PDA

View Full Version : New "old" Daves shave spokeshave..

Phillip West
03-22-2015, 2:11 PM
Just thought id pass this along. Im a spokeshave junkie like a lot of you guys are plane junkies..I picked up a daves shave spokeshave a couple weeks ago off the bay'.Its used but in great condition and I have honed her up since this pic was taken..I actually got it for way less than its worth so good there too..Its one of his older shaves that have the screws under the blade but that dosnt bother me as I generally use different shaves for different things and often leave them set for a long time..Anyway I just wanted to pass along how great this thing works :D I have about 10 shaves and this one really stands out..It feels great, easy to adjust and just plain cuts great..Its a pure joy to use..id recommend one of his shaves if your thinking about it..
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/kytrapper/010_zpssussna6o.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/user/kytrapper/media/010_zpssussna6o.jpg.html)

James Conrad
03-23-2015, 8:25 AM
Nice snag, I almost drove up the price for you... you're welcome!

Phillip West
03-23-2015, 7:56 PM
That was a right nice of you:D you know there was a woodjoy deluxe big spokeshave on ebay at the same time and had watched it the entire time..I was ready to throwdown for that one and the seller took it off like one day before the auction ended:(

Mike Holbrook
03-23-2015, 10:38 PM
Dang I guess I will have to do more spokeshave searches. Most of what I have turned up in the past has not been appealing. A WoodJoy Deluxe Big Shave really? I just bought the regular Big Shave. The wide mouth is very good for removing larger amounts of wood. I used it a great deal in a chair class recently and liked it so much I am about to order the WoodJoy Livingston shave.

I have been searching for some sort of curved blade spokeshave. I won a bid on a cobbler's heel shave but so far it has not been what I am looking for to get into deep spots along the back edge of Windsor chairs. Curtis Buchanan seems to get his cobblers shave to do the job so I will keep working on it. I have a couple travishers but I think the radius on both of them is too large.