PDA

View Full Version : Moving TS and DP?

Russ Filtz
08-03-2005, 8:50 AM
I'm moving to sunny Florida (horay! More rust on my tools!). Any tips on moving a contractor saw and full drill press? I've got them both on Delta movable bases. I'm thinking of doing the move myself via uhaul. Can you get those things up a ramp (with help) or do I need to disassemble (head off DP, motor, cast iron wings off TS? Do I just take the entire fence/rail and side extension off as well? This is a JET contractor's and 16" DP

Jim Becker
08-03-2005, 8:53 AM
When we moved to this propertly, I just had the moving company roll the big tools on to the truck and tie them down. Remove the wings and detension the motor on the saw.

Best wishes on your move? Where in Florida will you be settling?

Russ Filtz
08-03-2005, 9:16 AM
Tampa area, no location yet. The headhunter I worked with recommends Pasco County, just north of Tampa as a hot area though.

Lee Schierer
08-03-2005, 9:42 AM
Remove the wings from your TS or else the movers will use them to lift the saw. They may be shocked when they break off and the company isn't likely to cover the damage with their insurance and you will be left with a headache trying to get them replaced.

Another thing to remember is that gravity ceases to work in the back of a truck. Anything that can fall over will.

Allen Bookout
08-03-2005, 9:57 AM
By the way - I know that this is sort of off the topic but you are correct about the rust. My garage is not airconditioned but I am thinking about it as that is the only way that I can figure how to get around the humidity problem. You might want to keep that in mind when looking for a place to live. Not only the moisture in the air but it gets so hot you end up getting sweat dropings all over your table tops. Lots of fun trying to get up with rust problem. However the winters are great so sort of makes up for it. Allen

Gary McKown
08-03-2005, 3:02 PM
From one who has moved a CS from Louisiana to OH to WA State to VA to PA (all moving van), I would recommend removing the motors and then disassembly as you indicated. I failed to do that on the last move, figuring it was not a long, long distance, and the saw was the worse for it - warped top (after 15 years of remaining flat), some sort of racking problem with the trunnions, bent front rail, and motor mount brackets that did not operate smoothly. One aspect is that WW machines do not pack tightly like boxes or even furniture. I was not there for the loading and unloading, but I think the movers piled heavy stuff on the table top and 100 miles of bouncing on those cantilevered wings later...

My DP, jointer w/stand, belt/disk sander w/stand, and bandsaw w/stand went through the moves from WA to VA to PA with no apparent damage. I bolted the DP to a 2' square pallet to reduce tippability.

Moving in U-haul may be the best way to go, but it is not all that cheap anymore for anything but a local haul and the trucks I have rented weren't exactly "Air-Ride." Considering loadability, disassembly is still the better option IMO.

Russ Filtz
08-03-2005, 11:36 PM
My Uhaul estimated bill will be over $3,000 not including gas. Add $800+ if I need to tow my car!

I ran across emove.com where you can hire local muscle to help load/unload at each end. You can get a couple guys for maybe 50-70 per hour (total, not each). As long as my company's paying, I can live with 2-300 at each end to save my back!

Don Frambach
08-04-2005, 4:28 AM
I made a much shorter move (only 100 miles) a few years ago. I didn't trust movers to treat my table saw, drill press, band saw, etc with the respect that they deserved so I rented a truck with a lift gate (wasn't too expensive) and was able to load everything myself (my 4' 11' 110# wife operated the lift gate). My equipment is on mobile bases so it was easy to roll onto and off the lift gate. I tied everything securely. All equipment arrived in perfect condition. There were no problems, no "close calls". I'd do it again. Good luck with your move!