PDA

View Full Version : 2011/2012 Nissan Pathfinder vs Jeep Grand Cherokee

George Farra
03-23-2015, 10:13 AM
Hi All,

I'm in need for a new utility vehicle to play the role of family truckster and utility vehicle. We like to tailgate at football games, and spend time outdoors during spring, summer, and fall. It would also be my haul vehicle for my woodworking hobby.

So I need something that has a decent sized interior that will enable me to haul a variety of things without having to always rent a trailer. I have been looking at 2011/2012 Pathfinders and Jeep Grand Cherokee's, but I believe the Pathfinder may hold more gear and stuff.

Anyone that has one either of these rides, can you let me know the following:

With the rear seat up, what are the dimensions in inches of the cargo box (floor to ceiling, width, and rear seat to rear hatch)

With the rear seat down, what are the dimensions? Would 8ft long boards fit with the hatch closed? Can a 1/2 sheet of plywood fit?

All the cargo capacity information I can find on the internet is in cubic feet and they give measurements with the third row in place versus all seats folded. I'm not interested in 3rd row seating so I'm trying to determine sizing without the 3rd row in play.

Lastly, if you were to do it again, would you choose the same ride, or do something else.

Thank you all

regards,

George

Malcolm Schweizer
03-23-2015, 11:13 AM
I would check the reliability ratings for the two you have chosen. I am a long-time Jeep fan, but the Liberty and Cherokee don't have the greatest track record. (Note: I own TWO Jeep Liberty's and both have had the window and ball joint issues that plague them. I've replaced EVERY SINGLE window regulator and ball joint, and one is under 16,000 miles. The other has 23,000.) My friend has a brand new Cherokee and has had numerous issues. I had a Nissan X-Terra that we called the "X-Terrible." They also had a number of well-documented issues with that line. To be fair, the Pathfinder is a different vehicle, so I am saying check to see what the reliability ratings or what known issues they may have. It may very well be a good vehicle, but the XTerra and the sister pickup that used the same platform had issues.

My recommendation, however, is to go full man mode and get yourself one of these: http://www.planet-trucks.com/kia-tarp-truck-pictures/dropside-flatbed/4x4-euro-4-russia/dp-vi903318/used.html Room for the kids, and plenty of room for stuff in the back. Available in 4x4. All kidding aside, this may very well be my next vehicle. The wife has already said she likes it, and it has a footprint not much bigger than the Jeep Liberty. (I have very tight parking where I live) Check out the lift gate on that thing!!!

Jim Becker
03-23-2015, 11:46 AM
I drive a MY12 Grand Cherokee Summit. It's a wonderful vehicle...the best I've ever owned. There is no third row seating available...that's only in the Durango derivative of the JGC. You will find a significant difference in comfort on and off road in the JGC from the Pathfinder so be sure to drive both if you are considering them.

As to cargo, I can haul a few 10' Boards or PVC pipe if I need to right up the center line. Half-sheets of plywood will NOT go in flat. You do not have 48" between the wheel wells. I have a 5'x8' utility trailer I use when I need to haul sheet goods. You can see that width in this photo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/GCOS-5.jpg

Here's a stock photo of the interior arrangement:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/jeep-GCOS-interior2-stock.jpg

And exterior photos
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/GCOS-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/GCOS-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/GCOS-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/IMG_3710_zps248ddcf6.jpg

George Bokros
03-23-2015, 12:00 PM
I had a Jeep Liberty, purchased new and it was the WORST vehicle I have ever owned. At less than 19K miles the crankshaft position sensor had to be replaced. At 22K miles the brakes all the way around needed replacement. At 30K miles the rear brakes were gone again. At ~38K miles the oxygen sensor went bad. The $60 part cost me $1,700 to have replaced. They had to drop the frame cross member but the bolts would not come out so they had to burn them out, the replacement bolts were $10 each, needed five of them. The catalytic converter pipe had to be replaced because the bung for the oxygen sensor stripped out when they removed it.

