Bob Yarbrough
08-03-2005, 8:53 AM
IYO best circular saw and why?

+ / -'s of the different "brand"

features

etc, etc, etc.

Jim Becker
08-03-2005, 8:54 AM
Best for what? How you are going to use it has a lot of impact on what type of circular saw (and even brand) will be at the top of the "list".

Jeff Sudmeier
08-03-2005, 9:35 AM
As Jim said, what will be your main use? I use my saw both for woodworking and carpentry. For this reason, I really like the dewalt. LOTS of power, yet enough precision to use with a guide.

Larry Browning
08-03-2005, 9:40 AM
Well, I know this much. If you are left handed like me. Get one with the blade on the right. I bought the PC with blade on the left and it is now much harder to see the cut line, and just generally more awkward for me to use. So, I guess if you are right handed you should get the blade on the left.
Wanna trade :confused:

Bob Yarbrough
08-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Thinking about buying the Eureka guide system. The saw will be used to reduce sheet goods to finished sizes for bookshelves, panels for blanket chests, wood for shop tables, benches, etc.

After comparing the prices with the Festool saw, I can purchase the Eureka system (+\- 100 in guide, saw "sled", router "sled" & the table system for cutting) and a new saw and feel like I've come out ahead.

Bob

Tom Hintz
08-03-2005, 11:06 AM
I also use the Porter Cable left-bladed (423MAG) and love it. Very accurate, lots of power, the footplate is aligned and stays that way, bevel pre-sets are right on and it has tooless blade changing. Plus, the directional dust chute is very cool for shooting it all over someone that's bothering you! Best, is it doesn't cost as much as a table saw!
I have a review with photos of the featuers at the link below if that helps.

http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/pcmag423rvu.html

Jeff Sudmeier
08-03-2005, 11:09 AM
One of the main things I would look for in your case then, is dust collection. My saw just SPEWs it everywhere, it really makes a big mess. Pretty much any saw can cut a straight line with the EZ guide.

Peter Gavin
08-03-2005, 11:22 AM
Does Dino have an opinion on what would be the best saw to get for the EZ system? I plan on getting both that system and a new saw, and would like to make a good choice for them operating together.

Peter

Dan Rolland
08-03-2005, 2:31 PM
EZ smart guide requires a right bladed saw so that narrows your choice. I believe that any decent quality saw will work well with this guide. I use a right bladed PC w/ electric brake that I'm happy with. Dust collection isn't too bad if you rig a plastic shroud cut from a soda bottle (search on forum for details) and use a vac. No other brand of saw except for Festool has dust collection capability.

Dino Makropoulos
08-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Does Dino have an opinion on what would be the best saw to get for the EZ system? I plan on getting both that system and a new saw, and would like to make a good choice for them operating together.

Peter
Hi Peter. Hi guys.
The best saws on the EZ is the ATF, (works perfect with the Repeater) :cool:
The Hilti 265 and PC/MAG 325.
All with dust collection and electric brake.
Dewalt,Makita,Hitachi,Ryobi and Bosch are fine if dust collection isn't important.
Milwaukee (tilt lock) is better for the long cross cuts.
I think the PC/MAG 325 is a safe choice with the most benefits for a "non dedicated saw".

YCf dino

Bob Yarbrough
08-07-2005, 10:26 PM
What is the "ATF"? :confused:

Michael Perata
08-07-2005, 10:51 PM
Bob

I believe he is talking about the Festool ATF 55
http://www.festools.com/festool_product.asp?productID=FD561-086
It is a good saw when used with the Festool system, but I might want to look at other saws if I wanted more than a panel cutting saw.

I have a Skill 77 for framing/carpentry and a PC 345 6" Saw Boss for around the shop.

Frank Hagan
08-08-2005, 12:11 AM
Thinking about buying the Eureka guide system. The saw will be used to reduce sheet goods to finished sizes for bookshelves, panels for blanket chests, wood for shop tables, benches, etc.

After comparing the prices with the Festool saw, I can purchase the Eureka system (+\- 100 in guide, saw "sled", router "sled" & the table system for cutting) and a new saw and feel like I've come out ahead.

Bob

In that case, don't go with the left-side blade on the PC ... its not compatible with the Eureka guide system. You should choose among the right side blade saws Dino has in his posts.

