the laser.
If not, then it would just gather dust in a corner.

The Zing is a good starting point, but there are similar products from the other "big names" which may be worth considering - Trotec Speedy 100, Rayjet etc.
CorelDraw seems expensive (the more so because there are free programs which do a similar job), but it is the program that most laserists are familiar with and so you can get help more easily. Compared to the price of the laser, Corel isn't really that bad.

Good advice, thank you as well for your time and input for a new guy!

Mr. Gode, if you need to talk with someone about this stuff, you can get a hold of me through my web-site or bellwetherlaser@outlook.com. Jeffrey.

Thanks Jeff......very kind of you as well. I'll be dropping you an email shortly and please......the name is Chris.....Mr. Gode was my father!

It appears a few of you guys stand by the idea of a Chinese machine and have had good luck, thanks for sharing your experiences. Eventually I'll cross the bridge of which machine and will remember what you have said.
Gotta say.....for a new kid on the block, you have made me feel pretty welcome despite the rudimentary questions I pose....thanks again!!

Dave Sheldrake
03-24-2015, 10:00 PM
Water Faries , Veterans and our services are always most welcome Chris and I mean it, if you need drawings done or any help (all freely) please drop me a line. People like you keep people like us safe from harm and that is noble indeed!

best wishes

dave

Robert Tepper
03-24-2015, 11:42 PM
Chris,

To be able to retire at 55 in this economy is an accomplishment.

You have received some great advice from the threads that I have read. I would add that when you do purchase your laser, don't buy something to small or too low in power. Purchase the largest that you can afford. Having the ability to do larger jobs will be something that you will be happy you have the capacity to do.

I own a Trotec, have had it for 30 months, only two down days in that time and their customer service department is wonderful. Whatever machine you purchase, I wish you the best of luck in your new venture.

Robert

Chris Gode
03-25-2015, 12:08 AM
Water Faries , Veterans and our services are always most welcome Chris and I mean it, if you need drawings done or any help (all freely) please drop me a line. People like you keep people like us safe from harm and that is noble indeed!

best wishes

dave

I'm humbled and thank you for the kind words! We don't hear them often and it's nice, very nice to hear! I work with the best guys in the business and have a soft spot for police,fire and military, all of them putting it on the line when it counts. Especially the military!! Dad was Navy WWII and in some of the largest invasions in history. When I need some help Dave, count on me leaning on you! Thank you again!

Chris Gode
03-25-2015, 12:14 AM
Chris,

To be able to retire at 55 in this economy is an accomplishment.

You have received some great advice from the threads that I have read. I would add that when you do purchase your laser, don't buy something to small or too low in power. Purchase the largest that you can afford. Having the ability to do larger jobs will be something that you will be happy you have the capacity to do.

I own a Trotec, have had it for 30 months, only two down days in that time and their customer service department is wonderful. Whatever machine you purchase, I wish you the best of luck in your new venture.

Robert
Sounds like sound advice Robert, thank you. Also sounds like your Trotec is running pretty well for you, that's encouraging to see that type of performance. Trotec is on my list to look at as well when the time comes, decisions decisions, decisions!

Laura Wilson
04-09-2015, 7:18 AM
First, I'm jealous you are retiring at 55 since I'm barreling down that road way too soon!
Also a pre-newbie here. Appreciate the insight shared.

For all the vets - thank you for your service to our country!

Ron Gosnell
04-09-2015, 10:30 AM

That's exactly what I have been doing for a couple of weeks now. CorelDraw is pretty confusing at first but it really doesn't take too long to start understanding the basics. I have been importing free vectors and clip arts and completely disassembling them, rearranging them, joining them together, and changing them up. When I get stuck on something I go to google. There is always a youtube video, or instructional site.

I have been concentrating on making outlines and using powerclip to insert an object into it. The outline set at hairline will cut and everything else will engrave. That's my understanding. I also have been working on text. How to make outlines and join them together. How to make text follow a path and other fun stuff. I don't have a machine yet but when I do I want to be ready to use it.

So far it's nothing I cant learn and it is fun. I recommend getting started right away.

Gozzie

Chris Gode
04-09-2015, 10:52 AM
That's exactly what I have been doing for a couple of weeks now. CorelDraw is pretty confusing at first but it really doesn't take too long to start understanding the basics. I have been importing free vectors and clip arts and completely disassembling them, rearranging them, joining them together, and changing them up. When I get stuck on something I go to google. There is always a youtube video, or instructional site.

I have been concentrating on making outlines and using powerclip to insert an object into it. The outline set at hairline will cut and everything else will engrave. That's my understanding. I also have been working on text. How to make outlines and join them together. How to make text follow a path and other fun stuff. I don't have a machine yet but when I do I want to be ready to use it.

So far it's nothing I cant learn and it is fun. I recommend getting started right away.

Gozzie

Thanks for the encouragement Ron! That is exactly my plan, play around with Coreldraw and get familiar with the basics before setting my sights on a machine. I do love your list of equipment by the way, I too, have a dull chisel....wanna trade? lol

First, I'm jealous you are retiring at 55 since I'm barreling down that road way too soon!
Also a pre-newbie here. Appreciate the insight shared.

For all the vets - thank you for your service to our country!

Thanks Laura, and be assured, I do appreciate all the insight gained here!