All of this plus the complete moon roof mechanism was replaced twice because of water leaks. Dealer claimed some welds were broken but the real issue of the water not draining was that the drain hose was not properly routed when the car was built and when the dealer replaced the moon roof mechanism the first time they did not correct the routing of the drain hose. For this issue the dealer was picking the car up at my house because of all the need trips to correct the issue. The car was at the dealer seven times for this issue.

The service manager told me that the Liberty was one of the best quality vehicles Chrysler was building at that time. Couldn't prove it by mine.

Not to mention the transmission trouble I had with my Dodge Dakota. Needed major transmission work at my expense at 68K miles. About once a year the check engine light came on and the issue was the gas cap. I replace it once and the second time the check engine light came on I accidentally dropped the gas cap and the check engine light went out for almost a year.. The next time I just dropped the gas cap and again the check engine light went out for almost a year.

Needless to say any Chrysler product is on on my list of vehicles I want to own.

Sorry for the huge rant.

George Farra
03-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Malcolm,

That is a unique vehicle, but there is no way my wife would appreciate that sitting in my driveway!

Regards

George

I would check the reliability ratings for the two you have chosen. I am a long-time Jeep fan, but the Liberty and Cherokee don't have the greatest track record. (Note: I own TWO Jeep Liberty's and both have had the window and ball joint issues that plague them. I've replaced EVERY SINGLE window regulator and ball joint, and one is under 16,000 miles. The other has 23,000.) My friend has a brand new Cherokee and has had numerous issues. I had a Nissan X-Terra that we called the "X-Terrible." They also had a number of well-documented issues with that line. To be fair, the Pathfinder is a different vehicle, so I am saying check to see what the reliability ratings or what known issues they may have. It may very well be a good vehicle, but the XTerra and the sister pickup that used the same platform had issues.

My recommendation, however, is to go full man mode and get yourself one of these: http://www.planet-trucks.com/kia-tarp-truck-pictures/dropside-flatbed/4x4-euro-4-russia/dp-vi903318/used.html Room for the kids, and plenty of room for stuff in the back. Available in 4x4. All kidding aside, this may very well be my next vehicle. The wife has already said she likes it, and it has a footprint not much bigger than the Jeep Liberty. (I have very tight parking where I live) Check out the lift gate on that thing!!!

George Farra
03-23-2015, 12:08 PM
Thanks Jim,

This is indeed the vehicle I am considering in Laredo trim. I've read the good/bad on both Jeep and Nissan and for what its worth I think I'd rather take my chances with Chrysler. Nissan apparently had a severe design flaw where the tranny was cooled down via the radiator. The seals would fail causing the 2 fluids to mix and implode the tranny. Nissan is not giving their customers a fair shake on what has been discovered to be a design flaw

George

I drive a MY12 Grand Cherokee Summit. It's a wonderful vehicle...the best I've ever owned. There is no third row seating available...that's only in the Durango derivative of the JGC. You will find a significant difference in comfort on and off road in the JGC from the Pathfinder so be sure to drive both if you are considering them.

As to cargo, I can haul a few 10' Boards or PVC pipe if I need to right up the center line. Half-sheets of plywood will NOT go in flat. You do not have 48" between the wheel wells. I have a 5'x8' utility trailer I use when I need to haul sheet goods. You can see that width in this photo:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/GCOS-5.jpg

Here's a stock photo of the interior arrangement:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/jeep-GCOS-interior2-stock.jpg

And exterior photos
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/GCOS-2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/GCOS-3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/GCOS-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Grand%20Cherokee%20Overland%20Summit/IMG_3710_zps248ddcf6.jpg

roger wiegand
03-23-2015, 12:43 PM
By far the best combination utility hauling and camping vehicle I've had was a fairly stripped down Chevy/GMC Suburban. (I've had two). You could lay 4x8 sheets down between the wheel wells and close the tailgate, you could take four people two large dogs, two canoes and a weeks worth of stuff in relative comfort. With 4wd they were good in the snow. The way I drove mine I routinely got 19-20 mpg, so not even horrible on fuel. Replaced it with a Mini Cooper Clubman, which, for its size, still hauls a lot of stuff. A rather different driving experience though.