Dave Falkenstein
08-08-2005, 12:37 AM
What is the "ATF"? :confused:

The ATF must be the Festool ATF 55E (orATF 65E), both of which are currently on closeout spercial from Festool or their reps. Check it out at:

http://www.festoolusa.com/ProductDetails.aspx?id=12&prodid=561086

If it were me making the decision, I'd seriously consider the Festool system, and start building your Festool collection with the closeout deal. The Festool ATF saws integrate with the Festool guide rails and Festool dust extractor. Why buy one guide system and another saw that already integrates with its own guide system. If your answer is a relatively small amount of money, then you probably would not be a happy Festool buyer, since the quality and system design do cost more money than other alternatives.

Derek Arita
08-08-2005, 1:35 PM
Festool is the best I've used for the finer work. It makes the smoothest cuts with the least amount of dust, when used with a vac. I also use the plunge quite a bit. I was reluctant to spend the money at first, but I'm really glad I did. For any rough work, I use my PC or Mil.

Bill Porta
08-18-2005, 11:26 PM
Hi everyone!

I own many of the Festool tools and all of Eurekazone's tools. Festool makes great tools, has excellent phone support, and ships quickly. However, Eurekazone's products have better value - Safer, more accurate, cheaper and better supported by the inventor himself - Dino.

For example, the EZ Smart is more solidly built - it is heaver, has three solid connectors (to two of Festool's) and cuts on both sides.

The EZ Smart locks your saw onto its guide rail - making cuts safer and easier. A monkey can safely make perfect, chip free cuts with the EZ Smart with your favorite circular saw. For $179, you're all set to make perfectly straight, chip free cuts easily and safely. Not so easy (or safe) with the Festool system. My expensive Festool rails have cuts in them from the saw jumping the rail on several occasions - unsafe - and a real bummer considering the investment.

The Festool rail requires an expensive Festool saw, Festool blades and a vacuum to work as intended - a big investment - and not always a practical one for many applications. Add the Festool table and you've spent more than $1000.

The EZ Smart systems works with ANY saw - from my 7-1/4" Milwaukee to my 16-5/16" Makita. The 7-1/4" saw, with a $15 blade is cheap compared to the Festool system and safely cuts perfect chip free cuts from either side of the rail.

I happen to buy almost every tool that comes down the pike. I even bought the $3000 Bradbury Industries table. In terms of quality and value, nothing I have used compares to Eurekazone's lineup.

Whenever I put the Festool next to the EZ Smart in front on any contractor I meet, they choose the EZ Smart every time. Why? I suspect that woodworkers prefer to invest $179 in a system that will work with the saw and blade they already have and are comfortable. Throw it behind your seat and you're ready for work. If the EZ Smart is damaged, lost or stolen you are out much less money compared to the available alternatives. I would never take my $1000 Festool system to work, nor would I consider transporting my 5' x 10' $3000 Bradbury Industries table - it just is not practical for the jobsite.

The EZ Smart makes a contractor table saw obsolete. Cheaper, easier, safer, more accurate. With my 16-5/16" Makita, I can straight line any rough cut lumber - up to 6" thick and 16" long in under a minute - a job that once took two people much longer with a Powermatic 12" jointer. Nothing Festool offers will allow such a cut so easily and practically. More importantly is the portability of the EZ Smart. Try moving a 12" Powermatic to your next job site.

I get the impression that Festool gives the American market the bottom of it's product line - perhaps the lengthy, expensive, time consuming UL process has something to do with this. I think the Europeans get a deeper product offering and most likely pay significantly less. Unless you live in New Jersey, you don't pay sales tax, and you definitely don't pay for shipping from Germany.

Having said this, Festool's jigsaws, sanders, saws, vacuums,and routers work well. The 3 year warranty should be a model for other tool makers to follow. Festool's 30 day money back guarantee is admirable. I believe Eurekazone also has a similar money back guarantee.

While value is more important to me than price - Festool's $175 plus tax charge for a long life vacuum cleaner bag for the CT33 is bewildering! I would be embarrassed to admit to any other sane human being that I was the one who paid approximately $190 for one vacuum cleaner bag.

Regarding phone support, I found Festool's support to be outstanding - easy to understand, plain speaking, knowledgeable staff during their business hours - I cannot say the same for all their dealers. I almost never got a human voice when I called Bradbury Industries, and I often waiting more than 24 hours for my call to be returned. Whenever I called Eurekazone, I always spoke with Dino - the inventor. Since English is not his native language, it is sometimes difficult to understand him. Having said this, I have not spoken to anyone more enthused about his inventions, more knowledgeable about carpentry or more willing to help you work safely and intelligently. He has been available day and night, and even on weekends to answer not just EZ Smart related questions but also has graciously provided advice about safe carpentry practices. Evidently, many others have had similar experiences, considering his perfect eBay rating, the buzz on the Internet, and his money back guarantee.

