PDA

View Full Version : Saw restoration 1 hour & $1

Daniel Rode
03-22-2015, 10:50 AM
I wanted a smaller, finer rip saw and happened into one on the auction site. It cost me $15 including shipping. It arrived on Saturday (2 days early!). It was pretty much exactly as expected. It had a coating of surface rust and a few places with more serious rust that was scaled and pitted.

All the sawnuts came off easily, so I disassembled the saw and went over the saw plate with a scratch pad (about 000 steel wool). Then I dropped it into a bath of lemon juice and water (1:2). Every 10-15 minutes I went over the plate again with the scratchpad to remove dissolving rust and examine the progress. I also began to gently work the pitted areas with 400 paper on a sanding block. Since much of the pitting was on the teeth, I worked both sides along the entire length so the set would be removed evenly.

My goal was to make a good user. I don't care about the etching and I don't care about how shiny the plate looks. Once the pitting was smooth to the touch, my work was done. I cleaned the lemon juice solution off with soap and water, dried it and added a liberal coat of WD-40.

While the plate was soaking, I worked on the handle. It was in great condition. There was some tar or paint in a few places and some light marks from use but no damage at all. I thought the finish was shellac, so I started with mineral spirits and a scratch pad to remove any oil based surface junk. Then I used alcohol to remove anything else. At that point I was 99.9% sure it was shellac. So I got a bit of amber shellac and applied a liberal coat. I briefly soaked the saw nuts with the plate and then gave them a bit of a shine with a scratch pad and a tooth brush.

Total time to clean it up was about an hour and the cost was maybe $1 worth of lemon juice.

The back has a fair but more rust than the front.

Next post has the results.

Daniel Rode
03-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Here's the finished saw, ready for sharpening.

Surprisingly, it's not entirely dull and cut fairly straight.

Here you can see the closeup of the area that had the worst pitting. It remains discolored, but it's smooth and looks like it will be just fine.

Jim Koepke
03-22-2015, 12:48 PM
Another one bites the Rust!

Couldn't resist.

Nice work. Looks like it will be a great user.

jtk

Peter Evans
03-22-2015, 7:33 PM
You have it pretty shiny, good job. I always make saw plate as shiny as I can (well not on 200 year old saws), because the reflection in the plate makes sawing straight so much easier, especially for xcut. Saws 100 years ago were mirror finished for a good reason.