Ole Anderson
03-23-2015, 3:18 PM
To lump the Jeep Grand Cherokee in with the Liberty is prejudging and like saying I would never drive a new Corvette because I had a bad Nova once. But in this country we have that freedom of choice, thank God. Check Consumers Reports ratings on the Grand Cherokee.

I went with the GMC Acadia because it had third row seating, you can get 7 feet of plywood on the floor flat with the last foot fairly well protected with the hatch bungeed, and haul 10 foot trim with the hatch closed. And it has AWD and can tow 5500 pounds. And it got very high reviews by Consumers Reports. Mileage, not so great.

George Farra
03-23-2015, 4:27 PM
Huh.....I wasn't considering the GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse because I wanted something more rugged looking, but if it can handle material goods like that I may have to give it consideration.

Thanks, George

To lump the Jeep Grand Cherokee in with the Liberty is prejudging and like saying I would never drive a new Corvette because I had a bad Nova once. But in this country we have that freedom of choice, thank God. Check Consumers Reports ratings on the Grand Cherokee.

I went with the GMC Acadia because it had third row seating, you can get 7 feet of plywood on the floor flat with the last foot fairly well protected with the hatch bungeed, and haul 10 foot trim with the hatch closed. And it has AWD and can tow 5500 pounds. And it got very high reviews by Consumers Reports. Mileage, not so great.

Judson Green
03-23-2015, 4:32 PM
Wonder if ya can buy something like that in the US? I would have jumped at that ten years ago but I don't have a need for a truck anymore.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-23-2015, 4:55 PM
Wonder if ya can buy something like that in the US? I would have jumped at that ten years ago but I don't have a need for a truck anymore.

I am in a US Territory, but that doesn't say much if you know how things work here. You can register about anything, especially if you slip the guy $20. I do know that the Isusu Elf and Mitsubishi Fuso are available in US configurations. Both are very similar.

hijack over.

On topic- It was perhaps unfair to judge the Cherokee on the basis of the Liberty, but the older Cherokee also has a track record that steers me away from the line regardless of what they have done since.

Again, I am a Jeep guy. I literally cannot count how many I have owned. I am hoping the rumored new offerings in the Wrangler line (1/2 pickup bed Wrangler!) Come to reality.

Jim Becker
03-23-2015, 8:42 PM
George, one thing...if you go for the Grand Cherokee, be sure that you check that the applicable TSBs have been performed, particularly those for the transmission. These vehicles are all software controlled and there were a number of enhancements to the drive train code that improve performance and eliminate or mitigate certain little niggling things. Honestly, that advise applies to pretty much any vehicles these days. And when buying pre-owned, you have to check on the status of those things. Any dealer service department can input the VIN and see the status of recalls and TSBs...you cannot depend upon Carfax for that because not everything is actually reported to Carfax.

For those of you interested, the current generation of Grand Cherokee (MY11-MY15) is built on a platform jointly developed by Daimler when Chrysler was part of that...the same platform as the ML350 until the most current ML350. The MY11 Durango is the same platform, too, with an extra 5" of wheelbase to accommodate the available third row seating. Chrysler's Jefferson North plant produces approximately 1200 vehicles per day of which 70+% are Grand Cherokees and the other 30% are Durangos. While there have been some software issues that eventually get fixed, these Grand Cherokees are nothing like older models. They are also not lightweight...my Summit weighs in at 5300 lbs naked.

Ernie Miller
03-23-2015, 9:26 PM
I know that minivans are out of favor now - for reasons I don't understand. That said, I would go with a Chrysler Town & Country (or its cousin the Dodge Caravan). In the 1980's I had a Chrysler something or other, and it was a piece of junk. I swore off Chrysler products. Since then, I have had numerous minivans and liked them all (Ford, Chevy, Honda) except for having to remove the second row seats every time I wanted to haul something. So ten years ago, I bit my lip and leased a Chrysler minivan. I'm now on my third one (they are all leased) and have had absolutely zero problems with any of them. Best cars I have ever driven. 2nd and 3rd row seats fold into the floor leaving a flat bed that can take a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood with no problem. For cargo room without sacrificing comfort, I don't think they can be easily beat. Just my 2 cents.