PDA

View Full Version : Got a call from myself while talking on our home phone this weekend

Mike Lassiter
03-23-2015, 1:24 PM
I was on our home phone talking to my oldest daughter this weekend when I get a funny sound on our cordless phone. I looked at the display and it showed an incoming call from our home phone number. What? I was sort of surprised! Told my daughter that was really odd. "What?" she ask. I told her I just got a phone call from myself on the same phone number I am talking to you on now. So I KNOW this is bogus!

I am amazed that anyone would think it is possible to get a call from the number ringing and believe someone would answer the call.

Judson Green
03-23-2015, 2:43 PM
They are calling from inside the house! RUN!!!!

"the call is from inside the house" When A Strang…: http://youtu.be/rkcGm-pWwsQ

Jim Koepke
03-23-2015, 3:05 PM
Some automatic dialers for the scam artist use this technique. People will be curious and answer.

If it said "Rachel from Card Services" no one would answer.

jtk

Jerome Stanek
03-23-2015, 4:05 PM
I get calls all the time from my number and I just let it ring. Most of the time it only rings 2 times.

Wes Mitchell
03-23-2015, 5:13 PM
I get calls all the time from my number and I just let it ring. Most of the time it only rings 2 times.

Don't call it back. Last time I did there was a REAL idiot on the other end. He just kept repeating everything I said.

Phil Thien
03-23-2015, 5:57 PM
Many voicemail systems will skip asking for a passcode if the incoming call is from the DID associated with the account. And business-class phone systems can use any CID (Caller ID) the user programs into them.

This is how many celebrity cell phone voicemail accounts get hacked. That is, you tell me the # of Taylor Swift's cell phone, and I program that as my caller ID and then dial the #. Now when her carrier gets the call, it thinks Taylor is calling from her phone, for her messages.

I gather most celebrities are hip to the scam now, and use a passcode that you have to enter no matter what.

But when you see your own CID calling you, it is a reminder to set a mandatory passcode on all your voicemail accounts.