PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
03-23-2015, 9:04 AM
23 Mar 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
I didn't get around to posting last night as I was experiencing some slight stomach bug of sorts and was down for the count. Appears to be a bit better today and I hope this is done and over with. Been working on the body of the guitar blanks and have many things marked and almost ready for routing. I hope to make more progress this week and get the bodies routed and cut to rough shape. Nothing else going on here and I am looking at making some time to get my shop cleaned up a bit more and relocate my lathe so I can make my shop a bit more organized. My hope is that will be a good spring day activity.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Jim Becker
03-23-2015, 11:53 AM
I got the new knife drawer box completed and into the island on Saturday. After getting some clear finish on it, I screwed in the commercially sourced bamboo knife blocks, move the slides from the older drawer box to the new and loaded it up. Much better organization. Thus starteth the minor kitchen update project series for 2015. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/Kitchen/IMG_4613_zpsynzu4xei.jpg

Next up on Sunday was building four new doors; two for on the island and two for under the farmhouse sink. The latter need replaced after all these years from some water damage. The former are being replaced because I'm going to make two internal drawers accessible from the outside, so shorter doors are required. The new doors are built and ready for sanding. I'll get that done next weekend, re-fit for the hinges and get them primed for paint. Once I can mount the island doors, I can calculate the exact size of the "new" drawer fronts for what were interior drawers and get those made, primed and mounted.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-23-2015, 12:16 PM
Well I wasn't going to share this until it is complete, but I am carving a wood hat for my wife to wear to a fundraiser tea party where they have a hat contest. I decided the best way to do this is to carve the top of the hat first, then saw the shape out, then do the underside. Stay tuned. I will post a thread when done. First real carving project unless you count boat parts and surfboard fi309768ns.

Elliot Faust
03-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Two Projects for me.

Garage Cabinets:
http://i.imgur.com/EX0mZwA.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Vz4M9eH.jpg

Installed a custom cabinet that I've been working on for a few months. First time making cabinets for someones kitchen. I'm definitely a novice but they turned out alright.

http://i.imgur.com/FpKUG5u.jpg

Dave Haughs
03-23-2015, 12:33 PM
I've been away from the forums for a couple years now, but happy to say my new shop is now finally functional enough to enjoy being out there without tripping over boxes.

I'll continue on the path set by Elliot. Got the tops mounted on my shop made shop cabinets and put up a bit of trim on the backside. Oak cabinets, ash tops and mahogany trim:

Used some more of the mahogany to make another clamp rack:

Next up this week and next weekend: sliding shelves for the left two cabinets, a wall cabinet for above the left cabinets then I'll start on doors.

scott vroom
03-23-2015, 12:35 PM
My wife and I gutted, power washed, and rebuilt our 15 year old Weber Silver gas BBQ. Works like new. We're looking at a new Kamado Joe but didn't want to buy it until we're settled into our new home next year...one less thing to move :)

David B Thornton
03-23-2015, 12:54 PM
I finished up my lumber cart that I needed to build to store all of the wood that I acquired in a recent purchase. Now it's on to shop cabinets and my miter saw station.

Jeffrey Martel
03-23-2015, 1:32 PM
Been working on a marquetry top for a jewelry box. The person who contacted me wanted a horse on top for their wife. I've since shaded the barn as well as refined the shading on the horse a bit (and it's missing a hoof in this photo), but here's a photo that was handy. Note that the pieces are loose, hence gaps.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7598/16864103736_40772e16f3_z.jpg

Shawn Pixley
03-23-2015, 1:50 PM
I was sick last week, so whole recovering, I set up my new desk with the reclaimed glass from a few weeks back. I know, no pics, didn't happen. Yesterday I wasted by flying across the continent into the cold again. My cold / flu is still with me.

Steve Wurster
03-23-2015, 1:56 PM
I jointed and planed some boards in preparation for making boxes. I had re-sawed them sometime in the past week or so and finally got the time to flatten them on Sunday. Most of those boards were maple, and the stringy matchstick-like debris filled up the collector bin on my Super Dust Deputy something quick. So I also took some time to empty the bin, clear out the bottom of the cyclone, and clean out the cartridge filter on my DC a little bit.

All of those boards were re-sawed with a "standard" blade. But also on Sunday I re-sawed some 8/4 cherry with a Wood Slicer that I had gotten from Highland Woodworking. Holy cow was that thing awesome. I could not believe how smooth the cuts were. Those boards were also jointed and planed to rough thickness on Sunday. Those cherry boards will be used to make a serving tray that I'm making as a surprise gift for my wife. I'm going to use some more maple for the handles, so I'll be using that blade again at some point this week to cut a piece off another board. I really like that blade.

Steve Wurster
03-23-2015, 1:57 PM
Elliot, I like the drawers on those garage cabinets. Cool!

Elliot Faust
03-23-2015, 5:20 PM
Dave I love the top to your miter saw cabinets and the levelers are a fantastic idea. Amazing how having a level and flat bench can be a game changer.

Dave Haughs
03-23-2015, 9:34 PM
Dave I love the top to your miter saw cabinets and the levelers are a fantastic idea. Amazing how having a level and flat bench can be a game changer.

I'm not sure I want to use it and get it all marked up :)

Elliot Faust
03-24-2015, 5:47 AM
I'm not sure I want to use it and get it all marked up :)

I have the same problem when I build shop projects and they turn out half decent.... I guess it's not a bad problem to have :)