PDA

View Full Version : Knob and Tote Size?

Derek Arita
03-22-2015, 6:58 PM
First, what size screw are the knob and tote? I can't seem to find a nut in my junk box to fit. Also, if I look for replacement screws, do they just sell by length on ebay?

Dave Parkis
03-23-2015, 12:28 PM
f its a Stanley plane, the thread is a unique size. There's a guy on ebay that goes by "Nicobie" that sells lengths of rod and a die to make your own. Of course, you'll still need the brass caps for the tops. Lenghts are different between the old, low knob and the tall knob.

Jim Koepke
03-23-2015, 12:42 PM
For Stanley planes the threads are 12-20 for the bench planes from #2-#8 if my memory is working this morning.

There are many who sell the parts on ebay and other sources. The lengths varied a bit over time due to changes in the knobs and totes. There are differences in the sizes of short knobs through the plane sizes as well as the tall knobs and totes. Stanley parts service used to stock these, looks like the site is still running. Here is the page for #4 parts:

http://www.stanleytoolparts.com/number4usa.html

If you are going to be doing restoration to more than a few old Stanley planes you might want to search ebay for groups of old parts or do as Dave mentions and purchase some rod and a die to make your own.

jtk

Bill White
03-24-2015, 12:06 PM
Highland Woodworking in Atlanta sells a Stanley plane repair kit. Good stuff.
Bill

Hilton Ralphs
03-24-2015, 12:22 PM
For Stanley planes the threads are 12-20 for the bench planes from #2-#8 if my memory is working this morning.

This makes sense as I tried a tote bolt in my Screw Chek'r and it only has 12-24, 12-28 and 12-32 gauges. The tote bolt has a coarser thread so 12-20 is spot on.

Highland Woodworking in Atlanta sells a Stanley plane repair kit. Good stuff.

Doesn't look like they sell them any more. Pity though.