Having used the Festool, EZ Smart, and other systems, and having an appreciation for safe tools with value, I recommend the Eurekazone's products without qualification. When you combine the EZ Smart with Eurekazone's Dead Wood Concept you have an extremely safe, accurate, clean cutting system that is well worth its very modest investment.

I hope my comments have been useful.

Bill Porta

Gail O'Rourke
08-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Yikes, I don't know what I can add...other than I have a Festool Circular saw system and couldn't live without it. I do large casework projects, lots of 4 x 8 plywood and it saves me time to do finish cuts the first time with my Festool, besides the fact that I can't lift a 4 x 8 sheet onto and across the table saw by myself. So it works for me. But, keep in mind, buy the right tool for the job. So what's the job?

Good luck with your decision.

Dale Rodabaugh
08-19-2005, 6:28 AM
Just bought the PC MAG with left blade,(I am right handed).Like it very much.price was around $129.00:) :) :)

Bob Marino
08-19-2005, 6:35 AM
"I get the impression that Festool gives the American market the bottom of it's product line - perhaps the lengthy, expensive, time consuming UL process has something to do with this. I think the Europeans get a deeper product offering and most likely pay significantly less. Unless you live in New Jersey, you don't pay sales tax, and you definitely don't pay for shipping from Germany."

Bill,

The tools Festool offers for the American market are generally the most popular of the tools they manufacture. Festool has one line of tools and they are labeled Festool. They only differ in that they are compatable with our AC 110 system. Sales tax is currently charged, collected and remitted in every state that Festool has a sales prescence. Though UL is an arduous process and it costs $$ to ship the tools from Germany, the prices are way higher in Germany, Europe and actually the rest of the world than here in the USA.

Bob

Peter Pedisich
08-19-2005, 10:47 AM
After much research for a new circular saw and guide system, I just purchased the Festool ATF55. My previous saw was a Bosch 7-1/4".
Others given serious consideration were:
PC 325
Makita fiber cement saw
With these saws I would have been looking at the EZ guide 100" setup.

I went with the Festool for three reasons:
1) Dust collection is important in my situation. I felt the ATF55 would be best.
2) The Festool saw has the best ergonomics for me, by a wide margin.
3) Riving knife.

Are these factors important to you? maybe, maybe not.

To some people working mostly outside dust is not an issue, to some people the PC325 may feel perfect in their hand while cutting.
I never buy a tool without holding it.

Keep in mind the Festool ATF55 on closeout is $325. That's with a 55" guide rail. If you figure the guide rail is $71 the saw is really only $254, same price as Makita fiber cement saw and you get plunge/riving knife/variable speed. Althought it is $100 more than PC325, for me it was worth it.

Also, after all that research I would have bought the PC over a Bosch. The PC is a great saw for the price.

Pete

Dino Makropoulos
08-19-2005, 9:58 PM
My expensive Festool rails have cuts in them from the saw jumping the rail on several occasions - unsafe - and a real bummer considering the investment.

Hi Bill. I use to have the ATF 55 Now belongs to my son Chris.. Before that he was using the PC MAG 325. At the very first cut I told him: This is not a sidewinder or a warm drive. You need to get use to the saw before you can go fast. What I like about the ATF is the safety even if the saw "jamps the rail". Due to the plunge motion the whole saw base becomes the guard. The saw needs to be connected to the vacuum and use it as intented. The features and the benefits of the ATF then become a bargain.

I get the impression that Festool gives the American market the bottom of it's product line - perhaps the lengthy, expensive, time consuming UL process has something to do with this. I think the Europeans get a deeper product offering and most likely pay significantly less. Unless you live in New Jersey, you don't pay sales tax, and you definitely don't pay for shipping from Germany.

I agree with Bob here. For what you get from Festool and Fein (i have few fein tools) I think is a fine investment.

Having used the Festool, EZ Smart, and other systems, and having an appreciation for safe tools with value, I recommend the Eurekazone's products without qualification. When you combine the EZ Smart with Eurekazone's Dead Wood Concept you have an extremely safe, accurate, clean cutting system that is well worth its very modest investment.

Bill. Take a look at this thread. My son the Festoolian.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=23382

Your carpenter ffrienddino

Your carpenter ffrienddino