PDA

View Full Version : Do I need this tool for vinyl siding?

Raymond Fries
03-22-2015, 8:27 PM
I removed the PTAC unit from our greenhouse today. I patched the hole and started replacing the vinyl siding. I realized that the top section had tabs created with one of those snap lock punch tools. I hate to spend $20 for a tool to punch six holes and store it forever. Do I realy need to create the tabs so the siding will stay secure?

I tried to use a chisel to poke a small hole to create the tab and just broke a piece of the siding out.

Any ideas so I can avoid buying a one time use tool?

Thanks

Ed Aumiller
03-22-2015, 9:18 PM
Put a piece or two in your vehicle...
If you see someone installing vinyl siding.... stop & ask them to punch them for you.. most contractors are pretty decent folks..

Wade Lippman
03-22-2015, 9:49 PM
I don't even know what you are talking about, but that doesn't stop me from offering advice...
The place you bought the siding won't let you use a tool for a couple minutes? That seems odd.

tim morris
03-22-2015, 10:49 PM
Without the tool rip your top piece to width, slide it up in the under sill trim piece and put a color matched nail in that piece of siding, below the lap where it's less obvious, every three feet or so. I own the tool but have done this before in a pinch (think forgot the tool that day :) ) and never had an expansion problem.

Mike Cozad
03-23-2015, 5:37 AM
Another option is to run a bead of silicone in the bottom lip of the last piece where it hooks on the course below, and slide it up into place. It's better than face nailing due to the temperature swings you have in IN, it could buckle...

Rick Moyer
03-23-2015, 11:34 AM
No thoughts on the tool, but just a reminder to not nail the siding tightly. Those slots are to let the siding move laterally. Hopefully you already knew that.

Raymond Fries
03-23-2015, 4:13 PM
Thanks to all for the tips guys. Good info here for nailing and silicone options.

Ed - The piece is 16' long and I have a Toyota Matrix.
Wade - The contractor left some extra pieces 4 years ago when the room was built.
Rick - Did not know that.

Cannot finish today as it is snowing.
Oh well, tomorrow is another day.

Keith Westfall
03-24-2015, 12:07 AM
Not sure about the tool either, but if there is something to punch, couldn't you drill it instead for just 6 holes...?

Jerome Stanek
03-24-2015, 6:33 AM
Not sure about the tool either, but if there is something to punch, couldn't you drill it instead for just 6 holes...?

It punches a slot only on 3 sides so there is a flap to catch the trim piece

Keith Westfall
03-24-2015, 10:02 PM
OK, thanks. Haven't seen that before. I knew the siding had slots, but not about the flappy thingy...

Tom M King
03-24-2015, 10:23 PM
The width of that last piece is pretty important. Cut a small test piece first to make sure it has a little wiggle room. I expect especially up there it will move pretty substantially.